Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 10:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/250/199 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default :( stretch marks :(

Yes im only 15 and i have a couple stretch marks.....Im so affraid that when i lose more weight there gonna stick out like a soar thumb...Anyone have these. Are they that bad? People ask questions about them? Its the only thing i dont look forward to. I havent gone swimming in like for ever with my friends just cuz of these damn things. But i think ill be fine once im skinny...i just dont want these stretch marks....any creams or something to get rid of them somewhat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

I've heard cocoabutter helps, and its not too expensive. I've seen some VERY pricey creams that claim to get rid of them, but the you are supposed to get results after 8 weeks, and the tubes are in 2-week sizes!

I have some stretch marks and the good news is that over time, they fade. Now mine aren't that noticeable at all. I would try the cocoabutter and just be patient, they will fade. I think the main thing is losing the weight before you get too many. In any case, you will look better, even with stretch marks, after losing weight.

By the way, I like the quote in your signature!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 15:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/250/199 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 54%

Thankz for your help

Yah its from a techno song i love techno
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 17:49

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've had stretch marks since the age of about 10 when I grew about 6 inches in 6 months. It's no biggee. They fade. But they don't go away. When I was young, I was always thin. I spent hours upon hours in bikinis. No one ever noticed or mentioned anything about my stretch marks. Boys didn't seem to be bothered by them. It had no negative effect on what I wore or how I felt about myself. I think people are more drawn to confidence than anything. Enjoy life and don't worry about this issue. Everybody has some kind of scars from something. I hope you do let this minor issue take away from your fun. Take care.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 19:34

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am 19 now, and have dozens of strech marks all over my body. Most of them didnt even come from after i gained weight, rather they showed up when i suddenly grew to fast during puberty. They do fade, but never go away entirely. You do get used to them after awhile, and they are just part of "you".
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 12:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Get used to it.

I got growth-spurt stretch marks. One day you'll maybe get pregnancy stretch marks. Then there's the spider veins and varicose veins to look forward to, and skin tags, and .... and .... Growing up ain't for sissies, but it beats the alternative.

They do fade over time, or maybe it's just that you can't see them through the spider veins?

The models in the pictures are airbrushed. They have them too.

Trust me, any man who would reject you for stretch marks isn't someone you need to be hanging around. I've NEVER had that topic come up in 30 years of dating.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 19:28

Stats: 310/228/160 Female 5"   9"
BF:
Progress:

i have massive amounts of stretch marks from childbirth and weight gain also. I met my husband after they appeared and i find not to many people are rude enough to mention them. They all are completely white now so i don't worry about them anymore
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 20:15

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

I must concur with the others here -- unfortunately stretch marks are a fact of life. As for cocoa butter, I'm afraid that's a myth. But it smells good! However, all is not lost. Your stretch marks will indeed fade over time. Don't tan them. If you want to try a product that helps and has a terminus (so you don't have to use it forever for the desired results), try Mederma. I think www.mederma.com is the site for it, but you can get it at just about any pharmacy, if I'm not mistaken.

I wish you luck and positive energy. 15 is a hard age to be battling this, but I know how it works, from very much personal experience. I lost 70 pounds when I was 15... and gained a lifetime of bitterness. Self esteem is hard to keep, like a handful of sand, but I hope your journey is an entirely positive one! You're going to look fabulous, I promise!
d.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 22:45

Stats: 158/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have heard that a product called StriVectin SD is really supposed to work.
I dont know this personaly but have heard from a few people that is did.You can look it up on a search engine to get the info
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 10:34

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I've heard this too, if you're really concerned look into Mederma or Strivectin now. The stuff is expensive and supposedly works best when the marks are new - like yours are. I have some marks too but they've been there so long I'm afraid I'd be throwing my money away on these products.