Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/165.4/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default A pathetic realization

I am on Day 5 of induction and I realized today that I have never gone this long without having a goodie. What am I, 5 years old? Every day during my whole adult life and even growing up (my mom baked every day), I have consumed sugar in some shape or form. How pathetic.

The real kicker is I wasn't even fat growing up! I was a normal-sized person. I didn't get fat until I turned 30, 12 years ago.

That being said, induction has been extremely difficult. I am experiencing severe detox symptoms, probably along the lines of what a junkie goes through when he is trying to stop taking drugs. In fact, I felt so bad on Saturday night, I cried. Who cries over food? Man, I have issues. I called my mom to cry to her, and she said, God bless her, 'Have a cookie.'

I didn't have a cookie. I bought some L-Glutamine, have been faithfully taking all my vitamins, have been keeping my fat intake high (70%), my lettuce compartment full, and my eyes on the prize. I would just like to get on the other side of it and see what it is like not being a crazy carboholic.

So, thank you for allowing me to share my hysteria with all of you and I will keep you all posted on my progress. I am not weighing myself until after induction on March 24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 19:35

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 71%

Hi Winstonian.

You're definitely not alone having sugar detox reactions! But it will get better! You really did the right thing getting glutamine. Much better than the cookie!

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you and we have roughly the same goals. Hang in there and keep reading the forum - you'll find all kinds of info and help. Pop into my journal if you ever want to talk!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 20:49
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Anyone care to share what l glutamine for cravings?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/165.4/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Ftball Mom! Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely visit your journal. We do have similar stats. I am 5'5" and carry all of my weight at my waist, at the top of my hips, and on my inner thighs. I was thinking about starting a journal and calling it, "Ode to a Spare Tire."

Hi NixCarbos
L-Glutamine is recommended in the DANDR book to combat sugar cravings. He also recommends Chromium. I was looking at my vitamins and I have a supplement called "Sugar Control" by Nature's Plus that contains chromium, LGlutamine, L-Alanine, and Rehmannia Glutinosa root. There is no expiration date on it, so I am going to start taking it. I bought my single bottle of L-Glutamine at the Vitamin Shoppe before I realized I had this other bottle.