Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/163/120 Female 63
BF:34%/29.4%/19%
Progress: 40%
Default A Slip & Sick

I've been doing very well at staying on cue with my eatting habits... I slipped the other night and had a twix bar and 1/2 a soda.. I caved. =0( It actually made me really sick - I had a horriable stomach ache and actually felt like I was going to throw up. In a matter I'm thankful for that reaction b/c I wont eat that again - but is that normal for my body to react to stuff like that? I've been on Atkins for a month.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 12:30

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Back in July my dil fixed some eggs with sausage and cheese in the oven. I knew I could eat this so I ate my share then I asked her how she fixed it, it was so good! She told me she layers several slices of bread and pours the eggs on top of that.... I said "bread"? I had no idea I was eating bread, no wonder it was so good, lol. I felt so sick ALL day. So, if you're not used to eating sweets and bread, and the like... I would say it's very normal to feel sick afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZ
I've been doing very well at staying on cue with my eatting habits... I slipped the other night and had a twix bar and 1/2 a soda.. I caved. =0( It actually made me really sick - I had a horriable stomach ache and actually felt like I was going to throw up. In a matter I'm thankful for that reaction b/c I wont eat that again - but is that normal for my body to react to stuff like that? I've been on Atkins for a month.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 12:57

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

It's very normal to feel this way. It's a good thing! It's the reverse of induction flu. You no longer produce the right enzymes for digesting sugar and starch, so it upsets your tummy. A hard lesson is easily remembered. I'd say you learned the hard way.

Sunny!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 13:07

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Very interesting article about low-carbers splurging on high carbs occasionally, and why it is harmful to us. Here's an excerpt from the article:

Quote:
Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients--glucose, fat and protein--are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately. If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn't been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued--they've got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don't have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued.

Once people become low-carb adapted--as I hope we all are--then the same thing happens if they go face down in the donuts. They don't have the enzymes on board to deal with the sudden influx of glucose, and, as a consequence, their blood sugar spikes higher than it would on a person eating the same amount of carbohydrate who is already carb adapted.
This paper shows that these carb spikes are not benign. As the paper points out

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...arb_caveat.html
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 13:47

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Thanks Sunny! That was VERY interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCarol
Very interesting article about low-carbers splurging on high carbs occasionally, and why it is harmful to us. Here's an excerpt from the article:

Here's a link to the full article: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...arb_caveat.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 196/131/133 Female 63.5"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Yeah, I get pretty sick with even a BIT of processed sugars. It's been 6 months hard core Atkins (not induction though). And now that I never have sugar esp, or corn syrup, when I do I get really sick and bad headaches. You would think I'd learn...but the truth is, the sweet stuff still appeals to me But at least I eat a miniature portion and not half a cake!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 13:24

Stats: 192/163/120 Female 63
BF:34%/29.4%/19%
Progress: 40%

THanks for the article link. I have been purposely avoiding sugars, such as twix (ha!) now. Lesson learned lets say. =0)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 15:17

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i felt the same way after our labor day cookout... i had fiance's mashed potatoes (and those are soooooooooo good), a bratwurst in a bun, and chips. the next day i felt like an absolute blob.

there is one advantage to the carb intolerance... if i ever felt the need to play sick and go home early from work, i'd pop a chocolate chip cookie and then tell my boss that my stomach was bothering me, i needed to go home.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 05:16

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oddly enough, it's a very normal reaction to "detoxing" our bodies, which Lowcarbing seems to do a lot of.
Me, if I eat sugar, I feel ill now because I fully fill the effects the sugar has on my bloodsugars. Personally, if I eat bread or any sweeterner that's not allowed, my heart races for hours until it leaves my system. It's annoying.