Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 10:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'm hesitant to read an abcnews link. Is there a link to the actual study?

My Google Fu produces this was done in 2015.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...article/2087877
It says nothing about immunity in the study. It speaks, as far as I can tell, mostly about CVD and T2D. Cause-specific mortality.

EDIT:
Try Google Scholar for human studies on oats and human immunity.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 13:28

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I used to eat oatmeal for my health before I discovered low carb eating. It never set well though and made me feel bad when I ate it. Now that I’m eating low carb I won’t touch the stuff. I don’t have any data, just my experience. I don’t serve it to my grandkids anymore either.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 11:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My big question here is what was the beta-glucan compared to? Is it protective, or is the thing it's replacing harmful? I've seen several studies where mouse chow made with cellulose as the fiber source shortened the lives of mice. When the "control" shortens lives, sometimes the protective effect of an intervention turns out to just be a reversion to the norm.

Not harmful or less harmful is still preferable to the alternative.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 12:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
My big question here is what was the beta-glucan compared to? Is it protective, or is the thing it's replacing harmful? I've seen several studies where mouse chow made with cellulose as the fiber source shortened the lives of mice. When the "control" shortens lives, sometimes the protective effect of an intervention turns out to just be a reversion to the norm.

Not harmful or less harmful is still preferable to the alternative.

Thanks teaser. This is an important point.

This is when further studies are necessary to repeat the results.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 03:08

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

There is nothing scientific here, so apologies in advance for that, but I find oatmeal a) addictive and b) indigestible. Oatcakes in particular look so nice and healthy but if I eat one I can eat the packet. This is usually a sign (for me at least) that there's something not so good going on. Porridge without sugar is pretty palatable to me but my gut doesn't like it. Maybe it's because the oatmeal I ate had gluten traces in it. I am most resistant to infection when I stick to low carb and that means no oatmeal.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 05:34

BF:

Looking at the benefits of fermenting ,,,,,,,seems raw grains are not the best option.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 08:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I was hoping for responses with substancial information. Not speculation. Hoping....

Maybe you should really be hoping that the report you're using to justify eating oats is substantial. The usual cycle of these things is someone pays for some research (probably the trade group for oats). Research is done and finds something tiny, perhaps coincidental, ill-trained journalists see it published somewhere and make it sound awesome.

Anyone remember the chocolate study? It was totally fake, yet everyone jumped on that bandwagon and it turns out the researchers were actually studying how quick and completely a study can be blown out of proportion and how widely reported. There are probably still people eating chocolate based on that fake study.

Now, it may well be that the people eating oatmeal that didn't get sick were eating Captain Crunch before. An improvement on the SAD doesn't necessarily mean it is an improvement on your diet which is probably pretty good anyway.

So, IMHO, do what you want because you chose too, don't base it off a study of questionable reliability. Also, any food you can think of has a study casting it into a glowing light.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 09:34

BF:

which is why I am looking for any other study on oatmeal.