Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 08:12

Plan: Atkins/own
Stats: 352/330/250 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins in the news

Hi

You have probably all heard of the news coming out in the papers that the Atkins centre is now telling people to go easy on the red meat, cream, cheese and other saturated fat.

It sounds like the folks at Atkins central are starting to put across a slightly different message to what the Doc did all these years, or are they?

Also - how are we to maintain a high-fat diet cutting down on cream, cheese, butter, eggs (?) and red meat. Gulping olive oil???

What I am wondering is - what is the big problem with saturated fat - I always thought it was the link to cholesterol (blood fats) that made sat fats a no-no - but considering the fact that your average healthy LCer has an equal if not better cholesterol reading than a non-LCer - where does that leave us?

I apologize if this is talk of the day in one of the the other discussion areas - if it is could someone please kindly point me in the right direction with a link because I am concerned and quite interested in what others have to say.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 16:15
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

There's a huge thread about this here http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Make sure you read page 8.......it seems the NY Times got the story wrong.....thank god!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 06:58

Plan: Atkins/own
Stats: 352/330/250 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

Thank you SO much for that - it takes a load off my mind. I must admit I felt very betrayed when I first read the story in The Age (pretty much word for word on the NY Times - good to see local journos doing research) and didn't know where to turn. The thought of returning to low-fat actually crossed my mind, perish the thought.

I did the big family shop tonight and I honestly didn't know what to do - what things to put in my trolley. In the end I cam home with a bit more fish, chicken and turkey than normal - I suppose that's not such a bad thing.

Anyway, I feel better now. I can go back to my bacon double cheeseburger deluxe (no bun) for lunch again....
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:02

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

read this link and you'll get the truth!!

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/1/20-407355.html
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:22

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

That is a VERY interesting article - thanks for the link sambalam!