Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 125/122/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I made my first batch of coconut bark last night. Put half tsp of coconut in mini muffin cups before adding the "chocolate". They are delish - I'm going to start with 2tbs a day and build up to the 3.5. I ate two this morning and no wierd side effects yet, I was feeling a little more tired than I usually do (hopefully that is due to my late night last night). I'll follow up and let you know know how things go!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Well I've been taking one T of coconut oil a day for two days. It's making me tired, giving me a headache, and making my stomach gurgle and stuff. In fact, I've taken it a couple times at night to help me get to sleep. So, I'm thinking/hoping it's die-off.
  #213   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 15:53

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Jessica -
It is die off. Just hang in there (it took me about 2 months) but may not take that long for you. The pay off is a ton of energy!!
  #214   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 22:20

BF:

It is normal for you to stall or gain during die-off? I've been taking probitics, too, and I know they make me bloaty...I've just been feeling overall crappy! I really don't have anything going on right now, so I'll do anything to speed this process up.
  #215   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 09:22

BF:

Hey Jessica -
I dont know about normal but for me I lost weight and it seemed to me to even help my weightloss. However, I dont have anything to compare it to because when I started Atkins in '06 I also started the coconut oil at the same time.

I felt very tired and I was like you and could take it at night and it would help me sleep because of the die off. But at some point and I could not even begin to guess at this point I had to stop taking it in the evening because it started keeping me awake.

I remember I slowly started feeling better and less tired and then I started getting energy from it. But it was very subtle. I remember one day I spontaniously started cleaning the house and after an hour or two it dawned on me, wow, this must be the energy from the coconut oil!!

You might could even do without the probiotics right now and see if thats what is causing you to bloat??

Good luck with it. Like I said earlier its worth it at the end of it and you start feeling better.
  #216   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 00:28

BF:

So, now I'm not experiencing so much of the fatigue or headaches, but every day that I eat cco I have the runs, and tonight I ate some raw garlic (to see if it will help my acne, this UTI that doesn't seem to go away, and the candida) and now I'm super gassy...I guess I'm not sure I actually had a candida issue to begin with. I'll just stick with the cco and garlic and see what happens. The coconut bark I make is good enough to keep around for candy cravings, and if the garlic helps my acne that's enough of a reason to keep taking that...
  #217   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 16:15

BF:

Glad to hear your not as tired.
  #218   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 11:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think that I discovered something more powerful than coconut oil. It is MCT oil ( medium chain triglycerides ), it is derived from coconut oil but it is more concentrated. I have quite a surge of energy. I have been using it for quite some time, but this brand that I have seems to be the best stuff.It is made by NOW ( sport ). I don't measure it, I just put a big glurb in a glass of tonic water. It doesn't taste greasy and it didn't nauseate me...this could be of course that I have adapted to injesting grease. I will be reporting on this for the next few days.
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 22:42

BF:

Well, I've been eating 2T a day still...I don't really notice anything at all to be quite honest. I did go camping, and while I was gone I didn't eat it and I was bouncing off the wall with energy. So, I'm not sure what that means. I have, however, been eating about four cloves of raw garlic a day so that would take care of any candida issues I would have....right?
  #220   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 09:52

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJessica
So, now I'm not experiencing so much of the fatigue or headaches, but every day that I eat cco I have the runs, and tonight I ate some raw garlic (to see if it will help my acne, this UTI that doesn't seem to go away, and the candida) and now I'm super gassy...I guess I'm not sure I actually had a candida issue to begin with. I'll just stick with the cco and garlic and see what happens. The coconut bark I make is good enough to keep around for candy cravings, and if the garlic helps my acne that's enough of a reason to keep taking that...
Garlic will make you gassy. Cut back on the CO if you still have the runs. CO needs to be taken slowly at first, then slowly each week add alittle more.
  #221   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 10:14

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
Well, I've typed out this recipe and lost it twice somehow. Anyhow, here it (hopefully) is:
Coconut pudding:
1 can of coconut milk, room temp. (not lite)
1 cup of coconut oil barely melted
1/2 cup coconut, shredded
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. stevia
1/8 cup sf caramel syrup
Stir together well, and refrigerate overnight (to soften the coconut). Actually, I like this better not too cold. At room temp. it's creamier. It only takes about 3 Tbs. for a dose of the coconut oil, but it's very rich and filling.
I also like the coconut milk by itself. It has a natural sweetness.

I am going to give this a try. Has anyone ese tried in lately?
  #222   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 17:15

Plan: Dr. Schwarzbein
Stats: 206/173/140 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress:

Hi,
It is good to see that you can find the organic coconut oil less expensive than I found it. I ordered it through Dr. Mercola's site and paid through the nose for it. I have never tried to "take" it, I have always just used it for cooking since Dr. Mercola says that it does not damage when heated as most all other oils do. I like it.
  #223   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 03:00

Plan: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Stats: 284/171/115 Female 5feet, 1+3/4inches
BF:Everywhere!
Progress: 67%

I'm eating two to three tablespoonsful daily as between-meal snacks and I am finding it dampens my hunger.
  #224   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 14:45

Plan: Atkins- modified
Stats: 186/172/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

ALWAYS use virgin or extra virgin nothing else. The plain stuff is bad for you. I use it every day.
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 12:43

Stats: 165/137/110 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I think that I discovered something more powerful than coconut oil. It is MCT oil ( medium chain triglycerides ), it is derived from coconut oil but it is more concentrated. I have quite a surge of energy. I have been using it for quite some time, but this brand that I have seems to be the best stuff.It is made by NOW ( sport ). I don't measure it, I just put a big glurb in a glass of tonic water. It doesn't taste greasy and it didn't nauseate me...this could be of course that I have adapted to injesting grease. I will be reporting on this for the next few days.

Are you still taking the coconut oil?
If so did you nail fungus ever clear up?
I've had nail fungus for a while and can't stand it