Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default information

I am going to seek out more information on low carb/ketosis and exercise. I want to learn how others do it.

I totally can't give up my gym, but I want to stay low carb.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 13:31

Plan: Atkins Indunction (DANDR)
Stats: 205/202/130 Female 5'2 or 62''
BF:42%/???/28%
Progress: 28%

Hi Peacelove-
I've been eating under 20 grams carbs going on 3 months now and work out 5 days a week going on 12 weeks. Im averaging a loss of 10+ lbs but I do weigh considerably more than you.

My workout:
-cardio (30-40 mins) 5 days a week
-strength training 5 days a week. rotating muscle groups everyother day
-stretches everyday

every 5-6 weeks I have switched up my routine to shock my body into giving me results. Not sure this is helpful but I thought i would share.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 23:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi very helpful and thank you! I definitely need to get more info because I am sure it is totally doable and I have been low carb for ten years. But I would get really tired sometimes if I went really low. Great work for you!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 23:29
Registered Member

Plan: Just Low Carb ~20
Stats: 120/102/100 Female 5 ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Well I aim to be in ketosis and eventually be ketoadapted. I find it works well for me. I don't lift weights often maybe every other weekend. But I do run a lot, especially being part of our school's cross country's team. After the keto "flu" I feel like I could run for hours. I can't sprint as fast as I used to but I can run for a long duration so it pretty much makes up for it. Because you have to keep carbs low, make sure you get enough protein for your muscles and fat for energy. I really recommend reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek which goes over what ketosis is for athletes and help you make the best of it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-13, 21:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFour
Well I aim to be in ketosis and eventually be ketoadapted. I find it works well for me. I don't lift weights often maybe every other weekend. But I do run a lot, especially being part of our school's cross country's team. After the keto "flu" I feel like I could run for hours. I can't sprint as fast as I used to but I can run for a long duration so it pretty much makes up for it. Because you have to keep carbs low, make sure you get enough protein for your muscles and fat for energy. I really recommend reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek which goes over what ketosis is for athletes and help you make the best of it.

Thanks for the tip. I do lift weights but starting more running and aerobic activity. Do you typically eat throughout the day or just wait until you are hungry? I seem to go long periods without being hungry.

I am working on the protein and fat. I will order the book. Looks good

#6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-13, 21:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove
Thanks for the tip. I do lift weights but starting more running and aerobic activity. Do you typically eat throughout the day or just wait until you are hungry? I seem to go long periods without being hungry.

I am working on the protein and fat. I will order the book. Looks good

sorry one more questions.. do you think about calories at all because you workout so much? I seem to be low on calories but it is NOT intentional, I just don't get that hungry.Working out makes me more hungry though.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-13, 21:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I get what you mean about the calories. When I first went low carb I had a very low appetite that I had trouble keeping my calories up compared to before LC where I always felt like snacking. At first I only ate to hunger but I noticed that I was dropping too much weight so I just ate more often. I have noticed that I am hungrier when I exercise too and my weight has gone up but it's stable now. I think it's more muscle though

I don't think that you should force yourself to eat if you're not hungry but don't go for longer than a day forgetting to eat. Make sure you take up enough calories for all that exercise you do. If you want to get your calories up try eating more often, or eating more per meal, or just eating more calorie dense foods. I suggest eating more fat to increase your calories and for more energy. I happen to like coconut oil especially for fat bombs. Try to set a minimum or a calorie goal for the day that you should eat at least that amount of calories to make sure you're getting enough food. Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you still trying to lose weight or are you just asking for your physical fitness? This is just a suggestion though, I think you should just do what you think is right for you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-13, 23:48
Registered Member

BF:

Hi well I think I would like to lose my tummy. But not going to stress about it. It is more about fitness and health. But I did feel much better when I was about 5 lb less... However I think
Muscle is what I have gained pretty much. I think age had some to with it as well... I am sure 38 is much different than 24. Wait , is they your age? I assumed with your name! And being in school.

I still can't do dairy but I am trying to eat more meAt/fat. Are you small framed? I think this matters as well. I am smaller boned do 115 is kind of high for me, make sense? Height? So many factors to consider.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-13, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFour
Because you have to keep carbs low, make sure you get enough protein for your muscles and fat for energy. I really recommend reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek which goes over what ketosis is for athletes and help you make the best of it.

I've just started reading The Art of Science of Low Carb Performance and is helping me understand what I need to sustain my workouts as well. Very informational. Definitely a must read if you are aiming for physical fitness verses weight!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-13, 21:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs1775
I've just started reading The Art of Science of Low Carb Performance and is helping me understand what I need to sustain my workouts as well. Very informational. Definitely a must read if you are aiming for physical fitness verses weight!

Hi

Thanks so much. I hope to get it from amazon tomorrow.

I feel like I overeat sometimes on protein, but trying to find my balance.

how are you doing/
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-13, 02:38
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Nope, I'm younger than 24 The number 24 is actually part of some joke in a cartoon.. And yes, I think frame matters too because the same weight on two people that is the same height can have a big difference depending on their frame. However, I still haven't gotten to checking. I think I'm small to medium build and last time I checked (more than 1.5 years ago) I was 5'2 but I think I'd grown taller a bit since then.

Do you measure your inches? Maybe once every week or two would be good. Since you're also building muscle and losing fat I think you should check, so that while you might not be losing pounds you can still check your progress.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-13, 10:52

Quote:
Hi

Thanks so much. I hope to get it from amazon tomorrow.

I feel like I overeat sometimes on protein, but trying to find my balance.

how are you doing/

I feel like I'm doing pretty well with this workout thing and eating LC. I felt a little weak at a step class this week 3/4 way through it so I definitely need to see what I can do to help that.
I thought I was over eating on protein as well because I've been reading so much on here where people are saying to count this and that. So I started actaully using my FitnessPal app to see where I stood and found I was eating far less protein than I thought.

I also started eating the majority of my carbs after my workouts and I notice my recovery is quicker. My muscle soreness is lasting a day verses 2-3.

It's all trial and error.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-13, 23:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs1775
I feel like I'm doing pretty well with this workout thing and eating LC. I felt a little weak at a step class this week 3/4 way through it so I definitely need to see what I can do to help that.
I thought I was over eating on protein as well because I've been reading so much on here where people are saying to count this and that. So I started actaully using my FitnessPal app to see where I stood and found I was eating far less protein than I thought.

I also started eating the majority of my carbs after my workouts and I notice my recovery is quicker. My muscle soreness is lasting a day verses 2-3.

It's all trial and error.

Thanks. I am struggling with trying to figure out how much carbs I canhsvecwithout gaining. Do you eat 3 meals a day? I can't do that. But I hate eating late at night soi need to figure something out. Today I had a high fat meal at 2 and did not eat the rest of the day. And I feel like eating late makes me gain.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-13, 05:57

Quote:
Thanks. I am struggling with trying to figure out how much carbs I canhsvecwithout gaining. Do you eat 3 meals a day? I can't do that. But I hate eating late at night soi need to figure something out. Today I had a high fat meal at 2 and did not eat the rest of the day. And I feel like eating late makes me gain.

I follow the Atkins plan and he has a carbohydrate ladder of foods to try when trying to finding your critical carbohydrate level for losing once your ready to maintain. I'm not maintaining yet but the idea is to add in certain veggies first, then cheese, nuts, berries and so on at 5 gram increments a week until you stop losing. I'm "hoping" it's as easy as it sounds....
I do eat three meals a day and usually one snack. I ALWAYS keep my dinner small IF I eat dinner because I too feel like eating at night makes me gain. Yet my #'s have never show a gain in the 3 months I've been doing this so it's more of just a feeling I have.... At your weight you require less food for sure but you definitely need more than 1 meal. I'd suggest ( like everyone else on this forum) to eat when Hungry. And remember fat is your FRIEND when eating LC!! You don't want to throw your body into starvation mode. And with working out you need your fat for fuel and recovery.

#15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-13, 23:01
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much. I think you are doing great, btw! I did Atkins years ago before I found out I am have celiac.. Then no dairy either for me. So it can be a challenge to get foods that work for me but I know I need the fat... Sometimes, I just don't get hungry though. Today I worked out two hours and did not until 3... That was 24 hours since I last ate! I had to remind myself time to eat....
I might try adding some berries or more veggies to help my appetite moving. Also, I finally bought a good probiotic. And this helps with digestive issues which can make me not hungry if I don't use the restroom.
What is your favourite workout?