Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Ways to squeeze in exercise with kids...

Occasionally on weekends, we throw the little one in the jogging stroller and go for a run, into the baby bjorn and go for a hike, or take him along on a bike ride. However, it's getting cold in Ohio, and the outside options are becoming less.

I do a stroller fitness program a few times a week and am looking into joining a gym with a daycare.

Are there any other parents out there with other ideas for how to squeeze in exercise with a wee one?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 11:43

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
Occasionally on weekends, we throw the little one in the jogging stroller and go for a run, into the baby bjorn and go for a hike, or take him along on a bike ride. However, it's getting cold in Ohio, and the outside options are becoming less.

I do a stroller fitness program a few times a week and am looking into joining a gym with a daycare.

Are there any other parents out there with other ideas for how to squeeze in exercise with a wee one?

Once upon a time, I used my wee ones as exercise equipment...
Babies are great for lifting, though you have to be careful, as they wiggle.

Toddlers can be placed on your shins and lifted up and down, "carefully" stretched out on the shins and then brought back to center (while holding their hands, of course) while lying on one's back, etc.

Just be sure there is no table or anything close to your mat/blanket, nothing lying on the floor, and no distractions. This is quality, FUN parent/child time.

And all kids seem to like to sit on your feet and be "ankle weights" while you walk with them... :P
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 13:54

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

1. Join a gym with childcare
2. Get a treadmill/bike/elliptical for your home - use it during naptime or after bedtime
3. Get up early and go out on your own in the morning for a run/walk/ride
4. Put a baby gate up where you can watch little one play but they can't get to your equipment & do it while they watch Barney.

I have 4 kids at home ranging in age from 3-12, so I maintain that I never actually have time to work out, I make the time. I NEED the time
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 14:55

Plan: whole food
Stats: 210/230/185 Male 5'7
BF:20
Progress: -80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
Once upon a time, I used my wee ones as exercise equipment...
Babies are great for lifting, though you have to be careful, as they wiggle.

Toddlers can be placed on your shins and lifted up and down, "carefully" stretched out on the shins and then brought back to center (while holding their hands, of course) while lying on one's back, etc.

Just be sure there is no table or anything close to your mat/blanket, nothing lying on the floor, and no distractions. This is quality, FUN parent/child time.

And all kids seem to like to sit on your feet and be "ankle weights" while you walk with them... :P

Toddlers as weights, hmm, sounds difficult.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 05:01

Plan: Atkins Induction... AGAIN
Stats: 160/160/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:41
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceGirl28
1. Join a gym with childcare
2. Get a treadmill/bike/elliptical for your home - use it during naptime or after bedtime
3. Get up early and go out on your own in the morning for a run/walk/ride
4. Put a baby gate up where you can watch little one play but they can't get to your equipment & do it while they watch Barney.

I have 4 kids at home ranging in age from 3-12, so I maintain that I never actually have time to work out, I make the time. I NEED the time

1 - no gyms like that in my area
2 - no space at home for that
3 - single mum no childcare

However - While my baby is napping I throw Zumba on and my toddler loves it - shes better at it than me Both of them are in bed asleep by 7:30pm so I usually workout, shower, eat and clean up by 9pm, then its my lounge time.

Takes an amazing out of discipline with the housework tho cos I find if I have too much to do during the evening I wont exercise.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-11, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlface
1 - no gyms like that in my area
2 - no space at home for that
3 - single mum no childcare

However - While my baby is napping I throw Zumba on and my toddler loves it - shes better at it than me Both of them are in bed asleep by 7:30pm so I usually workout, shower, eat and clean up by 9pm, then its my lounge time.

Takes an amazing out of discipline with the housework tho cos I find if I have too much to do during the evening I wont exercise.

I should try zumba. My baby is 15 months and distracted by everything though.... it's worth a shot!!!

Have you tried throwing the baby in the stroller and grabbing a few weights or bands (or whatever equipment you use to strength train) and briskly walking around the mall and stopping off in the corridors by the department stores to lift weights? It seems silly-- but there's a whole franchise of mom & baby fitness classes based on it!