Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/132.7/115 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Protein Supplement For Old Fart on Atkins

I need advice. The last time I was into studying exercise, Reagan was beginning his first term.

1) I'm 56 (male), and a little guy, just 5'2". I'm starting on my 3rd week of induction. (Doing an extra week because I haven't really read/studied about OWL yet, and I figured what the heck.)

2) I started at 141, and I'm at about 132 now.

3) My goal weight is 115, which I know might not be possible because of age, and because of my muscle situation. (Upper body is good, not bad.) However, I was 115 well into my 40s.

4) In my late teens and into my 40s, I had a real V-figure, using the Bullworker for isometric training. While this isn't real "exercise," for my diminutive stature, it works fantastic for me in toning and shaping.

5) I was never a big eater; I just ate crap. So now that I'm strictly following Atkins Induction and will be going into OWL soon, I find it really hard to get 12-15 nc of foundational vegs into my body in addition to all of the protein, minimum 75 grams a day. (I'm just not hungry enough.)

I give priority to the vegs, so my protein numbers are always under.

6) So far, all I've done is take some walks, and I don't plan on doing anything more strenuous than that, except for the Bullworker.

7) What kind of protein supplement can I take with Atkins that's "legal" according to the Atkins Police? I don't want to start my Bullworker training until I'm sure I'm getting enough protein.

8) Any other suggestions for this direction I want to take? I've always been genetically thin (if there is such a thing), and was even a thoroughbred exercise jockey in my youth.

Thanks for your insights!

--Ira
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-14, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/mod
Stats: 248.8/232/160 Female 68inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I too have been searching for an Atkins friendly protein shake. I didn't get any responses on my post either. so I decided to just try my luck at coming up with something and see how it goes. I bought Whey Isolate Vanilla Creme flavored. 1 scoop is 130 calories, .05 fat, 1 G carb & 30 g protein. I mix with 1 cup unsweetened Silk Almond Milk vanilla flavor which is 30 calories, 2.5 g fat, 1 g carb and 1 g protein. added 1oz cream cheese for 70 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g carbs and 2 g protein. mix in blender with 4-6 ice cubes.
Totals
230 calories
Fat 10 g
Carb 4 g
Protein 33 g

I don't know much about protein shakes. I just know that my mid week workout suffers as I struggle to finish the same amount of reps I did on Monday so just started this last night as POW. Protein shake. I am hoping the isolate doesn't bump me out of ketosis. I plan to give it a week and if I seem stable on my weight loss I will bump up to 2 scoops. If I stall I will be looking again for a different option.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-14, 10:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can buy all kinds of protein powders: Egg, whey, casein, etc. Just make sure they don't have added sugar. If it were me, I'd just use raw eggs in a smoothie of some sort. Cheap!

One can always buy sugar-free syrups, unsweetened cocoa powders, a few berries, and make your own low carb flavors.

Very cool you were an exercise jockey! Sounds like an exciting thing.