Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 16:42

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Starting Exercise -Anything I Re: Keto to know?

Hi - Tonight is my first meeting with my personal trainer. I have 30 visits planned out between now and the end of the year. 2 x a week for 9 weeks, then it starts spreading out from there.

Anyways - I've read on lots of sites that you need to bulk up on carbohydrates before exercising. From what I've been able to understand, they do this to induce an insulin response which pretty much forces an anabolic (tissue formation) response .. ie. feeding the metabolized sugars to the muscles. A side effect of this is of course fat storage. From what I understand, you do your resistance training in order to encourage muscle growth, and then you do cardio in an attempt to burn off any excess blood sugar, and help the body switch over to a fat burning state.

I also remember reading that you need carbs in order to promote muscle growth .. actually come to think of it I read a few conflicting things on this point - I remember reading keto was good for muscle growth since you can burn fat and build muscle simultaneously whereas with a carb diet its a two step process: build muscles, burn fat .. etc. I also remember reading some tidbits about protiens being used for energy .. Atkins good .. carbs bad.

Anyways - that's a lot of rambling and I'm really not sure how I should ask .. I guess I'm just wondering what I need to be aware of when I start resistance training while on a ketogenic diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 16:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Your best bet would be to talk to AJ_Cohn about the science part of it

But I will tell you.... when I started exercising (about 20 pounds ago)
my weight loss on the scale slowed down quite a bit
I was however losing in inches.... so I would really recommend you measure yourself
I didn't and I regret that.
I know I lost inches because of the way my clothes fit
So don't just use the scale as your guide.... it might just drive you crazy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

There is no reason to carbo load for exercising. Ever.

First, you really cannot carbo load. (Where exactly is this going to go -- extra carbs go to fat, not glycogen )

Second, you have plenty of energy reserves to perform almost any exercise.

To promote muscle buildup you need protein -- more specifically various amino acids.

Exercise and muscle repair does take energy -- hence the idea that you will be needing more energy to do it. However, I doubt that a trainer will have you lift huge amounts of weights or running marathons any time in the near future.

Resistence/weight training is designed to strengthen, tone and possibly build muscles. If you have not exercised in a while, you will take a while before you start building up muscle. This is considered anaerobic exercise -- very short bursts of activity. Consider each lift as an exercise, so a second or less.

Cardio work out are just that, designed to strengthen and improve your cardiovascular system ie heart, lungs and circulation. Cardio exercise is considered aerobic as you need lots of oxygen to generate the energy needed and the duration is longer eg 10 minutes to several hours. Since you cannot just work on your heart, most cardio uses the major muscle groups to work the heart and lungs. To a large extent, you are doing strengthening of those muscles also. As to burning off sugar, not a specific goal or outcome. Your body will burn glycogen reserves when doing any aerobic exercise as glycogen is your first line glucose reserves. But that will be replenished.

A couple words of advice.

One is learn what you are doing. Ask the trainer lots of questions as to what and why you are doing a particular exercise. Log what you did so you can repeat it later. Just blindly following the trainer may leave you without information on what to do in between sessions or when you stop using the trainer.

Two is that trainers have different styles. You may find that you do not like what you are getting in the way of instructions from a particular trainer. Remember they are working for you. If you do not like your current trainer. look for the option of working with another.

Three, figure out when is best for you to work out. Make sure you can get there regularly. Often the hardest part of going to the gym is getting there. Some people like different times of the day. You might find slightly different times are better for you -- when the gym is less (more) busy, before dinner, after the kids go to school, etc. Most gyms have ebbs and flows.

Good luck.