Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-05, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida Stories

I vote we start a post listing our life stories... what we've gone through w/ cnadida, our symotoms, meidicines and herbs we have tried that have worked and havent, things we have found help us cope... I will start out first.. my name is Erica I ahve had candida since i was 15... prob or earlier.. i have been on antibioitcs since iw as a child and on birth control since i was 15 and diagnosed w/ endometreosis. this is also the same time i was diagnosed with IBS> it started out diaria predominant and now is constipation and bloating predominant... i would get beter and then worse again.. i just recently started on the candida diet when my sysmtoms excualted to the point i was in the hospital out to mayo clinic...seeing docs for what i thoguth were many unrealted probs.. when iread they candida books i had all the symptoma, painful sex, loss of sex drive, yeast infections i am unable to get rid of, spaced out oall the time, ina bility to conentrate (always coming off as a blonde), horribke memory, moody, weight gain that comes and goes and comes on quick (even w/ working out on an elliptical everyday and doing pilates), headaches, EXTREME bloating, constopation, intestional gas, nial infections in my toes, water reteniton.. puffieness all over, sensitivity to tabacoo smoke or to humid weather, ect ect the list goes on forever... no im on nystatin and antifungal and on aug 8th gettng in w/ an enviromental medical doc.. (FINALLY) right now im doing the candida diet..no dairy, no friuts, no sugar, no carbs, no yeast, just some vegies like brocillia, and lots of meat, also taking flaxsed oil, digestive enzymes, vitamins, and probiotics every ngiht
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 01:16

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Sounds like you're on the right path. I'm on three lac for yeast problems. I came down with yeast after I was on antibiotics for teenage acne. I also have interstitial cystitis (a painful bladder disease). I have had recurrent bacterial vaginitis and yeast infections. My medical problems include: chronic fatigue syndrome, meniere's disease, hypothyroidism, reactive hypoglycemia, and a few other problems. I am feeling much better these past few years. I have had these problems off and on for 15 years. I feel like I'm finally getting to the bottom of these problems and I can say that I see a light at the end of the tunnel. The main thing that bugs me is that I have to go to the bathroom a lot, which is not very convenient when you're trying to hold down a job. This is my story. Susan
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 19:29

Plan: raw vegan diet
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 72%

I am presently in probably my 25th year of candidiasis. About 20 years ago I treated it with nystatin for 2 years and a candida/rotation diet. I thought I was cured or "it was all in my head." For about 6 years I had no symptoms and gave birth to a beautiful girl. However, I did still have it and it developed into an "auto immune" response where my body "in an attempt to kill the candida" turned on every other pregnancy I had after this. I've tried various diets and found that I can "live the rest of my life on Unitcity's Paraway Pack (the only antifungal I don't develop a resistance to) and eat meat, veggies (mostly raw), raw goats milk, and limited fruit and very little breads but can have an occasional "cheat" on a dessert etc. (But never know when I "pay" for that cheat with a yeast infection, worse than the last one and harder to respond to my treatment).

Otherwise, a safer way for me to treat it (and more affordable), is a raw vegan diet (but I do occasional raw goat yogurt, cream cheese) I do lots of carrot juice (raw, freshly juiced daily), sprouting, but I can have all the fruit I want (as long as I"m not recuperating from a surgery where I had massive antibiotics, like I am now). I can also have maple syrup and honey and vinegar and do not need any antifungals for the first time in many years. However, if I do cheat once (like a rich desert) I will return to a horribly painful yeast infection.
I have found that I can eat occasionally cooked food, though it can make me "sick" if I eat too much. (Headaches, nausea but at least no candida). I did a little cooked fish and find I handle this better than other "meats."
I have spent most of my "dieting" longing for the day I can return to my SAD (Standard American Diet). I have no "expectations" anymore.
I live in a moldy house that adds to my problems (though we have gotten rid of most, our long cold winters do make my allergies worse).
Oh, the other advantage to my raw vegan diet is that candida has diminished my production of hormones in my adrenal glands, sex hormones and thyroid productions. On this diet my adrenal glands returned to normal function and I have hope others will eventually improve as well. Also most of my allergies disappeared and all the rest became much more mild.
I make my own "probiotic" very easily by making something called rejuvelac. If I have a yeast infection, I can really see the improvement every time I drink some, within 20 minutes, most times.
I recently had to go on antibiotics after a wound infection from surgery. I returned to probiotics, antifungals + my diet (minus fruit) and I am in day 5 after antibiotic, and only had "minor" symptoms of yeast which has subsided in the last 24 hours. I am SO thankful. Without my "Energy soup" , Carrot Juice and Rejuvelac, I know this would not be possible.
What an opportunity Candida has had to teach me, self discipline, persistence and it is developing my character. It hasn't been all bad!
Also I've been diagnosed as a "pre-diabetic" but becaue of these years of "healthy eating" by no choice of my own, I may never get diabetes. This is still one more "plus" from my "battle" against candida.