Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 10:15
Going down....

Plan: LC
Stats: 213/192/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Anyone else pregnant and want to lc?

I saw a thread started a while ago, but hasn't been much action on it. I was just wondering if there was anyone else around who would like to keep in contact and share ideas while waiting for baby.

I sucessfully lc-ed for yrs and was at a weight I was quite happy with. Then we had to undergo fertility treatments (the meds cause weight gain) and the dr recommended I follow a more "balanced" diet (HA!). To top that off, exercise was limited because of swollen, stimulated ovaries (TMI!!!). Now here I am, pg and a blimp and in worse shape than I have been in in years!!!

Just wondering if anyone else is out there wanting to get healthy while pregnant!

Hope
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 15:31

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

You can come over to my journal, or just try to keep posting on the one below, I try to check it out but because it has been slow, I haven't done much, I have also had bronchitis for a couple of weeks so I was pretty much out of action. I'm due in just a few weeks, but have gestational diabetes, so I would really love to have some support. I firmly believe in low carbing while pregnant, I have been doing TSP for the most part, I have added in a bit of bread here and there, and adjusted to my appetite, but I try to do about 100-130 or so grams of carb in a day. Come visit.
Tanya
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/128/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Hope, I am 8 weeks pregnant and want to keep low carbing througout. I've been to the pregnant atkids site but I don't find it nearly as helpful as this one. I would certainly like to share ideas and support with you :-)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 04:13

Plan: Atkins now PP/LifeWOBread
Stats: 268/268/150 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there from Australia
I have been LCing since the beginning of the year and now I have found that I am pregnant. I am about 5-6 weeks along now. I am going to the doc next week to get the confirmation etc. I don't know what she will say about the LC eating - hopefully she will be positive.
I really want to stick to LC eating as too many of the wrong carbs just make me feel bloated and sick.

Rosemary
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:07
Registered Member

Stats: 142/128/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

When I went to my ob/gyn last week I told him I ate low carb. He seemed completely unfazed and said low carb is fine as long you eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, and be sure you get enough calcium. Hooray! I was prepared to get yelled at but there was no lecture or anything. I doubt I'm the first patient of his to ask about low carb.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 17:03
Going down....

BF:

I am soooooo glad to have some responses!! I signed up on the Atkids site too but do not like the format nearly as well.

I plan to do a combo of Sommersize/Atkins. Mainly follow the pro/fat/veggies meals (since they are so similar to Atkins) and then a few times a week have a bowl of Grape Nuts, etc and some fruit.

I hope everyone is still around. I posted this a few days ago not thinking that I would be in workshops for 3 days straight with not much time to check in.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!! I am in desparate need of lc support!
Hope
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 11:37
Going down....

BF:

It looks like this thread might be really quite. I would just like to invite anyone who is interested to stop by my journal. I guess that is the first step (for me) in rejoining this wol.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 22:55

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Hiya there. I am pregnant and staying on atkins through the pregnancy too. I am currently almost 13 weeks along. If any of you would like to chat feel free to stop by my journal (Since I will probably forget where this post was by tomorrow.) Goodluck to all of you!

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:38

I don't check here much only about 1 or 2x a week. My last appointment was good, my Dr. is pleased with my progress even my weight loss at this point is not bothering him. My blood sugars are stabalizing even more, My BP is finally at prepregnancy levels. I'm enjoying eating this way through the pregnancy, I feel really good. I'm not bloating up like I did with the others, friends are even noticing the difference.
I found a low carb dairy product in my area, by hood with 3 grams of carb per cup, 350 mg of calcium, and 12 grams of protien. It really doesn't taste too bad.
I also eat lots of almonds, they seem to help my BS stay stable, and have lots of calcium and magnesium.
Tanya
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 236/184/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm not pregnant, but I want to wish all of you luck!! Being diabetic, I was semi lc during my pregnancies. It worked wonders, and the only problem I encountered was the nutritionist. She also suggested a more "balanced" diet, which in my case meant more fruits and veggies. Just be sure to get all your vitamins in!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/193/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

Hello,
I am new to this LCing and in ketosis (yippie) and I have lost 7 pounds in my 1st week. I have been ttc #3 for 5 long years, have had 3 m/c's along the way and just finishing up my last month of fertility drugs. The fertility drugs ahve made me gain like 15 pounds and I was already 30 pounds overweight so I am thrilled to see this LCing might really work for me. I am also hoping it might even help w/ my ttc journey because I am about to give up on that, 5 yrs is a long time to ttc. It is draing and the fertility drugs are awful! Glad to have found this sight!
Lori
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 02:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/218/145 Female 157.48
BF:
Progress: 1%
Question Just discovered I am pegnant too

HI all, glad to see this thread, i've just started my 5th week yesterday that makes me very close to msfifi!! I was LCing last year and lost about 18 lbs then after my hol i came back in Jan and was TTC my ating went out of the window and consequently i have probably put on about 20lbs but dare not get on the scale. i have got so so confused about eating now that I don't know what to do! I would love or someoe to give me an idea of what a maintemnance menu looks like as I'm getting all the carbs mixed up! and as it's my first pregnancy I'm pretty overwelmed as t is with info overload, although we really want this and have been TTC!
Can you help or give some sample menus of wat peope eat and how that may change over the three trimesters?
Many thanks

PO (perhaps my screen name needs to change more like Poundson!!!!)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 04:48

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

I thought i could do it--lowcarb during pregnancy. I did so well for the seven months preceding the pregnancy (50 lb loss). Almost as soon as the test came back possitive, I had a strong aversion to meat and even stronger cravings for cereal and milk. Then the donuts called my name in the middle of the night one too many times. I can however, say that i try to not overdo it so that I will only gain the recommended amount of weight. I'm 6 and a half months along and I've gained about 15 lbs. Good luck pregos.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:39

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I am 20 weeks along and have gained 8 lbs. I am having the worst time trying to gain weight when I eat the right foods. I typically will go eat a bad meal the day before the appt to make my weight go up. I can eat 24/7 and not gain if I am eating the right foods. It's really starting to get discouraging. Only 3 lbs were gained while eating good foods. The other five I gained when I first found out I was pregnant. I went off and ate non-atkins food for a couple weeks in a panic because I didn't think I could do atkins while pregnant. Of course that is NOT the case... After doing research and stuff I went back to the plan. I can't seem to find anyone that has actually STUCK completely to a low carb diet the whole time to ask if they had the same problem. Anyways, goodluck to the rest of you guys that try LC while pregnant.

Jenn
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 14:03

Just to let you know, I had my baby, May 5. Her name is Kendra MeLisa. I didn't gain any weight, she was good size at 7lbs, smaller than my other two, and no complications. Low carb is the way to go during pregancy, I'm convinced of that.
Tanya