Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:58

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 230/219/155
BF:
Progress:
Question Diet Confusion!!!!

I have been on the Atkins Diet for approx. 4 weeks and have been exhausted...I decided to check out a few of the other low carb. diets out there. I purchased a book called "The Diet Advisor". It really does not speak to highly of the low carb. diets. A few things the book does question is the fact that if we are eating alot of cheese, red meat, pork rinds, eggs, butter ect., this will cause our bodies to be fatigued and tired. This is exactly what I am feeling.

The book states that Ketones, the acidic chemicals formed during ketosis, can upset the acid-alkaline balance in the body, raising the risk of coma and death and, for pregnant women, endangering the brain of an unborn child. Eliminating or drastically reducing whole grains, fruits, and many dairy products can cause nutritional deficiecies that might not be corrected by the supplements. Possible complications include osteoporosis, constipation, dehydration, hypotension, overtaxed liver and kidneys.

Now I am questioning if I should continue...Help!!!

Texas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 16:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Are you taking supplements?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 19:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The book states that Ketones, the acidic chemicals formed during ketosis, can upset the acid-alkaline balance in the body, raising the risk of coma and death and, for pregnant women, endangering the brain of an unborn child

What you are referring to is not Ketosis, it is ketoacidosis, and it is quite different from what happens when a healthy person engages in a LC WOE. Doreen says it so much better, this is direct quote from one of her posts :

Quote:
Indeed there's plenty of sound scientific evidence that lowcarbohydrate-induced ketosis is not harmful in any way, and is a perfectly efficient source of fuel and energy in the body. In fact, ketogenic diets have been used since the 1920s to treat epilepsy in small children, infants even .. that can't be controlled with drugs. Wa'il has plenty of research in his Studies pages, (on the red menu bar above).

...the tiny amount of glucose required by the body (red blood cells, and few certain nerve cells) can be provided by the vegetables and other trace carbs consumed OR the liver can make glucose from PROTEIN (which is why it's important to consume adequate protein every day, bare minimum 60 gms)

Are you eating your veggies? Are you drinking your water? Do you take your vitamins and supplements? If you are feeling tired and sluggish any one or all of these factors may be a cause. It is important when following a LC WOL that you follow a plan. Dr. Atkin's LC plan takes all the things your body needs into account.

Personally, I feel great. I have energy to spare, I can workout at the same intensity as when I was eating carbs all day long, I sleep better and I dont get headaches or backaches any longer. I am also drinking water, taking supplements and eating 20 - 30 g of carbs a day.

Whether or not you choose to continue is something you must decide. LCing is not for everyone. And it is definitely not to be done w/o proper guidance or information.

Nat