Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/320/280
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Getting Inventive to Weigh Myself...

Let me tell you a story, about how I reached my first short-term goal.

When I made the decision to start LCing, I was 364 pounds, although I didn't know it at the time. You see, I didn't own a scale; I guess I preffered ignorance when it came to my weight. All I knew was that it was getting a little harder to get up off the floor and it took a little more time to buckle my seatbelt when I got into a car. I think the deciding moment came on an airplane when I couldn't buckle my seatbelt for the first time because, even when it was fully extended, it wasn't long enough.

After I decided to lose weight, I bought a digital scale, and when I took it for a test drive, I was slightly horrified to see the letter E instead of a number. The scale had a limit of 330 pounds, so all I knew was that I weighed more than 330 pounds. They only thing I could think of to weigh myself more accuratly than "more than 330" (other than to buy a doctors scale that went up to 350) was to buy a cheap scale, step on them both, and add the two numbers. I did it and it worked. 364 pounds.

Last saturday was my weekly weigh in. I stepped on both scales, added up the numbers, and came to 330. I was pretty excited since I had been waiting for this moment for two and a half months, when I would reach my first goal: being able to weigh myself on one scale. I took a deep breath and stepped on one scale, and it registered 330 pounds. I was all smiles the whole day.

I don't know what I will do with the second scale that I bought. I have no use for it anymore. I haven't decided if I want to hold onto it for sentimental value, or toss it for ritualistic value. Either way, I feel like I have made a small victory, so of course, I thought I would tell you all about it. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:38

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Very inventive indeed, and congratulations on the weightlose, keep up the good work.

Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:12

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Good for you!

Someone as inventive and as determined as you will surely make it to your goals.

Maybe you could set the second scales next to the first and as you lose weight, add stuff to the second scale to total the weight loss. Could be bricks, stones, bags of bird seed etc. It might be fun to see those lost pounds add up!

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 18:59

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Just a thought. Maybe you can find someone out there that needs a scale and not able to buy one themselves. I know I've seen posts here of people that were finding it hard to afford one. I plan to hand my "nice" fat clothes to charity. I know it's hard to find fat clothes in thrift stores. I have several outfits I've outgrown, and am looking forward to getting rid of them. No looking back!

Good job on your loss! I know it's hard to continue on when you don't know how much you've lost. I used to have to visit my doctor's office to weigh when I was over 300. But I finally moved down below that. And now I can use my scale. Keep it up!!! Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:04

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

Way to go, odinisgod. . .

Your determination will hold you in good stead.

Keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 10:28

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking Congratulations!

From one Chicagoan to another...

How wonderful that there's less "of us" in our fair city!

Continued good luck and success to you!

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 11:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Odinisgod,
Congratulations! way to go!
I once read that if u use your bathroom scale on a daily basis, after a while the springs inside the scale would lose it's "strength" & the scale would become inaccurate. That's what happened to my old scale (I think I owned it for about a year, which I confess, I do use it on a daily basis.) Just a suggestion, maybe u'd like to put it aside for now & keep it for a later use.
On the other hand, tossing it out as a ritualistic value seems fun! Have a great day!
Bebe