Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 01:29

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestrange
I have been wondering about the glucose test thing, how does that work on a low carb diet? will it spike up because you haven't been used to having that much carbs? i would hate to have been really good at keeping my insulin and what not inline, and then blow it by the actual test itself! last time, i remember it was like a sickly sweet orange fanta... that just sounds disgusting to me now!

Eating low carb makes no difference to the glucose test. I too worried about this as they made me do the big glucose test as I was at high risk (other family members have had gestational diabetes). The doctor told me that it doesn't make any difference at all. It is testing the way your body responds to sugar and not having sugar (or having lots of sugar) for x amount of time before the test does not alter the result... I still don't know/understand how it works, but that's what my doctor said. (although I had been eating low carb for over 7 months with my 1st pregnancy and 2 years with my second pregnancy and throughout the pregnancy and both times I didn't get GD but got told my results were exceptionally good).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 02:58

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

as far as sleeping through the night, my daughter did, but she was cosleeping with me and nursing while she and I both slept!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
Eating low carb makes no difference to the glucose test. I too worried about this as they made me do the big glucose test as I was at high risk (other family members have had gestational diabetes). The doctor told me that it doesn't make any difference at all. It is testing the way your body responds to sugar and not having sugar (or having lots of sugar) for x amount of time before the test does not alter the result... I still don't know/understand how it works, but that's what my doctor said. (although I had been eating low carb for over 7 months with my 1st pregnancy and 2 years with my second pregnancy and throughout the pregnancy and both times I didn't get GD but got told my results were exceptionally good).

thanks for this! as terrible as my diet was last time, I still passed the test, so hopefully I will be even better next time around..
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 04:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestrange
as far as sleeping through the night, my daughter did, but she was cosleeping with me and nursing while she and I both slept!

Yeah, I didn't think about co-sleeping. I tried it for a couple of nights and couldn't sleep (even though my bub was) so had to change over to the cot. I love the idea of co-sleeping and could see how that would assist with sleeping through the night.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 09:54

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
Eating low carb makes no difference to the glucose test.

I'm glad your results were good, but I've seen lots of medical sites claiming that there is an effect, as well as the very concrete results in that paper I posted. Maybe it depends on how long you have been low carbing.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 12:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesse
I think they advise to eat at least 150 carbs a day for three days prior to the test to get accurate results.
Yes this is true, at least according to Dr. Eades.
Quote:
Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients–glucose, fat and protein–are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately. If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn’t been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued–they’ve got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don’t have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...ow-carb-caveat/
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 02:44

hmm, so maybe that could be my excuse to carb-up for a few days and indulge in some delicious honey and things. but doesn't dr eades also reccommend avoiding ketosis while pregnant? I'm not sure I'm on board with that entirely.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 08:12

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Not being pregnant, nor having ever been pregnant, how is it that the results of the glucose test are supposed to be skewed by low-carbing and not carbing up for a few days before the test? For example, is it more likely to show the patient as being intolerant/diabetic/etc.?
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 10:05

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I had been a really low-carber in the week before my first glucose test and I ended up failing it. Only by like 5 points, but enough that they made me do the 3 hour test (and that really sucks, but at least I passed it with flying colors). I'd had my blood sugar checked several times through my pregnancy and it was always low/normal, so my doctor was completely baffled as to how I failed it at all! I wouldn't be surprised if my low-carbing had at least a little something to do with it since my body was probably like "WTF!?" when I drank that syrup drink!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maint/nursing mom
Stats: 188/161/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hello everyone,

I am a breastfeeding mom, hope you don't mind me joining in, it is hard to find info on LC and pregnancy/breastfeeding. I am currently eating 60-80 carbs/day since I don't want to lose the weight too fast, but I did terrible while I was pregnant. I think that GTT threw me off. I was eating fairly LC and then I took the test, flunked it by only a few points, took the 3 hour and like LC-laur, I passed it with no problem. It seems like after that I just couldn't get back to LC. Once I taste the sugar, I am hooked and it is so hard to get off of it. I hope to lose this baby weight and stick to LC for life, I just can't handle sugar and a lot of people do not understand.

Best of luck to all you pregnant ladies!
Meg
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

^I totally know what you mean about sugar. I wish I could be "normal," but I am really sensitive to it! I can't even have tic tacs or breathmints! I'll eat them all!

So I'm freaking starving! Gosh! SO hungry! ALL the time! I'm even dreaming about food, which is frightening. This morning I woke up horrified thinking I had eaten an entire Ritter Sport marzipan candy bar! Of all things!

My first pregnancy I started out at an unhealthy 110ish (vegan nutrition *shivers*). This pregnancy I started out at 130 - holy cow! I look like I did at 6 months pregnant the first time!

My abdominal seperation has come completely apart already. After 3 years of training I was finally able to do leg lifts & full sit ups etc. Oh well I guess I know what it takes to repair!

Anyway! Totally starving!!!

What were your favourite snacks and meals while you were pregnant ladies? Again - no judgement zone!

For a while I was on a chicken tenders sauteed with mushrooms in a lettuce wrap kick - but the last couple of days I've just been wanting scrambled eggs again (and toast, but you know how that goes ) I've almost eaten a dozen eggs since yesterday!!!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 14:14

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
What were your favourite snacks and meals while you were pregnant ladies? Again - no judgement zone!

For a while I was on a chicken tenders sauteed with mushrooms in a lettuce wrap kick - but the last couple of days I've just been wanting scrambled eggs again (and toast, but you know how that goes ) I've almost eaten a dozen eggs since yesterday!!!

Right now my favorite snack/meal is greek salad and I also like to snack on blueberries.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 14:42

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I keep wanting PB&J (on low-carb bread at least - that 45 Calories and Delightful stuff). Still, I could eat a PB&J every day! Only with strawberry preserves, though.

I totally agree about that stupid glucose test throwing me off! I was a good low-carber before then. I may have had an off bite of this or that, but never much... After that test is when I fell HARD and haven't been able to get all the way back. Stupid sugar.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 22:25

BF:

I couldn't get enough bacon and eggs... I don't know what it is about that greasy bacon! I also had to make a ton of chocolate cakes and prune balls.
I did have some unusual cravings too... like bacon fat with chocolate... And I wanted a ton of chocolate in general (I was eating 86% cocoa chocolate at the time, to keep the sugar down) and almonds.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesse
Right now my favorite snack/meal is greek salad and I also like to snack on blueberries.

Oh man! You sound so well balanced! The idea of a salad (or any raw vegetable) has put me off since pregnancy. The same thing happened last time! I don't know what it is. VERY strange!

At least this time I've been able to find a few heads of lettuce / bunches of chard that don't send my pregnant senses into a flight & have used them as wraps, but it's so touch & go. I can't go into the store guaranteeing I'll come back with lettuce. I can also eat scrubbed celery, for whatever reason (perhaps because it's a vehicle for peanutbutter? Hmmm... ) but ALL of the outer stalks must come off. Only the seriously blanched interior is "Safe"

Oh lord - PB&J!!! YUM! A few weeks ago I was so desperate for a PB sandwich I sandwiched it between lettuce leaves. No kidding! I have a zillion raspberries outside right now - maybe I'll add some! Mmmm!

That reminds me... when I was a kid one of my favourite special breakfasts was a "jelly omlette" with my Meemaw's preserves Sure it sounds disgusting, but man! I'm telling you! That was delicious! Maybe I'll try it with raspberries instead. OMG - or peanut butter and raspberry omlette!!!!!!!!!!! GENIUS! (/you know you're pregnant when...)

Senta I KNOW! I used to even like my bacon crispy - now I want it like 1/2 done just so I can chew the fat! Dripping in grease

I would LOVE any recipes you have - ESPECIALLY prune balls. I am in serious need of prunes! The psyllium just isn't cutting it. I'd been afraid to touch them since they're so sugary, but I think the benefits outweigh the cost at this point. I'll just be careful with my blood sugar accordingly. I haven't had dried fruit in so long, it will be an interesting experiment with the blood glucose meter. I'll call it preparation for the ominous glucose test

For that matter, any sample daily menu (if you can remember) would be so helpful! I feel like I'm in a rut already - I want to try to mix it up before I throw everything to the wind & get some french fries. Ohhhh how I want some french fries! Right out of the grease! Alongside my scrambled eggs & bacon!

Allright - last anecdote: Can I also say that I'm pretty sure bacon and chocolate are one of God's most perfect creations? It's become a really popular combination around here. You can find chocolate bars with bacon bits & chocolate (and maple) glazed doughnuts with bacon sprinkles! The chocolate bars are easy enough to recreate – but OH how I’ve wanted one of those doughnuts! It’s a cruel world. Any ideas on how to make a low carb doughnut?

Love to my ladies!