Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/130/120
BF:20
Progress: 60%
Unhappy What is the truth about Low Carb Bars?

I have been doing the Atkins diet (on and off) since '99. Since then the carb content in most low carb bars (not just Advantage) has gone from 2g to 22g. I feel very ripped off since none of these bars are cheap (especially in Canada where they are usually about $4) and I have spent hundreds of dollars thinking I was doing well and keeping in my allowed carb count and then discovering it was all an illusion. I realize common sense dictates that I should stick to true natural forms of food (meat, fish, eggs) and not rely on labels of processed food but... My question to those of you who also consume these bars is - Am I fooling myself into believing that these bars are effective in this plan? Should I treat them as an indulgence to replace a craving for a chocolate bar or can I actually make them part of my diet - i.e. meal replacement for breakfast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:52

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Wow... what a loaded question! The truth, huh? Well, the truth is that there is no telling how YOUR body deals with the bars.

To be fair, I don't think the carb content has gone from 2g to 22g but they are now correctly LABELED. They used to not claim the carbs that "don't effect blood sugar" while now they do. At least there's some honesty regarding the fact that these bars may slow loss, effect people, etc.

Now in regards to you: It's up to you to figure out whether or not they work in YOUR plan. If you have yo-yoed with LC in the past, maybe they don't. Do they cause cravings? Stall weight loss? Prevent a focus on whole foods, as you mentioned?

Your mileage may vary. It's really up to you to decide. Personally, I can eat them, but only occasionally. When someone is in a stall and eating the bars regularly, it's probably the first thing they should give up, in my opinion.

But... it's up to you. Many people are very successful while utilizing the bars.