Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/119/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Adding weight training to running routine

Ok. My head is about ready to explode from reading the sticky threads at the top. I'd like to start adding weight training to my exercise routine in about 1 month, but I'm not quite sure how to fit it in. Here's my situation:

I have a long term goal of running a 5k in 20 mins. I'm currently following a program that is building up to running 3 miles (I have about 4 weeks to go). I run 3 times per week-Tue, Thurs, Sat. Once I'm able to run 3 miles, I'll be working up to running 5x a week with a total mileage of 14 MPW. Right now, I run first thing in the morning (takes around a half hour with warmup and such), then I do about 25 mins of yoga, and then I have breakfast. This is working really well for me, except I'm starting to get absolutely ravenous about 15 mins into the yoga routine.

My questions are: On days that I would be running and doing weights, is it best to do weights as my 'first thing in the morning' activity or could I run in the morning and do weights in the afternoon/evening? I'm not really trying to lose weight atm but I do have some fat that I'd like to burn off if that influences the answer.

--I was going to start arm exercises 3x per week now and do some leg stuff on Sundays (that leaves me Monday for my legs to recover a bit). I know that while I'm still building up to my 3 mile distance, I'll slack off if I've got soreness in my legs. Would that type of routine be OK or totally worthless? I've done weights before and I know how much squats hurt the day after lol

--As I mentioned, I'm going around 70-80 mins from the time I wake up to the time I eat and I'm starting to get extremely hungry before finishing my workout routine. Should I have maybe a protein shake right after running? It's tough to concentrate on my yoga while my stomach is rumbling, and I get headaches if I don't eat often enough-though I haven't had any headaches triggered by this routine yet, I'm concerned that as I run for longer, I will trigger a headache.

FWIW, I was going to follow Built's beginner program as long as I can figure out how to do all the exercises with the equipment here.

Hope my questions were semi-coheren, I've got a migraine right now and trying to keep my mind off of it. And a huge thank you for all the info there is on this board, I just wish I could assimilate it all ... faster!

Sina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 10:55

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Weight and cardio should be on alternating days. (best)
Weights before cardio same day (ok)
Jag
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 16:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Sina,

One point at a time.

1) Running a 5K in 20 minutes is fast! Half my running friends don't run 5K's in 20 minutes, me included.

2) Becoming "absolutely ravenous" during or shortly after your workout could be a sign of excess stress, or that you aren't feeding the muscles enough. Make sure that you feel good after your workout -not excessively fatigued. Make sure you are getting the right multi-vitamins and you may want to supplement with some creatine/glutamine, if you are training that much.

3) Regarding doing running and weights on the same day. The biggest factor in exercise failure is excess stress. So you want to minimize excess stress as much as possible. Why not spread out your workouts as much as possible, to make sure you are adequately recovered. Alternating between running days and strength training days is better than loading certain days more than others. It gives the body more time to recover.

4) "arm exercises 3x per week now and do some leg stuff on Sundays"? What about the other muscle groups? What about Abdominals (important for runners!), Back, Shoulders, Chest? What good are strong arms with a weak back? You could also break the arms workouts into biceps/triceps. Also, depending on how hard you strength train, your arms may need 3-5 days to fully recover. Without adequate recover, you may end up making them weaker.

Hope this helps!

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Tue, Oct-26-04 at 16:14.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 09:35

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

yes, 20 minutes for a 5K is fast. NCAA Womens Cross county top finishers usually average about 18:00 for the first place finisher. The top males ususally finish around 15:00-16:00. I'm a long time runner, ran for college, etc and my fastest was 18:46.
Speed workouts will be essential to obtaining your goal time.
There are some great training programs on Runners World website....you should incorporate, at least once a week, some interval workouts, such as 6X800 meters, or 12X400, or ladder-type intervals on the track, where you are running at your goal race pace or slightly faster. You want to train yourself to run at that pace.
An occasional, longer run is also recommended. You woulnd't need to go more than 5-6 miles.
Since you are only running 3miles, you probalby dont need to eat beforehand if you are trying to lose fat. But you should eat before any weight training.

Last edited by climbergrl : Wed, Oct-27-04 at 11:26. Reason: oops! typo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 09:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the replies!

LowcarbJ I am afraid that I wasn't clear in my first post-migraines do that to me. Essentially, I want to go easy on the stuff that really targets your legs for a short bit while I finish this part of my running program. I know how much squats will hurt the day after, and I am more likely to skip a run if I've got a lot of pain in my legs from weight training. *chuckle* you do make an excellent point about upper body strength-I should have said 'upper body' where I said 'arms'. Sorry for the confusion! I was not in my right mind at the time.

climbergrl thanks for the suggestion to check runner's world. I'll definately look into their training programs as well. I know that getting a 20 minute time may be a bit of a pipe dream, but I think I'll have fun with trying to reach that goal. And I do know it's going to be quite long term.

Sina
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:05

BF:

Good luck and have fun!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:54

Climbergrl,

I want to meet the woman who can run a 10k in 18:00!

I know Nicole Teeter, current US record holder for the 800 meter, even she can't run a 10k in 18:00!

Sinadial,

Here are some good links for running:

http://worldofendurance.com/article.asp?a_id=763099

http://worldofendurance.com/article.asp?a_id=370778

J.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey you runnrs out there - I think I am ready to try it and am intrigued by the couch to 5K plan that has been mentioned on this board a few times. Does anyone know of a CD or file download to iPod that would take you through the time intervals. I can't imagine memorizing or checking a cheat sheet in the middle of a work out to remember 90 seconds this then a minute and a half of that and so on. Plus I think music is a must for a work out. Does this kind of thing exist that takes you through your paces via CD?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:25

BF:

oops, LoCarbJ, that was a typo I'm sure you realize....
I meant 5K
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

nutsnseeds, I don't know of a CD or downloadable that will do that, sorry. I carry a stopwatch and just memorize the routine-some of the more complicated looking works can be reduced to an easily memorized pattern.

I'm on week 5 of the Couch to 5k at coolrunning.com and can't get over the fact I can actually DO the runs at all-when I started I thought 'no way'. And I'm having fun!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 15:04

NutsAndSeeds,

If you are good with a computer (or you know a DJ), you can create your own "mix" of music with various tempo's. You can sample a certain song with a high number of beats per minute for a certain amount of time; and then mix in a different song with different number of beats per minute; and so on.

J.