Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Cyclists - race advice needed

I just joined a bicycle club and would like to try a fun little race:

The Donut Derby
Monday, September 6, 2004 (Labor Day) 10:00am Lehigh Valley Velodrome The DONUT DERBY is a fun race with rest stops every 12 miles where racers can get water, use the bathroom, and get DONUTS. For every donut eaten, five minutes is deducted from your official finish time. There are only 2 rules. All donuts must be eaten in the Donut Zone and if you chum a field, you're DNF. Sag supported, accurate cue sheets, well marked roads, goddie bags, giveaways, trophies, awards, prizes, the coveted SPARE TIRE CHAMPIONSHIP BELTS and a rollicking good time are all hall marks of this excellent Labor Day adventure. A hot lunch is available after the ride.
$15 if postmarked by Aug 16, $20 thereafter.

Now, if I do this, I will have to eat some donuts or my time will STINK!! Plus, it's the spirit of the whole thing. So, can any of you tell me what will happen if I'd eat like 6 donuts or something that day?? I haven't cheated since starting LC diet in March. Can I just get right back on plan?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 08:25
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Go for it! THis is living life, it isn't like you plan to eat donuts every day for the rest of your life. Go have a blast, then get right back on the program the next day!

And take pictures!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 11:37

Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Karenemt,

That is a really strange ride! How long is it?

I would probably do the ride but I sure wouldn't eat any donuts!

A five minute time deduction isn't that significant. If you are riding for the health and pleasure aspect of it, why not just skip the donuts and just enjoy the ride and your improving health!

J.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 12:24
The Spandex Killer

Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Everyone where I work thinks the donut derby idea is hysterical and that eating the donuts is what makes it such a wacky experience (without the donuts its just a regular ole bike race, eh?).

Have fun whatever you choose to do!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

The not chumming part sounds the hardest, especially if you are going to make any real effort on the bike. Bring lots of TUMS! Eating a couple dozen donuts should do nothing more than give you a taste aversion to donuts. Eat alot of em have a great race!

dug
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It's a 35 mile race. I just think the whole concept is hysterical - last year the guy who won the "donut championship" ate 26 donuts I am certainly not fast enough on my bike to get even a good time, but the whole donut eating thing just sounds like it's too much fun to forgo!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 08:02

Plan: somewhat low-carb
Stats: 136/134/130 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm really interested in this race - if you do it, will you come back here and give us the play-by-play? It sounds like a lot of fun!

Marcia

"The miracle isn't that I finished...the miracle is that I had the courage to start" - John "The Penguin" Bingham