Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 12:52

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%
Question Low carb Snacks - Any suggestions?

Hi Uk'ers

I'm on day 7 of my low carbing journey (sticking to 20g's of carbs a day max).

But I am finding it difficult on what to buy/eat for snacks for when I am feeling hungry after breakfast, before dinner etc (in between meals).

I need ideas on what to buy (I though it might be better to ask here, as some of the things available in America aren't available here or are hard to get hold of, which can get frustrating!).

At the moment, I am not doing to well. What I mean is, I am not eating enough!!! I am basically having a small breakfast, either 2 - 3 eggs, or some cucumber and tomatoes. Then dinner, which is meat and veggies. So in between I am not eating, because I don't know what to have that's low carb. All the rest of the food/snacks in the house is high carb, because that's what my mum, dad and brother eat. No good saying get them to eat low carb too, because they don't need to diet/lose weight and they wont do it anyway... so I leave them to it.

I find myself getting hungry in between meals (only natural, because I am only really eating 2 meals a day)... and I end up eating a bit of cheese, because that's all I have around that's "low carb"... so I would like some ideas so I can go out and stock up on snack foods.

I don't really want to be eating lots of cheese (not because I don't like it, I love cheese!). At the moment, when feeling hungry I will go and nick a handful of Asdas medium grated cheese, or a couple of square slices of red leicester cheese. But that doesn't really do anything for my hunger.

Any suggestions anyone?

I mainly shop at either Tescos, Asda or Morrisons. I would also prefer foods that are pretty much ready to eat, don't want to have to start getting the cooker on and using loads of pans just to eat a snack! I live with my parents and my mum gets upset when people start using the cooker and too many pans etc (over house proud), which makes things difficult for me to be honest . I basically use the microwave for eggs for breakfast unless I have veggies. I use the cooker for dinner and that's it... if I started using it during the day it would just be a nightmare, she'd give off that horrid atmosphere lol. Sounds silly I know, but that's my mum for you. And I don't really want to have to upset her, so I just keep the peace.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 12:57

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Nuts?

85% Cocoa chocolate bars?

Cream cheese on celery?

Hard boiled egg?

Quote:
I live with my parents and my mum gets upset when people start using the cooker and too many pans etc
My 20 year-old is living with us while he waits to go in to the army. I get upset when he uses pots and pans BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CLEAN UP AFTER HIMSELF! LOL
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 13:52

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I second the hard boiled eggs - the perfect satisfying snack.
I also keep celery sticks, dill pickles (unsweetened, check labels) and olives around. Nuts are good, but easy to eat too many of, so be careful. A slice of salami wrapped aound a slice of pickle, or a slice of ham in a romaine lettuce leaf, are both very quick and easy too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 21:10

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Hi,

I love eggs, so I suppose I could have some boiled ones as a snack (I do also eat them for breakfast).

Unfortunately, I really cannot stand celery or olives! They make me gag, so I wouldn't even try lol .

I like nuts! So would just have to go careful on them... any kind of nuts in particular that I should/shouldn't eat?

Should I avoid packaged sliced ham/corned beef (say from Tescos)? I've read a few posts that mention to avoid these types of stuff. I have also read somewhere on this forum to watch tinned tuna? That's low carb, so I can't see why it would be a problem?
I buy tuna chunks in sunflower oil, but drain the oil. I love tuna! but will stay away if I shouldn't be eating it when on low carb/atkins.

I suppose I could also eat pork scratchings, as they are low carb and I like them.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 08:10

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I carry small tins of salmon with me, any type as long as it has a ringpull. If I'm starving I can eat it directly from the tin, but I'll most often go to McDonalds, get a side salad and throw the salmon on top.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 08:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Further to Helen H's idea, John West and Prince's both now sell tuna in pouches:

Quote:
From the John West website:

Seared Tuna Fillets
John West’s Premium Seared Tuna Fillets are available in delicious restaurant-quality marinades. All you need to do is heat and serve – it takes just 30 seconds and can be part of a main meal. Alternatively you can enjoy them cold with a shredded Cos lettuce, thinly sliced red onion and red peppers. There’s no need to refrigerate, simply keep them in a cupboard until you need them. All the marinades are free from artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. They come in three varieties, Italian Herb, Sweet Thai Red Chilli and Lime and Cracked Black Pepper.

http://www.john-west.co.uk/our-prod...omething-extra/

I keep a couple of pouches at work, just in case!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 11:37

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Sliced hams and other meats should be ok as long as you check the nutrition labels for added sugar or other fillers.

I buy at Lidl's a pack of roasted 'slightly smoked' ham and a pack of gouda cheese slices which make an easy quick snack - just roll one up inside the other and there you go! Sometimes I cut a stick of cucumber or slice of red pepper and put that on top first and roll it up inside so as to get some veggies in too!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 08:26

Plan: General Low-Carber
Stats: 204/150/145 Male 162cm
BF:
Progress: 92%

Some snacks I have:

-eggs
-tuna (with ringpull)
-salmon (with ringpull)
-cheese (mainly chedder - very low carbs!)
-creamy coleslaw (different coleslaws have different carb levels so 'shop around')
-plain yoghurt
-40g of asda dry roasted nuts (lowest carb nuts ive found)
-atkins low carb bars (choc-chip)
-diet coke
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 06:25

Plan: Idiot-Proof Diet by India
Stats: 169.5/140/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

- M&S crispy bacon strips
- port scratchings
- prawns
- Calypso icicles (carb + calorie free frozen popsicles)
- sugar free jelly
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/140/136 Female 6'.0"
BF:
Progress:

carrot sticks dipped in mayo, salsa etc are a great fsnack or me while I watch Corry
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 16:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/190.5/149 Female 157cm
BF:43%/41%/30%
Progress: 20%

i find having a store of peperamis and cheese strings/mini babybels are always good for snacks
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 02:21
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Those all sound like good suggestions, what sort of cream cheese do you buy in the UK, can you recommend supermarket brands or particular brands that i could buy?

Cheers
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 15:20

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Tesco cream cheese is as good as any. And very cheap.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 16:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/190.5/149 Female 157cm
BF:43%/41%/30%
Progress: 20%

just got back from tescos they have an offer on the reddog hotdogs 10 for a pound. really low in carbs and the chilli ones are really tasty for snacks.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 16:40

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I buy Waitrose own brand 'soft and creamy' fullfat cream cheese which has half the carbs of philadelphia.

Lidl's is cheaper but the last time I looked at a packet there was no nutrition info to compare carbs. However they will send you info if you phone their customer service department - www.lidl.co.uk for contact details.