Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/244/175
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Anyone do a "carb blowout day" occasionally?

Well, today is day #9 on LC eating for me. I went camping Fri-Sat-Sun, which included some incidental hiking, and I've decided to start a 20-30 minute daily regimen of fast walking around my neighborhood. So far, I actually seem to have lost about 6 to 9 pounds (can't quite decided where I was when I started). Some of that is probably water weight, but I'm still pleased enough with my results that I'm going to try to continue this WOE.

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone here do, or has anyone heard of, "shocking your system with carbs" every three weeks or so? Reason I ask is, I have a friend who's a policeman in his mid-50s who's eating LC as suggested by his doctor. He's doing it for health reasons, to get his blood sugar and blood pressure under control. His regimen includes one day every three weeks during which he slams himself with carbs! Biscuits for breakfast, burger and fries for lunch, tortillas with chips and salsa at his fave Mexican place for dinner! He looks forward to these times, obviously, and he's done it twice so far (he says gleefully that next time he's going to the Outback and just ordering three sweet potatoes!). Now, I've never read about this anywhere in regard to the formal "Atkins diet."

But I must say, he has lost 22 pounds in six weeks doing this. He has also eaten green beans throughout his diet, has about three cups of coffee per day with cream and a sugar sub, and still drinks diet sodas with NutraSweet. He will also occasionally eat fried chicken strips from Chick-Fil-A or KFC (he says he will sometimes scrape off some of the breading).

I'm not real sure what the explanation is as to why this makes the diet supposedly more effective ... seems like he said something about resetting the body so that the carb-deprivation process can begin again more effectively. Dunno.

Anyone heard of this? Anyone do something like this? It sounds great, and it gives one something to look forward to. I'd like to try it, but would like to hear some other testimonials first ...

--Aaron
Sponsored Links