Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Just how low can you go?

I started last year at 305 pounds or so. I'm currently 252 pounds and would say I had too many cheat days last year. None so far this year that I remember and don't plan on cheating again. My question is there a certain point where induction stops you from losing weight or as long as you are in induction your body loses weight? Like what would happen if someone who reaches their goal weight then stays in induction forever? Do they keep losing weight to dangerous levels?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 16:08

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I expect the answer varies for different people, though most will tend to level off at some point or another.

For me, I just reached my goal a couple of weeks ago. Yet it only took a slight relaxation of the rules for me to have rebounded a bit again this week. This is just the first part of my maintenance period really, finding my limits and then staying within them, whatever they may be.

Sure I'm a little disappointed to learn that in my case, I really can't change very much at all just to remain where I now am. But at least now I know where I stand, and so I know what I need to do (and what not to do) going forward.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 16:19

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Do they keep losing weight to dangerous levels?
Oh, I'd sure like to test this for myself!

From all the reading I've done, I think that continuing LC at induction carbs would eventually cause the body to level off at a suitable weight. I believe that Just Jo (on this forum) has maintained a substantial weight loss and a steady weight for almost three years keeping her carbs extremely low--apparently a necessary prescription for her particular situation.

If you're happy with your menu and lifestyle, staying at induction level until you reach the weight you feel comfortable is perfectly all right. Then you can experiment, if you want to, with increments of carbohydrate. Dr. Atkins built this process into his original plan--and generally found, with his 10,000 patients, that 40-50 carbs was as high as most could tolerate for maintenance.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

Aren't there some tribes that eat only meat? So they are getting like no carbs yet they aren't dying of malnutrition. So i'm guessing i'll be fine staying in induction for life.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 20:32

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I've recently discovered that even with induction levels carbs, I couldn't lose more than 15 pounds or so, which wasn't the case when I was in my 20's. I'm 37 now and can't eat unlimited amounts of food at induction levels and still lose weight. So that led me on a quest to figure out why I felt great but wasn't losing weight. By studying some doctors like Dr. Westman and Phinney, I discovered that when you keep your carbs at 20 or so and get moderate levels of protein, then you're left with adjusting fat. So, in early weight loss, your body had plenty of body fat for energy. But as your weight decreases, your body will require higher and higher levels of dietary fat for fuel. So in their charts, based on their experience, people tend to naturally need an increase of dietary fat every 20 pounds or so, assuming there's a lack of energy or unexplained hunger. It makes sense to me and has finally gotten things moving again...until about two weeks ago when I got complacent again. Anyway, hope that gives you some perspective.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 22:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
Like what would happen if someone who reaches their goal weight then stays in induction forever? Do they keep losing weight to dangerous levels?

I wish! I don't do Atkins but I eat very low carb - between 10 & 20 grams of carbs per day - for my diabetes. It helps wonderfully with my bg, but my weight is stuck. Wish I understood why. It's possible I may have to be more disciplined & eat even fewer carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 23:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

You'll definitely be fine staying in induction for life, as long as that works for you. I'm in perpetual induction with some exceptions following a ketogenic WOE and it's fine. If you feel vital and have ample energy, you'll know that it's right; otherwise, make a few adjustments, and you'll get to right. This approach should be simple and easy to follow.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 08:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I believe it's Phinney and Volek in the book you've mentioned in your profile (Art and Science...) who discuss the adjustment to fat intake, not carbs, for energy, the closer you get to your natural healthy weight.

In short, carbs stay low, protein stays the same, fat percentage increases. Check it out in your book.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I went from 190 to 170 pounds, just eating low carb to appetite, and can easily maintain that first loss. I found I preferred induction levels of carbs, so that's mostly what I've eaten, if I go past induction level type veggies for carbs, I'm not satisfied with reasonable amounts. Even a very ketogenic diet unrestricted doesn't cause weight loss under 170 most of the time, but I do find that I can comfortably reduce my calorie intake and go lower, as long as I don't increase protein or carbs. For me, keto=self control, out of keto=occasional binges.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I don't need to fuss over carb count as much as I do carb type, it seems. Eating low sugar fruits as part of a meal works; eating them alone as a snack makes me terribly hungry.