Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/159/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default sb vs. atkins carb binges...

I'm deleting b/c so many people read my message and nobody responded. I kind of felt like my message must have been over the top crazy, maybe too revealing psychologically or whatever. Just feel like deleting. Hope that's ok.

Last edited by nycmama : Mon, Feb-28-11 at 22:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 08:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmama
I'm deleting b/c so many people read my message and nobody responded. I kind of felt like my message must have been over the top crazy, maybe too revealing psychologically or whatever. Just feel like deleting. Hope that's ok.

I'm so sorry that I did not even get to see your message! I would've answered you if I had seen it. I'm very busy during the week and don't have a lot of time to answer questions.

Would you consider rewritng it?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 09:55
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Judy. Thanks. I posted about trying to decide between atkins and SB and all of the details that may impact my decision. I've had an eating disorder of one kind or another since I was a kid... so it's really great to finally (in my mid 30's) realize that just cutting out carbs and sugar helps me tremendously!!! The only thing is, I'm also a mom and want to prepare meals for my children that are healthful and I want them to see me making good choices because as anyone with an ED knows, lots of habits are learned. While my mom didn't have an ED her dieting obsession didn't help me. So, I've been doing Atkins for a few weeks and have had a loss of about 9 pounds. I'm fluctuating between 162 and 161 for a week. I want to find out more about SB. I'm afraid of SB though because I'm wondering how it might change the newly found control I've had over binging. Any advice?
Thanks again. I deleted my message because after 4o people read it and nobody responded, I felt sort of embarrassed.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 10:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Hi Judy. Thanks. I posted about trying to decide between atkins and SB and all of the details that may impact my decision. I've had an eating disorder of one kind or another since I was a kid... so it's really great to finally (in my mid 30's) realize that just cutting out carbs and sugar helps me tremendously!!! The only thing is, I'm also a mom and want to prepare meals for my children that are healthful and I want them to see me making good choices because as anyone with an ED knows, lots of habits are learned. While my mom didn't have an ED her dieting obsession didn't help me. So, I've been doing Atkins for a few weeks and have had a loss of about 9 pounds. I'm fluctuating between 162 and 161 for a week. I want to find out more about SB. I'm afraid of SB though because I'm wondering how it might change the newly found control I've had over binging. Any advice?
Thanks again. I deleted my message because after 4o people read it and nobody responded, I felt sort of embarrassed.

I can see why anyone would feel embarrassed with no reply and I'm really sorry.
It'd help you a lot to read the SBD book itself. You can review the meal plan guide and food lists for both phase I and II in our weighin thread. It tells a lot.

As far as how it will impact your ED symptoms, I can't give you guarantees about that....sorry! Its a very individual thing.
Some have thought they they binged on SB due to fat levels but then they also binged in atkins...so to me its also more of how we think and feel about these things.

Have you ever thought about attending OA meetings for support on not binging and purging? I got a lot out of those meetings a few years ago and it did help me to reach my goal and stay there...finally!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 10:42

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:

Hi. I read your post, but I have no experience with SB, so I don't want to give bad advice. I am doing Atkins, and I am happy with that. I eat a lot of vegetables as well as meats, fish and eggs. I think your children could do well with that. As I understand it, SB is lower in fats, so if you do well on low fat....then try it. As Judy said, each person is different, so you must decide which is best for you. I would suggest you give which ever plan you choose a good chance though. You will have stalls on either.
Lots of luck, Ruth.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to both Judy and Ruth for your replies.
Yesterday I did try lower fat meals... egg whites for bk and grilled chicken with salad for lunch... dinner I had a turkey burger with cheese no bread. At night, I was thinking about food. More than had my fat been higher throughout the day.
I think it's true that no matter what I choose, I'm going to experience stalls. I have to decide for sure and keep at one for a while.
As far as OA goes, I don't know Judy. It's kind of strange to me.... not knowing what to expect. I guess I could look into it... it has crossed my mind.
Thanks again to both.