Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 18:22

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Low carb and improved hearing for those over 50?

I found this study report about high glycemic load being an indicator of hearing loss in those over 50:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content...jn.110.128462v1

I have noticed that both my eyesight and my hearing are better since going VLC.

Have you all noticed that you are less sensitive to loud noises, or that your hearing has improved in various ways?

Last edited by SilverEm : Tue, Jan-18-11 at 18:23. Reason: edited title
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 18:50
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I thought I was the only one who noticed this maybe thought I was losing my mind.

I think it has something to do with mucous production when consuming carbs.

Should probably mention too, I'm 31.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 18:53

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

NC, I'm glad LC has helped your hearing, too. My WOE seems to be helping all the nerve cells. Your avatar photo is beautiful.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 18:54
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thank you!

My B Vitamins that are eaten too would probably be working better since I don't have an over abundance of sugar to be eaten up first. Nerves thrive on B12.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: a blend of what works
Stats: 211/198/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 14%

This is good to hear (pun intended).

Maybe I won't have to say everything twice, to my DH (who is LC-ing too).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

My vision has greatly improved in the last 4 years. I haven't had my hearing tested in many years. I do have one ear that has a hearing problem due to a series of infections when I was younger.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 07:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I would lean towards an autoimmune connection; low carb reduces the inflammation load and lets the immune system function properly.

So many other "aging symptoms" turn out to be glycation related; wouldn't surprise if these were involved, too.!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

SIRT3 in Calorie Restriction: Can You Hear Me Now?

Could be the decrease in hunger low carb often creates leads to a lower calorie intake. Intermittent fasting may have a similar effect.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 21:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/175/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Better eyesight

I haven't noticed a difference in my hearing but I did notice a definite improvement in my reading vision. My readers are still the same strength but I don't need them as often. Sometimes I can make things out without them that I couldn't make out before. I never dared volunteer the information before for fear someone would think I was nuts but since you mentioned it. I don't know whether to contribute it to lowered carbs, increased healthy fats, or a combo of the two.

Diane
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 03:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianabell
I haven't noticed a difference in my hearing but I did notice a definite improvement in my reading vision. My readers are still the same strength but I don't need them as often. Sometimes I can make things out without them that I couldn't make out before. I never dared volunteer the information before for fear someone would think I was nuts but since you mentioned it. I don't know whether to contribute it to lowered carbs, increased healthy fats, or a combo of the two.

Diane
What is really sad is the people don't make the connections between hearing loss and deterioration in sight and the onset of dementia.

Hearing loss and incident dementia

Maybe you are eating more eggs now.
Consumption of 4 egg yolks/d, and possibly of 2 egg yolks/d, for 5 wk benefited macular health in older adults with low MPOD. Serum HDL cholesterol increased without an increase in LDL cholesterol

everything you do that raises HDL is likely to reduce the risk of dementia
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-11, 11:45

BF:
Progress:
Default Whole eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

That's a very interesting article/study. I'm sure not many people know about this.

Regarding eating whole eggs, I can't contribute the eyesight improvement to that. As I've increased my fat intake, I've made it a point to note which fats keep me full the longest and egg yolk fat isn't one of them. I even tried the Omega 3 eggs you can get in the grocery stores. Therefore, since I'm trying to lose weight I only eat a couple eggs a week.

My best guess is it started a little after I started eating organic coconut oil. After that I upped other healthy fat intake after reading about increasing healthy fats will help me go low carb. I've been eating plenty of EggBeaters with coconut oil and cream because, like I said, I stay full longer with those fats and I'm trying to lose weight. Once I eat maintenance weight, I'll switch to eggs instead of Eggbeaters. My best guess the improvement was due to the coconut oil. I'd love to buy some eggs right off the farm where I KNOW they're cage free and eating grass because I surmise the yolks would then be the way nature intended and might be just as beneficial as the organic coconut oil.

Best regards,,,,,Diane
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 02:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
That's a very interesting article/study. I'm sure not many people know about this.

Regarding eating whole eggs, I can't contribute the eyesight improvement to that. As I've increased my fat intake, I've made it a point to note which fats keep me full the longest and egg yolk fat isn't one of them. I even tried the Omega 3 eggs you can get in the grocery stores. Therefore, since I'm trying to lose weight I only eat a couple eggs a week.

My best guess is it started a little after I started eating organic coconut oil. After that I upped other healthy fat intake after reading about increasing healthy fats will help me go low carb. I've been eating plenty of EggBeaters with coconut oil and cream because, like I said, I stay full longer with those fats and I'm trying to lose weight. Once I eat maintenance weight, I'll switch to eggs instead of Eggbeaters. My best guess the improvement was due to the coconut oil. I'd love to buy some eggs right off the farm where I KNOW they're cage free and eating grass because I surmise the yolks would then be the way nature intended and might be just as beneficial as the organic coconut oil.

Best regards,,,,,Diane
Floaters are associated with Diabetes as are other eyesight problems and while they in themselves may be as harmless as skin tags it's what is causing them that leads to other troubles.
Diabetes is related to faulty glucose metabolism. Hyperglycemia leads to retinopathy, retina microaneurysms though high glucose-induced injury on human retinal endothelial cells. Lowering your glucose levels with a higher fat lower carbohydrate diet is going to prevent the damage glycation causes, thereby giving your eyes a chance to heal.

Perhaps I should also point out the my latest glasses prescription (I've now got smarter ones than in the photo) showed improvement in my sight over the last 5 yrs. Which approaching 67 is surprising. I'd have been pleased if they were no worse. I have lost all my skin tags as well but they disappeared when I lost weight.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Apr-08-11 at 02:52.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 08:46

BF:
Progress:
Default Diabetes, floaters and vision deteroriation

Quote:
Floaters are associated with Diabetes as are other eyesight problems and while they in themselves may be as harmless as skin tags it's what is causing them that leads to other troubles.
Diabetes is related to faulty glucose metabolism. Hyperglycemia leads to retinopathy, retina microaneurysms though high glucose-induced injury on human retinal endothelial cells. Lowering your glucose levels with a higher fat lower carbohydrate diet is going to prevent the damage glycation causes, thereby giving your eyes a chance to heal.

Perhaps I should also point out the my latest glasses prescription (I've now got smarter ones than in the photo) showed improvement in my sight over the last 5 yrs. Which approaching 67 is surprising. I'd have been pleased if they were no worse. I have lost all my skin tags as well but they disappeared when I lost weight.

Hutcheson,

I truly believe too many carbs can cause deterioration anywhere in the body, and from personal experience and observation I think wheat is the worst and white potatoes a high second.

It very well could have been going low carb that caused my eyesight improvement. Since I didn't keep a journal or notes, I can't say for sure. I read one of the sticky notes for newbies on this site that mentioned it's a good idea to start a journal as you start dietary changes. I really wish I would have but at the time I hadn't found this forum yet. If I had known the changes would be so profound, I'd have forced myself to find the time to do that. I encourage anyone who is going to start increasing fat intake, especially coconut oil, and going low carb to do so. However, how would one know what changes contributed to what unless they only make one change at a time?

Diabetes runs strong in both sides of my family. My father had it. My brother has it. My grandmother and several aunts, uncles, and cousins have had it. I really think I'm sensitive to carbs because of this and would likely end up diabetic if I don't eat VLC. For me, I call VLC about 50 to 60 g carb a day of mostly non-starchy veggies and an occasional grain or fruit serving that is less than a 15 g serving. This is the best I've felt since I was in my 20s -- I'm 52.

I'm glad to hear you're also feeling so much better on low carb.

Diane
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

While I agree with you about the health benefits of a low carbohydrate diet we mustn't kid ourselves that using modern vegetables and meat it is necessarily the case that eating low carb supplies all the required micronutrients in the right amounts.
There have been studies comparing micronutrient deficiencies in common diet plans and there are often things missing.
Example here
I'm always alarmed when I see statements like.
Quote:
Diabetes runs strong in both sides of my family. My father had it. My brother has it. My grandmother and several aunts, uncles, and cousins have had it.
By the time most people are diagnosed with diabetes they are all seriously magnesium deficient. Many people on Atkins don't get sufficient magnesium. Please check your food sources and double check the type of magnesium in your multivitamin/mineral. and ensure you are getting around 500mg absorbed magnesium daily.
Amanda and I have been banging on about the value of magnesium a lot recently but it's FAR MORE important that most people realise.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 17:19

BF:
Progress:
Default Magnesium

Quote:
While I agree with you about the health benefits of a low carbohydrate diet we mustn't kid ourselves that using modern vegetables and meat it is necessarily the case that eating low carb supplies all the required micronutrients in the right amounts.
There have been studies comparing micronutrient deficiencies in common diet plans and there are often things missing.
Example here
I'm always alarmed when I see statements like.
By the time most people are diagnosed with diabetes they are all seriously magnesium deficient. Many people on Atkins don't get sufficient magnesium. Please check your food sources and double check the type of magnesium in your multivitamin/mineral. and ensure you are getting around 500mg absorbed magnesium daily.
Amanda and I have been banging on about the value of magnesium a lot recently but it's FAR MORE important that most people realise.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up regarding magnesium. I Googled and I saw lots of hits explaining the studies and benefits for it to prevent diabetes. Your signature mentionsed "absorbable magnesium." I Googled that and read it's best to use "chelated magnesium." Do you agree?

I wish I'd have known about it before my husband developed it. Do you think it will help him even though he already has it?