Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 18:45

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%
Default Will you be my Low Carb tourist guide?

We've rented a condo in Wales for a week in May. Last year it was Scotland, the year before we enjoyed Cornwall. My Brit-born husband and I love the UK and visit regularly. I enjoy having a kitchen, shopping and cooking while I'm there, so I'm quite at home in Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's etc. But this is the first time I'll be visiting and doing Low Carb. I will carry a few items with me, like my favourite sweeteners.
So can you give me the inside scoop? I'm already drooling at the thought of double cream and European butter! Oh, I shouldn't forget the Rhodda's, LOL!
I've checked out the UK pork rinds threads -- what's going to be the easiest place to find them? Or should I order in advance from http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ ?
What can you recommend as "not to be missed" for a Low Carber?
What would be on your low carb grocery list that I need to buy?
Will you be my guide?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 10:50

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Syrah!

I would not bother to order the pork crackles or pork scratchings specially from lowcarbmegastore as they are not the US versions which have only pork rinds and salt but the UK versions which all include dextrose and rusk (wheat product).

So they are no lower carb or more Atkins friendly than the ones you can buy in most supermarkets and petrol stations, and are more expensive once you add postage.

I buy a bargain pack of 6 x 17gram packets of Green Top Pork Crackles for just under a pound at a budget store locally so they cost me under 17p each as opposed to the 30gram packs on lowcarbmegastore's website which cost 55p each.

They list only 0.1 carb per 100grams and are therefore much less carby-er than the ones sold online too!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 19:51

Hi, Elizellen, thanks for the tip. So you're saying I stand a reasonable chance of finding Green Top Pork Crackles at one of the supermarkets like Tesco?
That's good news! Thanks!
I will be entertaining a houseguest while I'm there so today I made up some dry mix so that I can make my low carb / high protein crostini while I'm there. When I'm there I'll just add olive oil, egg, cream and cheese and bake them. And we'll have them topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon! Or with cheese spread.
I'm looking forward to Welsh lamb, and clotted cream and Caerphilly cheese and buttttterrrrr ... oh my!
What other low-carb treats do I need to be reminded of?
Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 04:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrah
I will be entertaining a houseguest while I'm there so today I made up some dry mix so that I can make my low carb / high protein crostini while I'm there.
Be careful what you bring with you, as you might get stopped when going through UK Customs. Suggest you have a look through the document mentioned here.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to Welsh lamb, and clotted cream and Caerphilly cheese and buttttterrrrr ... oh my!
What other low-carb treats do I need to be reminded of?
Thanks again!
Well you've already named some great low carb choices, but here's a few more ...

Stilton cheese
Aberdeen angus beef
Sausages (though if buying in the supermarket, check they are rusk-free)
Sardines
Belgian Pate
Bacon

Have a great time in Wales!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Be careful what you bring with you, as you might get stopped when going through UK Customs. Suggest you have a look through the document mentioned here.

Have a great time in Wales!

Thanks, Demi! Found that document really interesting. Since we will be arriving from the continent (going to visit my Dutch relatives and look at flowers before we head for the UK ), my small amount of baking mix shouldn't pose an insurmountable problem. And if there are sniffer dogs at HM Customs, I suspect they will be on the sniff for something a lot more interesting than crostini coming from Amsterdam!

Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 07:57

Well, I'm just back from the Tesco superstore, and I scoured the place for pork cracklings or pork crunch. Nothing. The crisp department, the cocktail nut department, the biscuit aisle ... no pork crunch to be found. I found all manner of interesting high carb snacks ... but no pork cracklings or crunch.
Boo hoo.
I did find a few packets in WHSmith's the other day. Unfortunately, they contained msg ... hate the stuff!
Any hints for hunting pork crunch?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 08:11

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Go to the local pub, they have them on a card... may not be the "best", but hell, your on holiday. .. Do try the mature cheddar cheese. its to die for...
p.s. I miss Cardiff!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 05:09

BF:

Did you manage to sneak your baking mix in, Syrah?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 06:08

LOL, Elizellen, no problems with the baking mix! Will whip up a batch of crostini in a day or two, when my supply runs out. I decided to carry two batches of low carb crostini with me. Took a lot of space in my suitcase, but these days weight is more of a problem when checking bags.
Oh boy, was that worth all the baking and wrapping! I made packages of 5 or 6 little crostini that I use instead of bread at breakfast/lunch or for dips and spreads. They even make pretty good cocktail nibbles to keep me out of the cheese straws. Anyway, they have been my saving grace, and I've managed to stay reasonably on plan despite eating out, hanging out in airports, and being a house guest. As you say, failing to plan ...
As for customs, no problems. Besides my baking mix, I am also carrying a small bag of powdered erythritol, which might have made for an interesting discussion had my bags been searched. I'm a bad girl...
Next week is timeshare week, and I will be mistress of my own kitchen, so now it gets easier. And by the way, the jeans I packed are getting looser. Low carb life is good!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 06:11

Question Awww, Teresaw, do I HAVE to???

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaw
Go to the local pub, they have them on a card... may not be the "best", but hell, your on holiday. .. Do try the mature cheddar cheese. its to die for...
p.s. I miss Cardiff!

You mean I should go to a pub? One of those laid-back places with inviting decor and friendly people? Well, if you insist ... and if it's in the interest of my low carb regime, I suppose ...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 11:39

BF:

Quote:
You mean I should go to a pub? One of those laid-back places with inviting decor and friendly people? Well, if you insist ... and if it's in the interest of my low carb regime, I suppose ...

A girls got to do what has to be done to look good....
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 15:27

BF:

You might need to ask for pork scratchings or pork crackles.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-11, 13:22

Back home now, have been for several weeks. And those jeans, the ones that were beginning to get baggy ... they've gone on a permanent holiday. I stayed on plan 90% of the time, drank too much wine, and had a great time. Thanks for the holiday support!

I'm a plan-ahead kinda girl. Next holiday is in Tuscany, in November (not the best time of the year, but it's still better than November at home!). Next thing you know, I'll be asking for advice on what's not to be missed in the way of Tuscan groceries. I'm enjoying Under the Tuscan Sun at the moment, and unfortunately, Mayles' images of white peaches, fresh basil and lettuce out of the garden won't be in season.

But olives ... olive oil ... porchetta ... pecorino. I'll be needing a grocery list of "not to be missed" items.

C
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 09:23

BF:

Quote:
Back home now, have been for several weeks. And those jeans, the ones that were beginning to get baggy ... they've gone on a permanent holiday. I stayed on plan 90% of the time, drank too much wine, and had a great time. Thanks for the holiday support!

I'm a plan-ahead kinda girl. Next holiday is in Tuscany, in November (not the best time of the year, but it's still better than November at home!). Next thing you know, I'll be asking for advice on what's not to be missed in the way of Tuscan groceries. I'm enjoying Under the Tuscan Sun at the moment, and unfortunately, Mayles' images of white peaches, fresh basil and lettuce out of the garden won't be in season.

But olives ... olive oil ... porchetta ... pecorino. I'll be needing a grocery list of "not to be missed" items.

C

Good for you.... November.... mm let me think, maybe wild mushrooms and truffles, mialetti, artichokes, bresaola, grana... lemons
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 02:29

Plan: Units
Stats: 203/200/154 Female 1.72 cms
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am very interested in your crostini references. Could you tell me how you do it?
(sorry if this is elsewhere on the forum)