Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 13:00

Plan: 1972 Atkins
Stats: 234/210/160 Female 5,7"
BF:100 % scary!
Progress: 32%
Default Which is best?

It's an easy question. Which plan is the best? All of them are so similiar to one another in my opinion. I have tried two plans. Atkins and South Beach (South Beach for only 4 days) On Induction, I was full and satisfied from day one. On South Beach, I am constantly hungry. I have this pitted, empty, achy feeling in my stomach that never goes away. It bothers me, it makes me want to eat. I'm sure it's carb withdrawal, but I NEVER had this feeling on Atkins.

So I read all the summaries of the Low Carb/Semi-Low Carb plans and many of them are so much the same, just described differently. It's the same food mostly.

I want to eat the South Beach way, (or GO, SP..) by incorportating fruits (other than berries.) and other dairies (yogurt, mostly.) and nosh on things such as whole grain breads and crackers. I want to enjoy a high bran, whole grain cereal in milk sometimes. I want some wasa with natural strawberry jam on it...However........

On Atkin's inuduction, I felt so much better than I do on SB Phase 1. I don't feel a lack of energy or anything, I am just so..damn..hungry. I'm eating! I ate a big breafast, a big lunch, a good snack! Water! I'm starving! Why?!

I'm frustrated out to no end and ready to give up and try something else. (Meaning: I binge for a week and then move on..feeling worse.)

So I am thinking of modifying to my tastes. I am goinging to add more fats and cut down on the carbs. Maybe more than 20, maybe not.. I don't know. I'm going to have a veggie snack daily. A protein snack. I'm going to have a vegtable at lunch and dinner, and maybe breakfast to. I'm chucking the natural Peanut butter because I crave it, dammit, and have easily consumed a whole jar since I bought it on Saturday. F#~& this fat free stuff. Low fat cheese is gross. LF dairy anything is gross (except skim milk)..fake butter? Nasty. I'm getting rid of the yogurt. It's plain and sugarless (save for it's natural milk sugars.) But I sweeten it to death with Splenda and DaVinci. This may be causing my cravings? Alongside the natural PB?

I'm so frustrated now. I need advice on the plans.

I am..a sugar binger

That is my problem.

What plan has worked best for you?

~Ally
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 15:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Its been a whole week now and I think that you've changed your mind, yes?

I have had success on South Beach and I think that you will now too!!!

Careful on adding whole grain breads aka flour, back in too quickly though...that is a big piece that gets many stuck in their weight loss efforts.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 17:21

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardentluma
It's an easy question. Which plan is the best? All of them are so similiar to one another in my opinion.

It's not a question other people can answer for you, and there are enough differences to make or break your succcess on an LC plan. You sound determined to shoehorn something that will fit your wants, instead of limiting or even sacrificing some things while you're in weight loss mode. SB and Atkins are both fine plans, but fairly different. There's also Sommersizing and Protein Power and SugarBusters and lots of other choices, so you may want to widen your research a bit. In the end you may decide you'd do better on a low fat / higher carb plan; there's more than one way to drop weight, after all.

All the best as you work it out.