Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: modified PP
Stats: 186/150/130
BF:
Progress: 64%
Unhappy woah--what's going on??

This is the end of my first month of this WOL. The first 2 weeks, I lost 12 pounds. Since then I've had 2 mini-periods in 2 weeks and in the last few days am up 3 pounds!!

My diet hasn't changed--I still measure out as being in Ketosis, but my weight seems to be going up and down (no change in measurements in last 2 weeks).

I've had diagnosed PCOS for about 12 years and have been on Metformin for about 2 years (a wonder drug).

What's up?? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm getting worried and frustrated. Today I went for a thyroid test just to cover all of my bases.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 09:06

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I wouldn't get too worried about it just yet. Your hormone levels are a little whacked out right now with adjusting to the weight change. I frequently had unexplained cycles, and then months before the next ones.

As far as a few pounds gain, its too soon to worry. I know that it is extremely frustrating to not see the scale going down, and even going up, I've been there. However, you need to look at this as a long term thing, and a couple of days is the equivalent to a raindrop in a thundershower.

If your weight loss doesn't continue again after a few weeks, then you may need to visit your physician. Who knows, some women are able to conceive after only 15-20 weight loss. I have no clue whether you would welcome that option, but it is an option if you are in a relationship.

My personal experience is that I only got pregnant with both of my kids AFTER taking HRT for two months. We tried everything to get pregnant after the first child was born, for five years, and finally decided to go back on HRT for the PCOS symptoms. I swear on a stack of bibles that the pill was the reason for my catching preg, even though the doctors swear it isn't possible. I have two wonderful children (now teens) that are all the proof I need. I knew if I wanted anymore kids, all I would need to do is get on the pill again, because that is what worked for me.

My advice at this point is keep venting on the boards, stick with the plan, watch your sodium intake, caffeine, and any 'sneaky' carbs - like sugar alcohols. Some women just have a harder time losing if they intake those types of foods. If things don't improve in the weeks to come, visit your GP.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 09:49
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

FYI

The original post was from 2001.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 10:02

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

Sorry, didn't see the date...

Still, information could be helpful for a newbie. We were all there once.