Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-08, 08:36

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 162/162/125 Female 5 ft. 2
BF:
Progress:
Default Gestational diabetes

Hi there!

I just discovered this forum yesterday, and have been trolling through the archived posts. I didn't find anything on gestational diabetes, so I hope that I'm not repeating anything that's already been covered.

I've always been health-conscious about food, having been a vegetarian for 18 years (although admittedly not as up on the protein as I should be), and made the move to mostly organic food in the last few years. The vegetarianism was an ethical choice, and the organic one because it just seemed to make sense.

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes-- I was disappointed but not entirely surprised as I had the big three risk factors: overweight, over 30, and with a family history of the disease.

My OB sent me to the Diabetes Resource Center at the hospital for a class, where I learned how to check my blood sugar, and they gave me a meal plan to follow (including the number of carbs to eat, etc). Well, a funny thing happened: when I stuck to their number of recommended carbs (1 cup of rice for dinner, etc), I COULD NOT get my glucose levels where they needed to be. So, I began eliminating things like rice, bread, etc, and suddenly, lo and behold, the glucose was below the target range. I e-mailed the nutritionist with this info, asking if she thought I was just carb sensitive... and have yet to hear back from her.

After realizing this, I began doing some research on the subject (the insane Diabetic Food Pyramid, anyone??), and also talked with the nurse at my school. It was she who told me about The Schwarzbein Principle, and basically validated my personal experience.

So. Here I am. I bought the cookbook yesterday, as my school has copies of the book to check out (waiting on one to come back), but my issue right now is figuring out how many carbs to eat per meal and also how many proteins with which those carbs should be paired. Also, even though I really didn't want to, I've begun eating low-mercury fish such as salmon and flounder, as I've been reading some disturbing things about soy.

Also, I wondered if anyone else had success with controlling their gestational diabetes through TSP; at this point, the nutritionist has recommended that I go on insulin at night and I would really rather not.

Apologies for the long post.

So glad that this forum is here!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 14:40

Stats: 162/162/125 Female 5 ft. 2
BF:
Progress:

Wow. 12 views and not one reply-- not even a "hello"!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-08, 08:16

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello,
I am sorry no one replied to you so wanted to say hi. it is normally quiet in this part of the forum.You can post your questions here http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95

for more success in getting it answered. Also you can visit the diabetes section .

Ok coming to managing blood sugar please dont ever follow the ADA diet it will not do you any good. Diet is the single most factor that will help you contol blood sugar. You can purchase a glucose meter wich are very inecpensive now a days to see how you react to different food. You are in the right track with Schwarzbein, but dont go lower carb becasue with pregnancy you do need carbs for you and the little one. But try not to eat simple and refined sugars and eat complex carbohydrates in the form of vegetables ,fruits, and whole grain products. you might also have hypoglycemia which is very bad for pregnancy so eat more time during the day with whole food as much as possible.

I have not had gestational diabetes so please take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Please listen to the experiences of other people. All the best and happy pregnancy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 14:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hello. I was gestational diabetic when I was pregnant. I was lucky to be able to eat the recommended serving of starchy grains and veggies and keep my blood sugar less than 120. I found a few kinds of bread and fresh pineapple were things that would raise my blood sugar, so I eliminated them. During the last month, in the room relaxing while doing a fetal stress test, I talked some with the other Gestational Diabetic moms and found that some of them were strictly meat and green veggies or there blood sugars would go into the 300's and our doctor knew they were on this diet. I think they figure it is better to keep the blood glucose normal as long as you are taking your vitamins.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 11:30

Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Hello, Hello, Hello!!!!!!!
I am here, come talk to me, come visit my sister's new blog, and I promise to help you through this.
I am someone that had gestational diabetes with every pregancy but the last, and we still monitored my blood sugars closely, because even though the tests said I had it, I would have the same sensations I did with my other pregancies. Dizziness, lightheadedness, all kind of funky stuff if my BS went up.

Trust me. Do what ever it takes to keep your BS low, which mean eat only a small amount of carbs and exercise. Those two things kept my BS managable during my last two pregnancies, the two that I low carbed in. You can do this I promise you. Log everything you eat! I never, ever had to do insulin at night. Now GD is a different animal from other forms of diabetes, you may need to do it, but I promise if you control your carbs, you may not have to.
Personally I never worried about the amount of protien or fat I would eat, your body needs those nutrients and so does the baby. If you are hungry eat some meat and veggies. Have cold turkey, chicken, boiled eggs handy to beat those cravings.

Before I went to bed every night I ate about 1/2 cup of WHOLE MILK yogurt, not the LOW FAT kind, 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries, and 1/4 of almonds. It was a great night treat to have. If that is too much for you, then drop down the fruit.

I never drank milk, ate only cheese and yogurt, and took calcium and magnesium to treat constipation. Calcium and iron causes constipation, magnesium will help with that!

In the morning all I could eat, would be 1 egg, and a wasa cracker, the lowest carb I could find. If that is too much cut the cracker in half. After a couple of hours, I could eat a bit more. I found my BS had that hardest time in the morning, at least as far as I felt, not in the numbers. My BS could be 95 and I would feel yucky, that horrible head feeling I was telling you about. Also, stay away from ANYTHING that has high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list. I found, that if I consumed that my BS would be irradict for two or three days after ingesting that yucky stuff. It can hide in a slice of bread, or a cup of yogurt, so it is important to read those labels.

I don't visit here very often anymore, I am trying to, so the best place to find me is
The Bourne Sisters Lowcarb Haven

I ate the typical 15 grams of carb per meal that she suggested. I increased the good fats, (butter, coconut oil,(I can tell you were to find a good place to order that if you need too, it is good for diabetes) olive oil and canola oil) again I did not worry about fats. I fudges my reports to the dietician, to make it seem like I was eating less, because I didn't want a battle.

Again never, ever, ever skimp on the protiens or the fats.
Good luck
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 11:40

Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Oh, one other thing. I always tried to keep my Blood sugars below 100, below 90 was even better. Now I know that is not always possible with GD, but if your Dr. sees those numbers trust me he will be very delighted.
I never felt well if my numbers were close to 120 so that is my experience.

What makes GD different from other forms of diabetes is that insulin is actually blocked from doing what it needs to do. Your body makes it, but can't utilize it. Sounds like insulin resistance doesn't it! It is believed the placenta releases a hormone that causes this, and that is why GD goes away after birth. It is also why you might see someone thin and active with GD.

I was a baby nurse, and trust me, this is all about keeping that baby healthy. GD is not good for the baby, not great for mom, but the risks are all to the baby for the most part with this condition. GD causes large babies, babies that have slower developing lungs, so they can have trouble breathing after birth, they also can have trouble with managing their own BS after birth because their little bodies can adjust to the very low blood sugars babies normally have, and drop even farther, because they still produce insulin in reaction to their mothers insulin levels for days after birth.

Good luck