Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:49

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%
Default 4 pounds/8 days

In the last eight days, I've lost four pounds, ending a two-month stall. (my gratitude to WF is immense)

But I'm left uncertain of the "why." Possibilities:

- it may have been just my time. After a two month stall, the whoosh fairy is beyond due!

- I made a point of eating about 45-50 g of carbs for three days before that--was gaining weight as I did, so cut back down (and didn't feel any better physically for doing so, so why continue, eh?) Maybe the whoosh was triggered by what Atkins refers to as a reversal diet.

- a bit tougher to face, if this is true. I quit eating eggs. In no sense had eggs ever hinted they were a danger food--no cravings, no "going back for just one more deviled egg" when I was full, no physical symptoms, no sulfa drug allergies (often egg yolk allergies and that go hand-in-hand). And yeah, I'll vaguely miss eggs, but not so awfully much and it's not an emotional sort of feeling--so I don't feel upset about quitting them as I once did when I realized wheat was a permanent no-no for me.

In case it's that third explanation, I'm staying away from eggs indefinitely. If I end up stalling again for another six weeks soon...well, then it probably wasn't eggs and I'll go back to eating them.

Thought I'd share, and any ideas/suggestions/insights would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Haven't you cut out dairy products too?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 12:13

Karen, I did quit dairy for just over two weeks and gained a pound, so thought, "okay, this isn't working." This week, as I've lost, I ate cheese, cream, and even some cottage cheese as part of a casserole recipe. So I don't think it's the dairy (I also kept off it for three weeks last summer and didn't lose a thing then, either, so I suspected it wasn't dairy for me then, but thought I'd try quitting again to see what happened). Unless it's a delayed woosh from that...but that seems unlikely, doesn't it?

I have to say, though, I'm impressed you remembered! With so many people on the board, that you can recall anyone's particulars is amazing!

Determining causation in these cases is so hard...and I feel like I've been a bad scientist in shifting too many factors ("bad scientist, bad!" lol)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 12:49

Default hmm

well, regained those pounds, so....maybe not eggs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/252/195
BF:
Progress: 46%

I lost about 8 pounds in the last two weeks and am totally at a loss why. I never lost more than 2 pounds a week before. I have been too busy lately to eat breakfast so I was doing without eggs and bacon. I've been eating about 2 meals a day, slightly larger since I'm much more hungry when lunch comes around. Often I'm having a small serving of bread (maybe 12 carbs). Has anyone else had a similar thing happen?

BJ

(Yeah I know I'm not a turtle, I was just lurking in the forum)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/207/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default 4 pounds/8 days

Hi,

I realize I am replying to a six month old thread and I have just found (and joined) this forum. I will post an intro later but I have a pressing issue regarding Atkins. I started it a week ago and now find I have developed a rash from my feet on up to my lower legs. I have been eating a lot more eggs this past week. I usually only take in maybe 1-2 eggs a week (if even that) either along or cooked in other things.

But I like the boiled eggs and mayonnaise combination so well I was using about three boiled eggs a day and using this as my dressing in celery and on salads.

I remember having the same type of reaction years ago when I took a sulfa antibiotic for an ear infection. After a week of little or no results I started developing this rash.

I have been reading the Atkins book and hoping I would get rid of cravings, lose some weight but mainly feel better and have more energy instead of dragging around. The only result I have gotten is to lose a couple of pounds, get rid of the cravings and now this rash and slight tingling sensation.

So my question to all of you is are eggs (or egg yolks) and sulfa meds somehow related? If so then my low carb eating as far as follosing Atkins is doomed. I will definitely have to tweak the induction program (or bypass it altogether) if I have an egg allergy.

I have not had any problems with eggs in the past and have not had any reaction to the flu shots. So it might be I am allergic to eggs above a certain quantitiy.

I just hope I have nipped this problem in the bud before I become a walking case of hives
Bev
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 18:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Bev You should probably post your question as a new thread -either in Atkins forum or General Health. I'm sure there are others out there that have an answer or have been down that same road.

I know there is some kind of acid in red meat and eggs that can cause problems in excess. You don't want to develop a full blown allergy to eggs-you need them in so many dishes.