Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 13:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe there are different kinds. I think I got mine at Whole Foods, by a big name label that makes coconut oil too. Anyway, I'm someone that likes many different sorts of foods and I don't have many dislikes, but that oil tasted awful to me.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 05:35

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Has anyone else noticed that many nut butters list palm oil in the list of ingredients?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 09:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Has anyone else noticed that many nut butters list palm oil in the list of ingredients?

Good nut butters generally have just a single ingredient, not a list .
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 09:53
Experimenter

BF:

It is also most likely refined palm oil to take away the taste and color. Also, I probably wouldn't mind it so much if it were an ingredient in a flavorful ethnic dish where other things are competing and complementing.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 14:20

Plan: Atkins/paleo/natural
Stats: 290/280/180 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Hello this is my first time posting on this site and this seems like a fitting subject for my first post.

Palm oil in my opinion does steam like an interesting cooking product and something that I would like to experiment with. I have scanned many West African recipes and you truly cannot begin to properly prepare West African food unless you are ready to use palm oil, because it is one of the essential building blocks of African flavor. Perhaps it is something that one has to acquire a taste for but in the African continent they absolutely love it!
Unfortunately, there's a whole nother' side to this discussion that is extremely unfortunate and therefore renders me VERY apprehensive in even attempting to be involved in the purchase of this product. Unless I can see that the oil was obtained by a responsible and sustainable grower, then I will not be involved.

Palm oil production, weight for weight, is responsible for more deforestation/carbon emmisions/human and animal suffering than any other crop on this planet!
Due to the fact that; "Today, around 50 percent of the goods we use every day contain palm oil, from processed foods to candles, grooming products and “biofuels”(Rainforest-rescue.org)". A previous poster stated that any "good quality" nut butter has no such ingredient and they are correct, however, that hold absolutely zero bearing on what the rest of the world consumes. You will likely rarely find the words "palm oil" in any ingredient list, why you ask? Due to the fact that the USA, Britain, and many other first world nations know for a fact what is happening but they still want the oil. So, since they don't want to deal with the backlash from enviromental groups they passdd a law that makes it legal for them to list it as "vegetable oils and fats" therefore, you will most likely never even know if it is in your "organic nut butter" or not!
Due to the fact that this plant needs a tropical "rainforest like" atmosphere to grow, our rainforests bear the brunt of their quest for money. Vast swathes of rainforest are taken out DAILY to make room for the more profitable palm oil tree.
"Today, rainforest area the equivalent of 300 soccer fields is being destroyed every hour. (Rainforest-rescue.org)"

The fact is, the production of this oil is an absolute plague to our planet and the very future of earth as we know it, it truly is that bad!

I really hate to come off so preachy but you guys certainly seem like you are concerned abd aware citizens of this planet and definitely care about health. So I figured that since no one else brought it up that it was important to at least make people aware. If you do want to buy palm oil just make sure you buy it from brands that are trustworthy and listed as sustainable and organic....and who can be trusted as such lol
Thanks for your time guys and I hope some of you find this information important!!!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 16:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

To Original Poster...

Red Palm Oil tastes like warm, red rain directly sent from heaven that fell thru a smokey cloud farted out by unicorns. Seriously, it just tastes like... Palm oil
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sweet, turns into solid like good coconut oil when cool.

Caution, will impart its favour and COLOR into anything you make with it.

Here's some info to consider purchasing it to calm you down a bit after reading above (it is a serious problem I understand. Malaysia is where the majority of the oil comes from now)

http://www.rspo.org/

Please be prepared to spend a lot of money on it (good stuff). This is really the only thing you can do about the problem short of telling everyone else not to use it. You can do that to if you like, dealers choice.

Some good stuff in my opinion...

#22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 03:31

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Atkins products, especially its line of sweet snacks, list palm oil in its ingredients.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 07:03
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My first order (and last) of red palm oil came from Amazon and leaked all over the box. I returned it immediately after tasting. I didn't like the taste or the texture, not to mention the lasting orange color. It was very off-putting.

It's hard to know what sources are in the truth-telling business any more. I don't know if my CO eating is destroying the rain forests. I can only hope not. Just as we have almost no way of knowing how many GMOs we're eating, tracking the footprint of our food is becoming harder all the time. We can just do the best we can with the information we have.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 08:09
Experimenter

BF:

I can't imagine a GMO coconut tree. There's no real reason to GMO them or even use pesticides on them. They grow like weeds. I don't think you need to worry about them being cut down because the oil comes from the fruit, not the tree and it takes 15 years before they reach peak bearing. That's true for palm oil too.

They stick "Non-GMO" on anything as a sales gimmick. Just like they put "fat free" on things that never contained fat, like red vines.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 09:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious!

- Lazy Sunday
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-16, 09:28
Experimenter