Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-17, 20:40

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Low carb potatoes anyone?

We low carbers may not be getting the medical community's attention but it looks like we are getting the food industry's attention.

Quote:
Potandon debuts low-carb potato

There have been limited entries into the low-carb potato market in the U.S., but now two major American companies are getting behind a new option being marketed as having 55 percent less carbohydrate content than rice or pasta.
The CarbSmart potato developed by Potandon Produce will be marketed in five-pound bags by Green Giant.

Director of Product Marketing and Development Carter Bray said CarbSmart has been in development for years and is aimed at multiple consumer trends, including those about health.

“It gives some people who are a little weary on the carb front permission to eat, and you’re getting good nutrition,” he said.

Aside from the ongoing popularity of low-carb and low-calorie foods, Bray said the yellow-skinned and yellow-fleshed CarbSmart also takes advantage of the popularity of colored varieties.

In addition, the popularity of at-home cooking plays into the decision of marketing the new variety in five-pound bags.

Bray said Potandon is confident that the CarbSmart can appeal to both millennials and baby boomers. Though they both think of health differently, and may require distinctive messages to reach them, millennials will be looking for healthier options as they begin having families and start cooking for the children, while baby boomers may start keeping a closer on eye on health as they age.

Until now there have been limited low-carb potato offerings, including the Canadian Carisma variety, which came out in 2016 and was marketed mostly for having a low glycemic index and therefore wouldn’t spike blood sugar.

In New Zealand, a low-carb potato variety called Lotatoes, which was released this year though it won’t see wide distribution until November, won the Primary Sector Products Award at the 2017 New Zealand Food Awards.

At home, at the annual meeting of Potatoes USA earlier this year, CEO Blair Richardson said the U.S. potato industry should stop trying to combat negative health claims against potatoes and start touting the nutritional benefits of potatoes, especially as a healthy source of energy for athletes and those with active lifestyles.

“What we see is consumers that want health and nutrition and ‘proper fuels’ (you hear that phrase) to get through their day and through their activities,” Bray said.

Potandon is also marketing CarbSmart’s other nutritional advantages, such as having plenty of potassium and vitamin C. Also, when the company debuted the new product at PMA Fresh Summit in October, Bray said there were many questions of how the company was able to reduce the carbohydrate content. He said underlying that question was interest in whether the CarbSmart is a GMO or not.

Bray said one of the reasons why it took years to bring the new product to market was because it was developed without genetic modification and needed the hard work and cooperation of breeders.

He said PMA was the first time anyone outside of the Potandon saw CarbSmart and that the company is selling it to distributors now. He said to expect more developments with the variety in the last quarter of the year.

link to original
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 08:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I thought we already had it, and it was called "cauliflower."

And it is actually far more nutritious.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 08:53

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

The only problem with cauliflower is that it tastes like cauliflower. Lol. I’m skeptical that lower carb potatoes will actually be low enough carb for me to enjoy on a semi regular basis, but I would be interested in making meals including potatoes more often for my kids.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 14:10

BF:

I have made cauliflower potato salad and I am happy with it, but tastes do differ.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Nov-26-17 at 04:34.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 19:31

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I’ve never tried cauliflower potato salad, but I have made other fauxtato recipes with cauliflower and have been ok with them. I do wish I really liked cauliflower instead of merely tolerating it as a not great tasting vehicle for butter, salt, and other flavors that I actually enjoy.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 20:08

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I add goat cheese to my mashed cauliflower and it is DE Lish!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 15:11

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use turnip bulbs to mimic potatoes. Works best in dishes that impart a lot of flavor. Like putting turnip cubes in a chuck roast crock pot on low for 8 hours. Have also added onions, cabbage and carrots to this dish. Instead of water I use red wine, malt vinegar, and spices.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 15:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Another mashed cauliflower lover. Butter, goat or cream cheese and it's better than any potatoes I've eaten. Tastes do vary, however. I'll have to give the cauliflower version of potato salad a try when the warm weather is back.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Ok so I tried this way this weekend and honest, cross my heart, they have the same texture as mashed potatoes. The secret is to put the cauliflower in a bowl in the microwave with heavy cream and butter, nuke until tender, transfer to blender add bacon bits, chives, sour cream, parm cheese or any combination of these, OMG, really.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Boiled radishes, also male a delish potato salad...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 19:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I always use a stick blender to mix my mashed cauli - mixes in the cream cheese, butter, and seasonings, and gives it a lovely, smooth texture.

It definitely doesn't taste like potatoes though - no way around that. I don't particularly care for the taste of cauliflower, so I add a lot of garlic powder and onion powder to counteract the cauliflower flavor.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 13:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't like the texture of mashed cauliflower, but I love it sliced & fried in butter like I used to do with potatoes. It's the butter I love more than the vegetable - almost any veggie tastes good to me this way.

And the "low carb" potatoes wouldn't be low enough for me, anyway. Now, if they'd invent a really low carb tater & turn it into potato chips - that I'd try! I do miss my chips.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 21:14

BF:

Stick blenders are like magic wands!