Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I used to throw fresh coconut meat and apple in the blender with raw eggs..I forget what I used to make it more liquid though, coconut water when I had it, water or juice. It was delicious.. right now I don't have a blender but I like minced apples with really thick coconutmilk or cream on them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo*lite
Stats: 185/135/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Banana Date Butter

8 dates chopped
1/4 C orange juice
1 banana sliced
1 tbl oil
1 tbl lemon juice

In saucepan, combine dates and juice. Heat on high for 2 minutes. Process all ingredients until smooth. Little specks of dates will remain. Chill, it can refriderate for up to a week.
Paleo.com
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo*lite
Stats: 185/135/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Almond Muffins

1 c almond butter
1 c sliced almonds
1 c pure coconut milk
3 eggs

Beat all ingredients together and pour into muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 18:24

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default coconut chicken soup

I just posted this in a different thread, but I'll put it here too.

THAI-WANNABE COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP

ingredients:
diced raw chicken, or chicken leftovers
basil (fresh or dried)
ginger root, sliced
lemon (juice and zest)
onion, chopped
garlic, crushed
1 quart chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
bay leaf
whole cloves
cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
fat (butter+olive oil, coconut oil, lard, etc)

1. fry diced chicken breast in your fat of choice with salt, pepper, basil, sliced ginger, and lemon zest. set aside
2. meanwhile, saute a chopped onion along with some more sliced ginger and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic for 3-5 min
3. add a quart of chicken stock and a can of coconut milk to the onions. also toss in a bay leaf, some whole cloves if you've got em, and some cayenne pepper and simmer for 20 min
4. add the chicken and a squeeze of lemon juice and warm through. you could also add some fresh basil at this point...all I had was dried, bleah

Might be interesting to add lemongrass, or some other veggies. This was an "ack, all I have left in the fridge is an onion!" soup, haha.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 17:34

BF:
Default bacon and oranges

Hmm, I was just looking up oranges and I found this interesting recipe. I think it can be easily modified to be paleo by omitting the sugar and substituting almond flour (or any nut flour) for the cornmeal. I think it would make a nice change of pace for a morning meal.

Bacon and Oranges

Try this some morning for breakfast. Take twelve strips of bacon, twelve slices of oranges, three teaspoons sugar and a little cornmeal. Fry bacon until crisp and remove to hot platter. Slice oranges, sprinkle lightly with sugar, dip in cornmeal and fry quickly in hot bacon fat. Arrange on platter around bacon and serve immediately.

Last edited by kallyn : Wed, Nov-30-05 at 17:35. Reason: spelling
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 15:22

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Almond Cookies

Makes about 18

1 1/2 cups almonds (this recipe calls for crispy almonds which is basically covering your almonds in warm water and about a TBS of celtic sea salt overnite, then drying them out in warm oven until dry and crispy which can take all day)
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1 cup arrowroot
1/2 cup sucanat (I'm going to try today with raw honey)
1/2 tsp sea salt
grated rind of one lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
about 18 almonds

Place almonds in food processor and process to a fine meal. Add remaining ingredients, except 18 almonds, and process until well blended. Form dough into walnut-sized balls and place on oiled cookie sheets. Press an almond into each. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. After 5 minutes in teh oven, press cookies down lightly with a fork. Let cool completely before removing to an airtight container. Store in fridge.

There are also variations:

Raspberry jam cookies -
Omit 18 almonds and use 1/4 cup naturally sweetened raspberry jam. After 5 minutes in the oven, press cookies down slightly, make an indentation and fill with raspberry jam.

Pecan cookies -
Use 1 1/2 cups crispy pecans and 18 crispy pecan halves in place of almonds. Reduce coconut oil by 1/8 cup and omit almond extract.

Carob cookies-
Add 1/2 cup carob powder, 1 tsp chocolate extract (or just use unsweetened cocoa powder and no extract)
and an additional 1/8 cup softened butter or coconut oil. Omit lemon rind, almond extract and 18 crispy almonds.

From the book Nourishing Traditions
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Honey Tangerine Duck

1 5-8 lb duck
2 tsps leaf basil
2 tsps ground ginger
3 tsps salt
1 cup honey
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup orange-pineapple-guava juice
2 tsps lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
4-6 tangerines (peeled)

Mix together basil, ginger and salt.

Mix together in saucepan: honey, butter, orange and lemon juices and dry mustard; boil for 3 minutes.

Rub about 1/3 of basil mixture inside of duck and rub the rest on the outside.

Stuff duck with tangerine slices.

Pour half the honey mixture over the duck in roaster breast side up, include a bit in the inside (with the tangerines). Cover and roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Keep honey mixture warm.

Reduce heat to 350°, turn duck breast side down and pour rest of honey mixture over duck. Cover and roast breast side down until duck is very tender, about 22 minutes per pound (total cooking time).
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 10:38
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I adapted the recipe below from one I found in the recipe section of this site.

Flax-blueberry-nut-cinnamon muffins

3 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup (could use honey or stevia, I'm sure)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
sm container blueberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum kind)
2 tablespoons cinnamon (yes, the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. Add in the blueberries and nuts. In separate small bowl, combine dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 18-20 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator. Can be frozen.

I used Grade B maple syrup instead of the DaVinci syrup called for in the original recipe, but I'm sure honey or stevia could be used instead. This made the muffins total probably 5-6 carbs each. I get this syrup in bulk from the HFS and it's supposed to be very healthy with gobs of vitamins and minerals. In fact, there is a fast called the Master Cleanse that uses this syrup, mixed with lemon juice and cayenne pepper in pure water, as the only nourishment during the fast. I have never had an adverse blood sugar effect from Grade B.

These muffins are absolutely exquisite! My husband had 2 muffins for dessert last night after I went to bed. He said he could've sat there and eaten 6 of them! He would've have hell to pay to me for eating them up so quickly! Next time, we'll replace the blueberries with cranberries!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 21:29

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 150/134/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I make mayonnaise with walnut oil and use a simple recipe.

1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
dash sea salt
2/3 to 1 cup walnut oil

I mix the first 4 ingredients with an immersion (stick) blender and then slowly drizzle the oil in while continuously blending. When it's at the consistency I like, I stop adding oil.

My usual breakfast is egg salad. One chopped hardboiled egg, finely diced celery, and enough mayo to bind it together. That and a coconut milk / frozen fruit smoothie is a nice way to start the day.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 01:38
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Coconut banana pudding.

Chill in fridge can(s) of thick type coconut milk (like "A Taste of Thai" brand).

When can(s) are cold, mix with slices of 2 bananas (per can).

EAT! It's a great treat!

I know this is a stupid recipe, but I love it!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 17:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Coconut Custard

I used light coconut milk, actually it was my failed yogurt experiment. It had the tang of yogurt, but not the thickness.

3 eggs
1 C coconut milk (Mine was lite)
Sweetener and flavorings to taste (I used vanilla, and I'll dump cinnamon on before serving)

Beat eggs in a separate bowl with a whisk or fork. Boil coconut milk. Gradually add coconut to eggs... S L O W L Y! You have to bring up the temperature of the eggs gradually otherwise they'll curdle. Stir eggs briskly while adding. Once all the coconut milk is added, pour mixture into pan coconut milk was in and heat until just short of boiling (med-low heat) whisking the entire time. Take off heat, keep whisking until it cools a little.
Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 23:58

BF:
Default salmon mustard curry

SALMON MUSTARD CURRY

No measurements. This is Indian food! They laugh at your "measurements." Eyeball it for the amount of meat/fish you have.

you will need:
onions, both grated and chopped
ginger, grated
garlic, minced
turmeric
mustard seeds
chili peppers (I used serrano), halved
coconut milk
raw salmon, cubed

-mix grated onion, grated ginger, minced garlic, turmeric, and mustard seeds together into a paste and fry in butter til it gets a little brown
-add in chili peppers and fry for 2 min
-add in chopped onions and fry til soft
-pour in coconut milk (I used mostly the cream from the top), and a good pinch of salt; simmer for 3 min
-add salmon, simmer uncovered til done (about 8 minutes)
-devour!

I had this today for lunch and it was the tastiest thing I have eaten in awhile.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 06:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Here is one I found.....

Makes 8
Coconut-date bars are a good source of fiber (each has as much as a serving of bran cereal) and potassium.
3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 pound very soft dates, pitted
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
1. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons coconut over the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish. Firmly press dates into coconut, covering bottom of dish. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon coconut and the walnuts, gently pressing into dates. Cut into 2-inch squares. Bars can be stored in an airtight container 2 to 3 days.
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrate; 0 mg sodium; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 01:10
Registered Member

Plan: My own cave
Stats: 145/136/120 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Berry Custard

One thing I have missed since going dairy-free is custard. Coconut milk doesn't agree with me. I made lemon curd, it turned out kinda custardy yum - but the kids didn't like it, so today I made this custard, and had to ration it out, they liked it so much.

Berry Custard

4 eggs
4 egg yolks
2 cups berries - mushed up (I used boysenberries)
1/2 teaspoon stevia (or other sweetener to taste)
1/2 cup coconut oil (I used expeller for no flavour)

Whisk all ingredients except the oil, in a bowl over simmering water until thick - about 10 minutes - remove from heat, whisk in coconut oil and that's it, purple custard. Yummy cold too.

Cavemama
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 07:47

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

wow , that berry custard looks amazing!