Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 01:19

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am assuming that you can see MY PLAN, and you can see just what I am eating, I am going to try this week to adjust the protein, I will cut back and increase the fat?? Right??
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 05:41

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

To let others view your entries you need to make it viewable.

At the left side of the My PLAN opening page select "Edit Settings" then in the "Privacy Options" section change the selection from "No one may view my logs " to either "Other forum members may view my logs" or "Everyone is welcome to view my logs"

Then scroll down to the bottom and click on the button marked "Save Changes"

This should display a clickable link to your My PLAN account at the bottom of each of your posts.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 13:16

BF:

Hi Elizellen, thanks for that info, I was not aware. so I just finished today's menu, Wow it looks like a lot when it is all down in front of you. Is there a way to chose salad or do I have to make up every ingredient separately. I also changed the settings so you can see it, please take a look. Does it subtract the fibre, for eg. my flax, has lots of carbs, but almost es much fibre, making it no carb??? Thanks for all the help getting this going.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 16:08

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Wow you put it together fast huh once you got over the hump.

I think you can make something like "my usual salad" by making a custom food and add the ingredients one by one. then whenever you have "your usual", you just add your custom food. you still have to do the ingredients one by one but if you make a custom food you can do it that one time and then reuse it. how nice.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 09:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well done!
If your salad is regularly a mix of the same ingredients you can select "new bulk entry" or "new recipe" from the choices at the left side and add ingredients to it then save as "my normal salad" or a similar name so you can add it as one entry.

BTW I notice you entered "egg, scrambled" - I know that for other food logging programmes this entry includes what the USDA database decided everyone adds when making scrambled eggs or omelettes - milk and margarine - so the carb count for this will not be accurate if all you use is butter and eggs.
So for scrambled eggs or omelettes you will get a better idea of your numbers if you add the eggs on their own "egg, raw, whole" and any fat you used to make the dish.

The same will be true for any entries that are not just plain raw ingredients, so be careful if selecting any "recipe" type of entries as your recipe will probably be different to the generic one the USDA database compilers used.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 14:36

BF:

Thanks Elizellen, I won't have time tonight, I have chores to do. But tomorrow I will adjust some of the entries, thanks so much for your help. As for decreasing the protein, I have to have 2 eggs for breakfast, one just won't do it. I'm going to use the bacon again and cut out the flax muffin. I'm afraid I use protein for snacking too. I mean I can't snack on carbs. I'm feeling a bit frustrated today.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 15:22

BF:

Frustrated why? how are you adding fat as you take out protein?

if you add more fat to your meals, maybe you won't need to snack at all. or you can snack on fat. I know that sounds funny.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 16:47

BF:

I guess that is where I'm having trouble. I have no idea how to add fat?? For example, when I get home from work, I need something, so I usually have an oz. or two of cheese, or a couple of pepperettes(1 gr of carb for 2) it is better than a cookie or a bunch of crackers. Protein has to be the choice?? Don't misunderstand me, I don't cheat, don't want to, but I'm stuck here, I need a suggestion or two. Thanks
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 17:02

BF:

Yes I see. This might change how your hunger goes and make you not want those protein snacks.

For example, you could add half an avocado to breakfast, and the rest of it at lunch. Or add some fancy Boursin cheese (mostly fat). You might get home not hungry like you used to be, and then you can have dinner and not need a snack.

If you add fat you might last longer between meals, and not be hungry for snacks every 2-3 hours.

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Sep-16-14 at 17:31.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 16:39

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't like avocado, but I will eat any kind of cheese know to man. I think this is going to be tough. If I can't lose with what I'm eating now, how on earth am I ever going to advance, this is OK for now, but it will get old real fast??? that is why I feel frustrated.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 17:12

BF:

Are there any other fats you might like? coconut? cream? butter? Olive oil? tuna in oil?

Golly, if you're already low on carbs, and you want to try lowering protein, and you're tapped out on fats, that doesn't sound like fun at all, LOL

Your body is trying to tell you something, though, if you're gaining pounds. are you sure it's not muscle or bone? are you under 30? we still put "bone in the banK' all the way up to then. A woman should not weigh at 30 what she weighed in high school, or else maybe trouble down the line with osteo thingies.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 20:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How about chicken liver pate? Lots of fat in that.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 01:12

BF:

I like chicken liver, I will try that, and for Seejay, I'm 63 so I don't think it is the bone thing, as far muscle, I'm not weight training, I'm just active all day long, so I doubt that either, my job is physical
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 07:22

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Butter and coconut oil are my lifesavers when it comes to fat. Seejay is absolutely right: the more fat you eat the less you want to snack, and I speak as a lifelong snacker, even during the early years of low carb, before somebody told me about the value of high fat.

I put butter and coconut oil in my first coffee of the morning and blend it with a stick blender. It is not greasy at all. Just creamy and frothy. I know, it's hard to get your head around, but these 'bulletproof coffees' have become very popular for a reason.

After that, if I'm still hungry when I get to work (which is rarely), I'll have a big plate of fried eggs, bacon, and sausage. And that's often all I need for the rest of the day because all the fat is so satiating. If I do eat in the evening on a day like that, it will be something very simple: a little cheese, liver pate, cucumber, celery, or a couple of soft boiled eggs.

On a day without the big fatty breakfast I might have fish or a juicy, fatty, steak in the evening with sautéed spinach. The steak, fish and the spinach will be cooked with grass-fed butter.

It can definitely be done. I eat very simply but have no problem incorporating as much fat as possible for satiation. A note of caution on cheese, which I love too: yes, the fat content is good, but it can cause stalls for a lot of people because it's such a handy go-to snack and very easy to overeat.

All the best.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 09:59

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Agree with fats keeping you from snacking. When I do snack its usually on butter (big ol’ slice right off the knife ). Coconut oil also has so many other benefits that I’ve found aside from keeping you satisfied. I used to do butter and coconut oil in my coffee every morning, but lately haven't been. I have found that since I upped my fat intake I very rarely eat dinner. And when I do it’s a fat bomb (go figure).