Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 23:40

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 6 Feet 1 Inch
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Hi, I am Eric and am wanting to start Atkins...

Here is my story.

I am 14 years old...and over 300 pounds. It really sucks...and I know it. Today some kid kept calling me fatty and chunky. He even asked me if I eat kids I dont like? I am so sick of it. I have been diagnosed with Depression. And I feel my weight is A LOT of it!

Now you can say your still a teen and it's not healthy to do a Low-Carb. But I really want to. School starts August 25th. And I wanna go back with as much change as possible. Not just on the outside, but the inside as well. I have no self-confidence. I am sick of the little things like no girlfriend, people hating me becuase of how I look. I am sick of being made fun of in Gym Class. I am sick of it all.

My parents are split up...I dont see my dad and my sister will be going back to college. My mom just lays around all day. WELL I DONT...I am a teen...I want to live my life, to the fullest, not laying around eating junk food.

I need your help and support...all you can give me. I think I am going to just have meat and nothing else for the first month. And Walk. and Drink LOTS of Water.

I have a Few Questions Though,

1. Can I get medication to higher my matabolism (did I spell that right?)

2. How Much Do You Think I can lose in a month and 6 days, drinking water, walking, eating just meat)?

3. Will I, or anybody else see a change in what I lose?

4. What are some good/easy things for a teen to make. I am the only one on Atkins, so I need ideas for me, for when my family has what they eat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 00:10

Plan: Isagenixs
Stats: 211/174/135 Female 5'2"
BF:way too much
Progress: 49%

Hi Eric,
Welcome, I am pretty new (again) to LC'ing. I am really glad that your here. I wish I had been as proactive as you when I was your age.

Regarding the teasers, kids are cruel, as if you didn't know. Allow your success to be your weapon of choice. You sound like such an intelligent young man. I know you can do it.

Clearly I am no doctor, just a mom myself. Is it possible to see your doctor before you begin? I think you should go to the library and check out the Dr. Atkins book or at least read as much as you can on the web. LC'ing is more that just eating meat and drinking water. If you don't do it correctly you will not be as successful as you could be, you may even go off of the program due to food boredom, in addition to your health.

This is my second time around on LC, and I had great success which is why I am back and doing it again. My success came from celebrating all of the great foods that I could have unlike on all of the other diets I've tried in my past. I also had very little support in the begining so my goal was to
SHOW THEM!! I continued to go to the same places and do the same things with my friends and family prior to LC'ing, I would just put a LC spin on all of my favorite foods. I loved Chevy's a mexican resturant. I would usually have the chicken quesidilla's. I switched to chicken fajita's w/cheese, sour cream, etc. ect. I think I loved the looks on the faces of people who thought I would fall flat on my face. Even for a party at work, I brought a jello cake for myself topped with whip cream. Everyone was usually more interested in what I was eating!!

You go boy! You will be great!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 00:22
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Eric,

You sound like a very smart guy, and like you're really ready to lose some weight. It will probably come off quickly for you, especially if you drink all the water and plan on walking!

If you want to do it right you should probably get the book, it will tell you exactly what you should be eating like meat, cheese, eggs and what vegetables and salad dressings are allowed. You will really need to eat the vegetables or you will get constipated (which is no fun at all). If you have no way to get the book, I think the rules of "induction" which is the first phase of the woe (way of eating) is on the Atkins website.

I believe that you can lose a noticeable amount of weight before you go back to school. And I do not believe it is unhealthy for a teenager to eat Low Carb. In fact I think it is a healthy way for everyone to eat. Also, you will not need to take anything to raise your metabolism, between eating Low Carb and walking you will become a fat burning machine!

Aren't you lucky to be so tall, at 14 you must be taller than most of the other kids your age! My son is 16 and 5'9" so far - he would KILL to be 6 feet tall! (Well, not really "kill" but you know what I mean). Try not to let people's mean comments hurt your feelings, just be glad you're not a jerk like them. What grade are you going into? Are you starting the woe right away? I promise you that there are tons of awesome people here to help you, and it will be easier than you think, especially since you are so determined.

Hm, maybe you should have eggs for breakfast, they're easy to fix, you can put some cheese on them if you want to, yum. Don't know what your cooking skills are like, if you need instructions just ask.

Hang in there, you will be tall AND slim before you know it if you follow this woe!

Liz
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 00:39

BF:

I had a question, I forgot it now...Another is, What should my goal be...what is Average for 14? Thanks.

yruhere121:

Thanks...Yes kids sure are cruel, for sure. I have dealt with it since about 3rd or 4th grade. I have read Dr. Atkin's book before. My uncle is on Atkins, but he is OR and I am in MI. Could you give me any ideas for what you make for meals?
Thanks for the support and good luck to you too!

LizWhip:
Yes I hope on losing ASAP and As MUCH as possible!...Are grapes allowed, on induction if they are? I plan on starting well...NOW...I am drinking water as we speak. I sure hope I am a fat burning machine

I am going into 8th grade, I am starting the woe now. I think Eggs and Sausage sounds good...is that ok?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 00:54
aka Celestine

BF:

Hi Eric-

No grapes right now, but eggs and sausage, absolutely! No fruit for a while (weird, huh?) but you get to eat lots of other good stuff instead. What vegetables do you like (or at least tolerate)? If you tell me which ones you like I'll let you know which ones of those you can eat.

I don't think there is a weight/age average, but using your height is a good way of figuring out how much you should weigh. I think a goal of 220 would be good for you right now. When you get there you can decide if you think you'd look/feel better losing more. You'll probably be getting taller as you are getting slimmer, so that will help too!

Liz
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 01:15

BF:

Asparagus, Beans, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Celery, Cucumbers (a veggie?)

Those are some.

I am really looking for things to make. I am so hyped, I just hope I am not too hyped.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 01:37
aka Celestine

BF:

Hi Eric,

You can eat all of those with the possible exception of tomatoes and cucumbers, hmm, I will look those up. Oh, and just green beans in the "bean" category. Remember you can put butter on them (real butter, not margarine) or melt some cheese on top if you want to. On your lettuce you can put "full fat" dressing which usually means ranch or bleu cheese. Check the label for how many carbs are in a certain amount. You know that you are shooting to stay under 20 carbs a day, right?

You should be hyped, it's extremely exciting!

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 01:51
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi Eric, cucumbers are fine to eat - make sure you eat things in moderation - but with meat you can eat pretty much what you like - you can eat the fat on meat too - and remember if you need sauce on things then have only mayonaise.
Also, Liz has given you some great advice on things like fats - so you can have things like cheese on things and butter on vegies.
Make sure you DO eat vegies too or else you'll get sick from not having enough vitamines.
Also, if you go to www.atkins.com they have loads of different great tips and bits and bobs on there. There's almost everything you need to know - about food - induction and what to eat etc.
Good luck sweetie pie - you can do it!
What a cool dude! ;-)
xxx
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 02:05
aka Celestine

BF:

Hi again -

Looks like you can have a bit of tomato on your salad if you want to, too.

One thing you should be aware of is that you might feel kind of sick for the first few days as your body is going into ketosis (that's what turns you into the fat-burning machine I mentioned earlier). Maybe headachey or a bit like you are getting a flu or something. This is temporary, I promise. After those few days (for me it was 3 days, which is about normal) you will feel great. When you start noticing that you are feeling lousy, know that it's a good thing.

Liz
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 10:15

Plan: Isagenixs
Stats: 211/174/135 Female 5'2"
BF:way too much
Progress: 49%

Hey Eric?

Do you feel the luv!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 12:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/190/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Newbie too!

Eric,
I am really excited for you and KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Are your parents supporting you in this?

Christy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaumgardn
Eric,
I am really excited for you and KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Are your parents supporting you in this?

Christy

Mom just lays around/uses computer...Haven't seen my dad since 2000..

Thanks for all the support everyone.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 22:17
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

You are on the right track Eric!!!! If I was skinny...I would do a cartwheel in your honor!
You can do this. You know you can!
So where abouts are you in MI??? I am in MI too. Just a wondering
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 22:20

BF:

Town called Portland,
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 22:25
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

Lived here all my life....and I don't have a clue as to where it is. But I am in St. Clair.