Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 01:05

Plan: ?
Stats: 178/166/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Fluidity vs. Bar Method/Lotte Berk

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you has ever tried the Bar Method or Lotte Berk DVD's before? If so, how do they compare to the fluidity bar? I've been doing these DVD's and I really enjoy them. I've been laboring over buying a fluidity bar but I want to make sure I can justify the money. Do they use different exercises? Can you do the entire workout without having to use the bar specifically (maybe a chair instead)?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might be able to give me. At the moment, I'm torn between the Supreme Pilates machine or the fluidity bar and I can't make up my mind. My birthday is coming and my DH is wracking his brain trying to figure out what I would like (as am I )

Thanks for the help!

All the best to you...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 06:33

Plan: none
Stats: 138/138/120 Female 5ft 1"
BF:
Progress:
Default decisions, decisions

Hi there - funny you should mention Lotte Berk, but i first bought her excercise (LP) BACK IN THE LATE 70'S, and i have to say watching the fluidity dvd's reminded me of those excercises, very much the same. I too was wondering about the Supreme Pilates, but it isn't as intense so you dont work up a sweat, so you would have to incorporate cardio, out of the two i think fluidity is better. As for using a chair, i dont think that is possible as you put quite a bit of pressure onto the bar, so using a chair would only make it tip up. Hope this helps.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 10:51

Plan: Sonoma
Stats: 220/217/131 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default I fell for it too. Mine just arrived.

I'm so excited about it. I need to follow through and not have this turn into a really expensive thing to toss clothing on. It's not as stable as I expected it to be though. I am wondering if that is because I'm about 90 pounds heavier than anyone else in that commercial? I'm V. Nice to meet you
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 11:55
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

if I recall, the fluidity bar has a decent weight limit on it. Yep, I had to look - before I got pregnant, I was about 10lbs over the limit for the bar and had said that once I lost about 15lbs I'd order it..and then I had a baby..and, well, now I have about 70 to go.

Anyway, you're 225..if it feels unstable to you I'd hate to see how it felt for me when I get to that 300 goal. Goodness.

Bar Height Range: 26" - 39".
Note: Appropriate bar height is approximately
2" below your hip bone.
Closed for Storage: 43"L x 33"W x 4"H
Weight Limit: 300 lbs.
Unit Weight: 55 lbs. (rolls on wheels).
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 13:07

BF:
Default Thanks...

Thanks for all the quick responses!

I think I'm definitely settling into the idea of the Fluidity Bar rather than the Supreme Pilates. The downside to the Supreme Pilates machine is that the only place that's selling it for a reasonable price is at a store but they're offering the Ultimate Pilates machine (a no-name version of the real deal). I think it doesn't even come with any DVD's. And it's hard to get a hold of all of the DVD's without the device. Most people just won't sell one and not the other (on ebay, that is).

At the least I'll be able to buy the Fluidity bar there without having to pay any shipping. That'll help.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

All the best...
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 16:14

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

I just completed my second Fluidity workout today. Yep, it's a challenge, but I did better than the first workout! I thought maybe I should have the bar a bit higher, so I put it onto 12 and it did start coming up off the ground a bit, so I put it back onto 11 and it feels nice and stable there.

We'll see how sore I am in a couple of hours!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 14:35

Plan: Sonoma
Stats: 220/217/131 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Seeing results yet? No.. Just started BUT

Now.. FEELING the results.. Yep. I am so there. I am so sore. The seat and thigh was on back order in my package but that's ok because I'm definantly a beginner! Hope you're all having a great day.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 10:46

BF:

Hi everyone, it's me again. So I've given my hubby the go- ahead for my birthday gift (the Fluidity Bar). However, I'm still waffling a little bit. I've been
doing the Bar Method workouts at home for the last couple of weeks and I love them.

My problem is that while I'm doing the workout, I'm in absolute pain (good pain, that is) especially when it comes to pretzels and seat and thigh work. I can't stop soon enough. When it comes time to stretch, the feeling is as intense as the exercises. So I definitely feel like I'm doing something good. However, the next day, I don't feel a thing. Am I going to change my body at all? I guess I'm a bit worried that I'll be spending $200 on something that's just an elaborate piece of furniture (but believe me I will use it). I really want it to work, you know?

Any thoughts on this? Oh, and just a side note: I'm about fifteen pounds overweight and used to do a lot of strength training and martial arts up until a few years ago. So, I still have a lot of muscle on me but it's covered in goo! I really want to get lean because I've always felt a bit bulky (even when I was active) so I'd really love for this thing to work.

Thanks for your ears everyone!

All the best to you!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 16:52

I did my third Fluidity workout on Wednesday and yes, I feel it greatly in most of the stretching parts, too! I'm just a gruntin' and a groanin' during some of the stretches!

I also didn't get as sore after the second and third workouts as I did in the first one. In fact, I hardly got sore at all from the third one - I really only felt it in my "muffin top" area the next day. I do know that with any new workout I generally get really sore the first time and then don't notice as much soreness after that, so I don't think this is a new thing for me with the Fluidity workout. I am going to give this at least a full 12 weeks to see how it changes my body. I plan on doing the the beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts 12 times each to really give this a chance. We'll see!!!

By the way, I didn't do my Fluidity workout today because I cleaned the house for 2 straight hours and I'm allowing myself to believe that was enough of a workout for today!!!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 07:16

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I am so happy to see this thread. I just watched part of the infomercial....again. As with everything else that looks like a good idea...I thought I would hop on here and see if anyone else has tried it. Anyone stuck with it for more than a couple weeks? I would love to see some long term opinions.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 14:53

Kd: I tend to try something and then not give it enough time to see if it really works, so I'm going to really do it this time!!! It's great to have a place to come and be accountable to.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 04:51

BF:

Peach-

I totally understand what you mean. That is why I tend to research everything in advance before I allow myself to buy it now. I don't care what the people on the infomercial have to say about an item. I want to see what the people who bought it have to say.

My workout equipment tends to collect dust as well. The exercise videos look good on the shelf, but haven't had much use. I have a Total Gym and an XL Glider....in a one bedroom apartment. Needless to say...they both fold up very well for storage...and tend to stay that way.

I don't do New Year's resolutions, but I have set some goals for myself this year. I have done a good job of taking control of my diet. Now it's time to take control of my health. That means water intake, exercise, and vitamins. I do not enjoy any of these things, so it presents quite a challenge.

I have ordered the Lotte Berk box set of workout dvds. They should arrive soon. I have also ordered some yoga dvds. I hate cardio, and hate to sweat, so I figured these would be a good start.

Fluidity looked like a good idea as well. The price tag is so high that I decided to try the Lotte Berk to see if I enjoy that general style of exercise first. If I like it then I will give purchasing Fluidity further consideration. I think I will keep an eye on Craigs List and the classifieds to. Hopefully I can find a steal!

If one of you decide that you just don't use yours enough and are willing to ship it...let me know. I never mind buying used when the price is right!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 11:22

BF:

Hi all,

I just got my Fluidity Bar yesterday for my birthday. it wasn't as chap as I would have liked but I did get a discount ($200 even - no shipping, no tax, which is usually 13%). It's brand new, so I can't complain. I couldn't find anything on ebay or craig's list because no one is selling them in Canada. They're all over the place in the States so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding one. They're everywhere.

As for the workout, I haven't started yet (I have a belly ache from all the celebratory food I ate yesterday ). I did check out some of the DVD's. I'm definitely looking forward to this though. I own the Lotte Berk box set as well as the Bar Method set. I really grew to like Designer sculpting.

I have the same problem when it comes to using something long enough to see the results. I'm hoping this will be different. I can't see it not working. This style of exercise has been around for years!!

Anyway, enjoy! I'll keep checking back with reports on my Fluidity Bar and hopefully, we'll have something to chat about.

All the best to you...
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 17:51

BF:

Dang it!!! I have seen several people rave about the Bar Method exercise dvd's...so, of course, I went in search of them. Apparently they have stopped production. Just my luck. I have checked Amazon, Overstock, several dvd sales sites, and Ebay. The set of two is going for over $40.00 on Ebay!!!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 00:53

I did my fourth beginner Fluidity workout today. I did feel like I was somewhat stronger and better able to hang in there with most of the exercises. There are still some moves that I really struggle with! We'll see if my jeans start fitting more loosely soon. I hope!!!