Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-16, 20:14

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I find myself doing that, too, Tim. I'll start to feel empty, VS hungry, and know that I'll need to eat fairly soon.

A big difference from the I'm starving and need to eat NOW feeling on high carb, yes?

A big difference! I used to feel like I was going to eat everything in sight! Now I'm hungry, but still in my right mind.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 02:40

Plan: custom
Stats: 150/150/120 Male 170
BF:
Progress:

I noticed that I'm more calm... like, not sure how to explain it, but I feel like now it's harder to lose focus/get angry/etc.

I also don't need to sleep much now!, it's 1:00am and I'm still not super tired, when before 11:30 I was knocked out.

This changes are so weird... who would have thought...
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 03:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Clarity of thought, more energy, and a calmer mood are all common positive "side effects" of removing the crazy high and lows of a blood sugar roller coaster. Benefits have been shown in ADHD, depression and anxiety to reduce sugar and refined carbs. Your brain is now humming along on fat and ketones. Some of these early responses may feel exaggerated because they are so different from your "previous norm" but they are healthy and will become your new norm.
Some other benefits https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits
LC "cured" my life-long ezcema and the moderate arthritis felt for five years.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-04-16 at 04:01.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 04:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

On this low carb diet, especially the 5-6 gm carb I am eating in 1 meal, everything is under control. I don't feel like eating any junk food, and just about the only craving I have is for coffee. Also something I am noticing - I used to have situations where I get overbalanced and almost fall/stumble. Used to be a on-going fear cos I am a die hard biker. That seems to have gone away. I am not more focusses neccesarily, but I am calmer, I also have got some other issues in life out of the way. Entirely a bonus.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 06:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default Excellent question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger33
Everyone says that the more meals per day the better.. I googled but couldn't find much info about it, or studies.

Then.. that was a lie?.

Excellent question. My answer is - most likely it was a lie, unless you follow 1 specific loophole.

Here is my research and observation - There is some good intention behind it, but here is where it fails.

You eat a bunch during the day as snacks, you will nearly never be calorie deficient. Calorie deficient is the only reason you lose weight. But say you have great self control and are under the daily need.

Say you're 500 calories under your daily requirements. Now your body has to burn parts of itself. Here is the next issue. With constant eating, you will be triggering insulin. Insulin prevents your fat from getting burnt. That means with constant snacking you always have insulin, which means you'd be losing things other than fat. Muscle, organ tissue etc etc. AKA - Bad.

So you need to eat without triggering a insulin response in all your snacks. That means - it has to have no carbs, no protein, no other things that create a insulin response. AKA - fat mostly.

You've not got that much to lose, but if you only want to eat 1 meal a day - well, that's the diet I am on. I have 2-3 cups of coffee through the day with butter and MCT oil in it. Then 1 big dinner. The advantage of dinner over any other meal as my single meal is that I can be awake and active when I am non insulin-ed up. That IMHO promotes fat burning. Besides, I can save lots of time during the day by not worrying about food.

So yes, snack away, but all your snacks have to be nearly all fat. That is the caveat. If you're calorie deficient you'd lose weight, and if you're very low in carbs, you body stays in ketosis and keeps burning fat instead of carbs.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 10:39

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
I find myself doing that, too, Tim. I'll start to feel empty, VS hungry, and know that I'll need to eat fairly soon.

A big difference from the I'm starving and need to eat NOW feeling on high carb, yes?

Same here. I normally have lunch and dinner. No snacks. I am rarely very hungry between, but start having a feeling that I am ready to eat around meal times. During the week when I'm working, I go more by the clock due to meetings, etc., but on weekends, I usually eat each meal later.

Once your blood sugar swings are under control, you just aren't hungry. It's normal and good. You aren't starving. Your body is consuming your stored energy (ie. excess fat). Yay!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:

I have related question here - I have been in Induction for 45 days. And been in IF also for the last 18 days. And those IF days, I have barely broken 10gm carb on average, let alone 20. I have never exceeded 20 even on my Cici's days. I calculate those to be 15gm or so.

I never feel hungry. And I never feel full. I feel tired of eating, I feel jaw pain, I feel I am running late. Nothing informs me from my stomach to stop and walk away.

I feel thirsty all the time except when I am chugging coffee.
Obviously, I am chugging coffee. But I have run through over 60 oz today already. And I have a 90 min 1 way bus ride in 2 hours for an offsite work thing. So the last 2 hours I am limiting myself to 8oz. But I have downed 50oz before 11 am. And not unusual day today. Usually I clock in ~ 100 oz/day.

Is there something I have screwed up in my system ???

I have lost weight, have good energy and have a lot of positives on an ongoing basis, including register normal BP for the first time in 30 years.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 11:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

It took quite a while for my stomach to start telling me when I'd had enough food. Too many years of stuffing myself. So I weigh & measure food - not as much as I used to, but I'm not taking any chances.

I, too, drink a lot of coffee - & I've learned not to have those extra cups if I have to drive somewhere. While I live in the boonies where there aren't many stores or gas stations, there are still too many houses for me to duck behind a bush.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:

During the days of carbing out I had no problem getting the "full" feeling. Barely 3 months ago.
Maybe its tied to the carbs causing a spike of insulin which in turn causes some thing something and full feeling.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 13:30

Plan: custom
Stats: 150/150/120 Male 170
BF:
Progress:

Yeah thats true.. I'm not sure anymore when I should eat... it's strange...
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Stranger, watch for a feeling of "empty". Because, when you are used to ravenous hunger, actual hunger feels like not much.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 18:12
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

My rule of thumb: Take what a 'nutritionist' says and do the opposite; you should then be very close to the correct course.

Where they say "lean protein" I secure the fattest cuts of meat I can lay my hands on. Currently it's bacon (pork belly) trimmings deep fried in lard with some garlic cloves and a little LC catchup as a side --
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-16, 18:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger33
Yeah thats true.. I'm not sure anymore when I should eat... it's strange...
Sometimes I feel as if I don't need to eat all day. An ankle injury [a calf pronged UP and landed on my arch a week after a bike accident damaged the same foot] the chronic swelling has largely resolved on IF after 3 weeks, and it had gone on and on for many months before now?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-16, 12:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Totally agree!! I eat when hungry and actually feel full after eating for long periods of time!!!! Great feeling

Quote: