Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 16:35

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 126/114/105 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Reformed Bread Lover

Hi All,

Last year was life-changing. After getting my routine blood work, my doctor said I had elevated lipoprotein(a) levels and abnormal cardiac risk relative. The doctor said there wasn't anything I could do, because I seemed to be relatively healthy. I decided I needed to change my eating habits. Consequently, I read two books that forever changed the way I look at food.

Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman and How Not to Die by Dr. Greger. My husband and I decided to try the Eat to Live diet with my father-in-law, who was suffering from hypertension for decades. It was incredibly hard at first. I couldn't stop dreaming of bread, but our resolve was strong and we were in it together.

After just one month, my husband and I each lost 10 pounds and my father-in-law lost a whopping 20 pounds and stopped requiring both his hypertension medications! We were dumbfounded. How can food be so life-transforming?!

From then on, I was convinced.

So, here I am. Still low-carb and 10 pounds lighter. I want to lose another 5-10 pounds, but I think it'll take some time, so I hope to make new friends and get motivated!

Cheers,

Connie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 18:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Welcome, tastytime.

May I ask why you want to lose any more weight, at your height? A weight of 105 would put you into underweight territory, which is as unhealthy, in its own way, as being overweight.

At your current weight, you are close to the low end of the healthy range of BMI.

Now, granted, BMI isn't everything for everyone. But my guess is that your body is at the weight that's healthy for IT. That's what frequently happens when we change to this WOE, and stick to it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 21:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Give us an idea of what you might eat in a typical day. Congrats on ditching the bread, it seems to have given you and your family some relief!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 12:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Welcome, tastytime.

May I ask why you want to lose any more weight, at your height? A weight of 105 would put you into underweight territory, which is as unhealthy, in its own way, as being overweight.

At your current weight, you are close to the low end of the healthy range of BMI.

Now, granted, BMI isn't everything for everyone. But my guess is that your body is at the weight that's healthy for IT. That's what frequently happens when we change to this WOE, and stick to it.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think I did the height math wrong. I'm not used to entering in inches. Hopefully, I've managed to change my height correctly. While I am at a healthy weight + BMI and I'm quite happy where I am, I think it's more of a personal aesthetic reason to go down to 105. It's nice to have some buffer room.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 12:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Give us an idea of what you might eat in a typical day. Congrats on ditching the bread, it seems to have given you and your family some relief!

Well, every morning I have a 1 pound box of salad (mixed greens or other assortment). I blend this into a thick shake with some spices like turmeric and nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, etc.). I have that with a bowl of berries. This is my morning routine.

For the rest of the day, I eat when I'm hungry. I eat lots of fresh fruits and I cook beans with no oil, salt, or refined sugars. I'll also have steamed/blanched veggies with onions, mushrooms, and tofu on the side.

That's more or less what I eat in a nutshell!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 15:10

BF:

Sounds like good natural foods! Most here work on reducing the number of carbs they eat, even the "good ones" and add animal and nut/olive oil for the majority of calories. If you have feeling good and your way of eating is sustainable, good on you! I'll cheer you on

Experiment. I don't think there is one right answer that works for everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 20:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Sounds like good natural foods! Most here work on reducing the number of carbs they eat, even the "good ones" and add animal and nut/olive oil for the majority of calories. If you have feeling good and your way of eating is sustainable, good on you! I'll cheer you on

Experiment. I don't think there is one right answer that works for everyone.

Thanks, thud123! What do you eat in a typical day? Would love to learn what works for others!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 20:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastytime
Thanks, thud123! What do you eat in a typical day? Would love to learn what works for others!

Whew that's hard to say. If I eat 3 meals a day it will usually be like eating 3 dinners. I tend to stick to basic vegetables and different kinds of protein and fats. Since I don't know how to bake or use an oven well I stir fry stuff and also am learning to use an electric pressure cooker. That thing is good for making stuff that you can freeze and bring to lunch in single servings. I have a lot of fun experimenting with different ingredients but I try to always keep in mind the carbs in all of them, avoiding all Grains, Potatoes (and other starchy veg) and Sugars. Here's some random pictures of from about a month of eating stuff. I didn't take pictures of everything I eat but stuff that was new or looked cool so I could remember maybe how to do it again.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto141-168/

These pictures are also meant to show how much fun low carb cooking can be but probably not the greatest examples of what to eat day in and day out of you are following a strict plan, which is recommended and i agree with if you are interested in loosing weight fast. I am not, the weight comes of as it likes. that's where I'm at with my "plan"

Have fun!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 23:29

BF:

Thanks for sharing, thud123! Your photo feed is making me hungry!

I love using my pressure cooker. I have a stove top one and I use it to cook beans mostly. It works wonders and I can have a chili meal ready in 1 hour. How does the electric one work for you? Do you recommend a particular brand?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 05:47

BF:

I like the electric one but don't know if it's better than stove top, just different. It's called Instant Pot I think. Here's a thread I participated in with some good ideas by all:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471258