Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 14:28

Plan: CALP
Stats: 210/210/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Preparing and terrified

Hi Everyone,
My name is Bev and I'm getting myself ready to start the Atkins diet on the 1st of January. Im giving losing weight one last try and I'm scared to death that once again I will blow it and continue to live unhappily in a body weighed down with too much fat. I'm not really concretely sure HOW to begin even though Ive read the book cover to cover and then some. But I do want to say that I am really glad to have found this support group and hope I can eventually contribute as much as I know I'll gain from it. Today I wrote down my measurements and weight and took pictures....... YUCK!! I just keep going to the sites of success stories and saying alot of prayers. Thanks for being available to us beginners.
From and old dieter, hopefully new loser
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 14:44

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 209.9/206.6/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default YOU CAN DO IT!

You must tell yourself you can do it!

And you have definitely found the right place to come for support. You have to remember that this is not just a diet - it is a way of life - a way of eating - that may sound a little intimidating, but once you're doing it, you'll see that it's not difficult at all.

You're doing a good thing by taking your picture and measurements now - because you WILL see a difference in the not too distant future...

I have two suggestions for you - 1) start your own journal here - even now before you start induction - it's a great place to write down your thoughts - and when you come back later and re-read them, you may find you're being hard on yourself....start with the positive thinking! 2) start drinking water now! That's something you don't have to wait until induction to do - start by at least adding one or two more glasses to your day - then you'll be more in a habit by the time you're ready to start the real thing....

Most of all - take it easy on yourself - enjoy your holidays (but don't overindulge) and convince yourself that you have finally found what will work for you to get to your healthiest, happiest self! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Mindy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 137/122/115
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Starting

Hey good luck, I am starting too today. I bought the Protein Power book this morning. Hopefully it will keep me pumped! Eating all this protein is hard work!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 06:27

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Re: Preparing and terrified

Quote:
Originally posted by 1 Last Try
Im giving losing weight one last try and I'm scared to death that once again I will blow it and continue to live unhappily in a body weighed down with too much fat.

Reminds me of a story:

A 50 year old woman said "I can't start law school now!! It'll take 7 years!!! By the time I graduate I'll be 57 years old!!!"

The response "And how old will you be in 7 years if you don't do it?"

There is no such thing as "last chance" when we want to make changes in our lives.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 09:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I sympathize completely -- and I've done exactly what you've been doing. Reading a lot for motivation. There are a lot of success stories on the web: people with web sites charting their progress. There are a lot of success stories on this forum, too. There are people who've started hundreds of diets and launched into this one, determined. There are some who sail through from start to goal without a hiltch (and a lot of hard work) -- read Nat's Log!! -- and there are some of us who stumble around and make mistakes until we figure out how to do it.

But deep down, you know you have to do it, so please do it now. I see you've started a journal -- that's great. There are a lot of people here who will answer questions and give you a hand -- good luck to you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 12:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Hi Bev. I have faith in you. you CAN do it. You deserve this kindest of gifts for the New Year.

How to begin? On December 31, throw out everything carby in your house. (If you have a family, they can eat their carbs outside the house for just the year 2002. The only "harm" you'll do them by setting up a carb-free house is to make them healthier.) Run carb stuff down the garbage disposal, take it to a homeless shelter, tear it up and mix it with dirt from the garden....do not put it in the freezer!

Then go out January 1 and buy leafy green veggies, your favorite dense veggies, cheese, meat, eggs. Plan your meals. If you work outside the home, get up early to make yourself a good breakfast and pack a healthy lunch. Do not skimp on eating that fat this first two weeks--it'll satisfy your cravings. I'd avoid artificial sweeteners for the first couple weeks, too--just try and break the "sweet" habit entirely. It may be a little tough that first week, so stay busy.

The scale will reward you a lot at first. After that, use your support systems--post here, read on the web, check out other LC books from the library.

And most importantly, if you mess up at some point in March or June...do not think you've blown it and indeed this was your last chance! Learn instead to see mistakes as opportunities for learning. Get right back on the LC wagon as soon as you can after a mistake, forgive yourself entirely, and keep your eyes on the final goal of a lifetime free of cravings, free of binges, free of feeling a need to hide or wear matronly clothes! Don't greet another New Year unhappy with your body.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default welcome

Hi, just a quick welcome....I agree with everyone else...you can do this...we'll all be here to help you everyday.

Post often and let us know how you're doing.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 13:06

Plan: CALP
Stats: 210/210/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

I want to give each of you who has posted to me a most heartfelt of thank yous. Just knowing I'm not alone in all of this gives me a sense of determination and hope.
I am taking all the advise to heart..... after reading Mindyd's post I jumped right up and drank down the first full glass of water I've had in ages. As for tossing all the carbs, well I will have to find a way to be strong as both my other half and my elderly mother who I care for would toss ME out of the house if I did that. But I am going to try to keep the things that I need well stocked and readily available for those times I know the carbs will be beckoning to me in full force. I also got the "weight commander" as a means of motivation. I work 12 hour nights so it might be a bit more of a challenge but I am getting more and more optimistic with each word of encouragement from you all.
Again....... Thank you all so very much.
::runs off to check out Nat's log::

Last edited by 1 Last Try : Sat, Dec-22-01 at 13:18.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 12%

I want to thank Razzle for the fabulous advice. I am going to make my house carb-free on January 10 and begin my new life-time journey. (I have TONS of groceries stocked up right now and I take over our families finances the first paycheck of next year, which is the 10th, so that is why I am waiting to get started.)

Bev, I am in the same shoes you are in. If you read my introduction, I have even been considering weight-loss surgery if I can't get this under control by myself. I have to do it because the risks of surgery scare me so badly! I have 4 children and we are about to adopt 6 more, so I have to be here for them!

I really look forward to doing this together. I know this forum is going to mean my success. I hate to short myself like that, but I know coming here and having to account for myself, reading encouraging stories and getting support when I am struggling is going to make me stick to it! I hope it will help you as well!