Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 14:02

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Anybody in Norway?

Just checking to see if anyone on this forum is in Norway or Finland. I have some questions for you !!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 07:24

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Absolutely, I live near Oslo. What are your questions?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 08:29

BF:

Oh wow, Thank You!! I am Saami per my DNA (well & my soul & spirit) and I cannot eat grains. I am now seeing a lot of my Saami friends that have the same problems. Some of them have already been diagnosed with celiac. I am also working with some people in Norway & Finland to change their eating habits.

Do you know if the gluten problems are common there?
Are there very many people there that have cut out grains?
Are the restaurants accommodating in places like Oslo, Kautokeino, and other cities?
Are there other flours available there like sorghum? for people that are transitioning off of "bread".
Are sweet potatoes available there?
What are people's attitudes, in general, toward a person that does not eat bread?

Thanks so much!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 17:09

BF:

Is there a gluten free beer available there?
An alcoholic cider?

thanks
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 01:50

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Hi! I'm not Saami myself, just a regular Norwegian, including in language and culture, but I grew up fairly far north, in a city called Bodø, which a couple of years ago got a dual name in Saami on it's road signs, I think it's Båddoa or something like that. It's a bit above the arctic circle.

Anyway, I've been reading about first nations having problems with diseases of civilisation, i.e. they appear in one or two generations and devastate whole communities. It makes sense to me also that gluten problems would be part of that, as the traditionally milk-drinking European peoples still have the world's highest adult tolerance for milk proteins.

In my town (currently Oslo), I don't know that many people with celiac sprue, but I do know a couple of them. Many or most restaurants have a gluten free option, including pizza restaurants. One of my friends who definitely has the disorder got his own, delicious rolls at a conference we attended together once, they looked amazing, much better food than the rest of us were getting... He says his friends like to eat at his place because there are always really great baked products. So yes, definitely available. Most general stores have a gluten-free/other allergy section. That's also where they put the soy milk, tofu and egg-free egg beaters, but the main products are likely to be gluten-free as that's the main "allergy" in most people's consciousness.

I'm not sure how many people have cut out grains because of a disorder or sensitivity, but more and more of us are doing it due to LC. We're currently in the second wave of the low carb so-called "craze". As in, we already had a "craze", and now it's back, this time with even more discussion in the media. There may well be more celiacs or gluten sensitive people among Saami, and Oslo is statistically where most Saami people live, but obviously here they're fairly steeped in Norwegian culture, and it's harder to live traditionally. Or so I would assume.

Health food stores seem to stock more and more "new" kinds of grains lately, in the last few years. About five or ten years ago spelt made a breakthrough, and you can absolutely buy your own bag of grain, milled or not, and make whatever you want. They ARE more expensive, though. Anything they don't stock may be available on request. Sweet potatoes I know I've seen in stores especially the biggest super markets. Asian markets may have more kinds, I not sure, but I believe it's hard to get any kind of variety, mostly just one or maybe two kinds.

Attitudes toward any person who has a "strange"-seeming way of eating are mostly fairly positive. I ordered an omelet recently and told the cook "no bread", he asked why that was. Not to put me down, but when he heard it was carbs, not gluten, he added more salad on his own initiative! Sweet... One of my best friends is a vegetarian, and while she can't eat well everywhere, most restaurants have a section of their menu or can modify a dish. I think when the person you're talking to has been reading a lot in the popular media about low carb and has formed a strong adverse opinion, you're in for a debate. Vegans might have the same problem, as would any extreme regimen, like fruitarians, raw foodists or all-meat carnivores.

I don't know enough about Kautokeino, never having been there, so I can't really comment. I think availability of some products would be lower, but then in the Saami community up there, I bet there would be a lot of lovely reindeer meat, for one! Traditional foods would likely be more emphasized, and more accepted. I think so, anyway. Maybe I'll visit one day and be proved wrong.

Gluten free beers I'm not sure, but several kinds of cider, alcohol or not. Some even produced here, Liercider is lovely, just too carby for me. Imported ciders are easy to find, even in super markets. Any Vinmonopolet (the wine monopoly, the state liquour and wine store) can also help with that, including ordering them up for you, and send them in the mail (within Norway, obviously).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Equinox : Thu, Nov-10-11 at 01:57.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 23:25

BF:

Thank you so much that was very helpful!!!! Oddly a Saami lady just posted on a Saami genealogy facebook page that her family was from Bodo!!!! I am going to go back & double check that but I think that was the town... If it was I might be getting back to you with PM...

Contact me if you are ever interested in getting your DNA done at Family Tree DNA. There was just a big DNA event that they put on in Finland and I am getting some new members in the Saami DNA group. I have not contacted the DNA admin in Norway yet, but plan to do that this weekend.

Thanks again for all your information.

Yes, her family is from Bodo... Would you PM me with your family names - ya'll might be related...

Last edited by gfpaperdol : Thu, Nov-10-11 at 23:34.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 13:27

Plan: Zero carbs
Stats: 999/999/000 Male 5,11ft
BF:
Progress:

Det va da fan så mye Bodøværinga det va hær da...(translated(sort of): damn, there's a lot of people from Bodø here)

So far I've lost 40 kilos in a year on eating mostly porkbellies(grillskiva), currently 110 and a good weight for me would be slightly below 100(220 pounds).
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-11, 17:38

BF:

Hi MasterMake, OMG are you from Bodo also? Please PM me I would like to add you to my facebook page!!! & you also Equinox!!!

by the way, Equinox the information was very helpful to the person that I sent it to, thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-11, 13:35

Plan: Zero carbs
Stats: 999/999/000 Male 5,11ft
BF:
Progress:

Tried to PM all I got was "you do not have permission to access this page".....

Besides I don't really do facebook(only thing on my page is my name, and I'm only listed on one other facebook(one about legalizing bowhunting in Norway ) or myface.

If you were wondering, I'm not really doing paleo as much as I am carnivorous(toothy grin(this place really needs a few carnivorous smilies)) fwiw.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-11, 11:41

BF:

Hi Mastermake, I see there are still a few people that do not use facebook!!

oh there are some people on here that only eat meat and nothing else. I cannot remember what Margot's sign in name is, but she only eats meat and feeds her kids & husband the same. I think the kids have fruit occasionally.

I have to have my fruits & veggies. But no tomatoes and I eat a lot of kale and carrots. I recently got my hands on some wonderful no salt dried reindeer meat jerky. Oh my that stuff is wonderful, and I can tell that I was meant to eat reindeer meat. I am allergic to beef and a lot of other foods but reindeer meat I can handle with no problems. Also salmon, so the two main meats from the area of my ancestors are the two meats that I do best with. It is all in the DNA...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 13:55

Stats: 209/162/150 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

Im from Norway to! nermere bestemt Møre og romsdal
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 13:08

BF:

Welcome Marianne83!! Are you new to the Paleo way of eating?

Let me know if you are interested in getting your DNA done. I am the admin for the Saami DNA group with Family Tree DNA. Olav Mathis Eira, President of Saami Councils, is a member of our group.

Do you still live in Norway?
jeanne
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 13:09

BF:

Forgot to mention that almost all the Saami people cannot eat grains or dairy.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 13:24

Stats: 209/162/150 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
Welcome Marianne83!! Are you new to the Paleo way of eating?

thanks! Ive been on lowcarb/high fat since august 2011, and reasently switched to paleo/primal.

Quote:
Let me know if you are interested in getting your DNA done. I am the admin for the Saami DNA group with Family Tree DNA. Olav Mathis Eira, President of Saami Councils, is a member of our group.

Offcourse i would like to get my DNA done, even though i dunno what you mean in detalil..please explain I do werry poorely on grains(not seeds) and everything with milk in it. acne, ADHD symtoms, poor sleeping rythm ...psoreasis..etc

Quote:
Do you still live in Norway?
jeanne

Yes i do I live in the middle of norway, a place called møre og romsdal
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 15:12

BF:

Marianne, Here is the info on getting your DNA done.

You can get the maternal test for yourself. That will be the maternal DNA that is passed down from mother to daughter, from way back when...
That will be the same DNA for your mother's sisters & any daughters that they may have. It will be the same DNA for your sisters & any daughters that you and they might have.

To test your father's line, you would need a DNA test from your father, if he is still living or one of his sons, or one of his son's sons. Or you can also test one of your father's brothers.

The Family Finder test with Family Tree DNA will match you up to people that you are related to. Anything from people that have been adopted to lost 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th cousins. I love this test.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will send you a private message also.

here is the link: http://www.familytreedna.com/