Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Central Role of Nutrition in Everything

A speech by Dr Gary Fettke given at a CrossFit conference reveals a new source of long-standing nutrition "beliefs" ... religion. Although the Kellogg's Sanatorium is mentioned many histories of vegetarianism, Dr Fettke delves 50 years further back. His speech, full title: The Central Role of Nutrition in Our Health, Education, Economics, Politics, Environment and Beliefs and Marika Sboros's article based on it is being shared widely in the low carb, paleo world.

Video: The Central Role of Nutrition in Everything by Dr Gary Fettke
https://youtu.be/DWCQF-FFJYk

Medical Evangelism: A Hand Out for Bad Dietary Advice?
http://foodmed.net/2017/08/07/medic...st-diet-advice/

Quote:
If nutrition science proves anything these days, it is that Karl Marx was right. Religion really is the “opium of the people”. It is a reason that bad dietary advice has spread globally, says Australian orthopaedic surgeon Dr Gary Fettke. It’s why nutrition guidelines are increasingly vegetarian, or “plant-based” as some doctors and dietitians now call it. That distances them from overtly religious associations with vegetarian diets. That’s despite robust evidence on health risks of vegetarian and plant-based diets, says Fettke.

Fettke was a keynote speaker at the CrossFit Health Conference in Madison, Wisconsin on August 2, 2017. The title of his talk: The Central Role of Nutrition in Our Health, Education, Economics, Politics, Environment and Beliefs.

It was seismic scientifically and ethically.

In the first of a two-part series, Fettke raises a taboo in nutrition science: Big Religion. He shines a light on its right arm: medical evangelism.

Fettke gave evidence to show that religious ideology informs and influences official dietary guidelines worldwide. It explains why nutrition science is the only science that many researchers don’t view through an evolutionary lens, he said. It also explains why financial and other conflicts of interest are rife in nutrition science.

The consequences for health, economies and the environment have been disastrous, he said. Fettke identified a church that believes in divinely ordained “medical evangelism”. It is the Seventh-day Adventist Church that began in the US in 1863. Its members are mostly vegetarians or vegans.

Despite being relatively young, it is one of the world’s fastest growing churches. It is also one of the most influential groups in the world on nutrition education and policy. The church has spawned doctors, dietitians and scientists who perform medical evangelism. They do so without declaring their religious beliefs as COIs. Therefore, they have made their beliefs into propaganda about diet and health across the planet, Fettke said. And where is the best place to hide propaganda? “In plain sight,” Fettke said.....

Much more follows at link.

Published August 7, 2017. Part two of Sboros's article not yet published.
Entire speech as a recorded copy with slides linked above.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-08-17 at 04:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 04:37

One surprising quote on the church's business model employed around the world. I was certainly clueless about its size and global reach.

Quote:
From the outset, Adventists established close links with processed food industries, particularly the sugar, grain and cereal industry and refined food industry, Fettke said.

In the US, Seventh-day Adventists established around 100 cereal-based processed food companies. Many of them merged. Kellogg’s is the most well-known and ranked among the world’s wealthiest food producers.

White came to Australia between 1889 and 1900 to set up the Seventh-day Adventist church, hospital, publishing house, school and university. She also founded the church’s own cereal company, producer of Australia’s “most trusted breakfast cereal”.

“It remains one of Australia and New Zealand’s biggest and most trusted companies,” Fettke said.

Despite the benign-sounding name, Sanitarium Health and Wellbeing is a misnomer. Its highly refined, processed products compare badly with fresh, naturally nutrient-dense foods of animal origin.

Its flagship product is Weet-Bix, a top-seller in the breakfast cereal market. Cereal- and grain-based dietary guidelines have “done their business model no harm”, Fettke pointed out.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church also has the advantage of not paying taxes as a religious organisation.

Thus, through its business model, the church has “deep pockets” to pursue its nutrition beliefs, Fettke said.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 06:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

To be fair, the companies have gone far from their roots, I don't agree with even the roots of this nutritiional philosophy, but they really didn't see Sugar Crisp or Frankenberry as the future in those days. Sylvester Graham was said to have hoped that his cracker would help put an end to masturbation, instead it wound up in S'mores and as the crust for cheesecake.

Actual Seventh day Adventists who adhere to some degree of vegetarianism do seem to do all right, studies on them are used by advocates of a vegetarian diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 06:45

BF:

Okay, according to Snopes, the cracker was named for Graham because it used the joyless flour he developed. So it was basically a cookie from day one.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 09:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Actual Seventh day Adventists who adhere to some degree of vegetarianism do seem to do all right, studies on them are used by advocates of a vegetarian diet.

But they also don't drink alcohol or smoke.

A couple of SDAs have staked out the corner near the library with a literature rack. I've just been ignoring them (unless they say hello first), but I got to wondering if I should tell them I could never convert because I won't give up meat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 12:48

Fettke claims those studies of Adventists proving their health is suspect...and as Bonnie mentioned...they don't drink or smoke either, which would be a major confounder.

Quote:
Adventist Dr Harry Miller, for example, was consulting physician to three US presidents. In 1953, Miller established a nutrition research facility to “prove (White”s) visions”. To emphasise the point, he wrote that “scientific research will support and not contradict”.

White was also largely responsible for bringing soy back to the US, Fettke said. “That’s a lot of polyunsaturated oil over time.”

Vegetarian groups regularly quote Adventist health studies in support of their cause, he said. Adventists do these studies on themselves, often publish in their own press and cross-reference off each other.

Fettke hasn’t read all Adventist studies. Of those he has, he hasn’t seen any declaration of ideological or religious conflict of interest.

He is, therefore, unambiguous about nutritional research to “prove a vision”. “It’s criminal,” Fettke said.

Graham's vegetarianism and others in the US pre-date the SDA, but apparently not many could eat his unrefined flour. It wasn't until Nabisco got the rights and added Honey that it became edible.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 13:16

BF:

That's interesting if the studies on Adventists were Adventist-run studies. I'm sort of okay with the not smoking bit though, I suspect a lot of programs wouldn't work as well if people smoked.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 21:45

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) discourages smoking and drinking. I've heard claims that places where a lot of members live like near church headquarters in Utah tend statistically to be healthier than average, and that certainly seems to me like it could be a reason why. Especially since dietary choices like whether to eat meat, whole or processed foods, etc. are up to individual preference so people eat lots of different ways.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 03:49

Zei, and the Fasting too may benefit health? It may be only one day a month but added to no smoking and drinking, LDS members have healthy habits beyond the choice to eat meat.

PART TWO:
http://foodmed.net/2017/08/09/lifes...n-war-red-meat/

LIFESTYLE MEDICINE: FRONT IN BIG RELIGION’S WAR ON RED MEAT?

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-09-17 at 04:22.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 06:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Clearly, many cases of selection bias with a vengeance. And . . . if you're not a member of the LDS, you shun meat to protect the animals. While these claims by Fettke are a revelation to me, it's also fascinating and explains a lot. The corruption of science is pervasive, and it takes a special type of individual to perform the truly unbiased work required to achieve knowledge. Today, every "finding" must be questioned based on the possible hidden agendas driving the research.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 07:42

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Zei, and the Fasting too may benefit health? It may be only one day a month but added to no smoking and drinking, LDS members have healthy habits beyond the choice to eat meat.

PART TWO:
http://foodmed.net/2017/08/09/lifes...n-war-red-meat/

LIFESTYLE MEDICINE: FRONT IN BIG RELIGION’S WAR ON RED MEAT?

I've wondered if the fasting does have an effect at that frequency. I do participate but also do lots of things for health so don't know what causes what. I used to be vegetarian because I thought I was doing my health a big favor, believed all the stuff about evil saturated fat/meat, etc., finally discovered low carb and ironically dropped vegetarianism and returned to meat for my real health. I had no idea all this was behind the anti-meat messages I heard back then from such seemingly reputable big name health oganizations whose advice I now know not to follow.