Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Bulletproof coffee, cardio and fat loss

In an effort to lose the bit of fat that stubbornly hangs around my waist, I've started doing cardio in the a.m. (~2 miles of walking/running), some weight training every other evening after dinner, and increased fat /reduced daily caloric intake a bit.

My primary question is about the BPC I have in the morning. I currently have a cup before I do my cardio, believing I'll still burn my fat stores in spite of the fat intake, but I think I may be wrong. For fat burning purposes, is it better to do cardio after my BPC or should I only have a cup after I've completed my workout? (Or just eliminate it completely?)

I should note that I also eat breakfast after cardio.....a couple of eggs and some bacon.....but now am thinking of skipping that, just do the BPC in the a.m., and eat a bit more at lunch. That would essentially be a 16 hour IF (7 pm to 11 am) with just the BPC in between. Thoughts or comments about the BPC/cardio or my overall routine? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 00:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

For me, I'd do the BPC first and eat after the workout. I just know myself...I get hungrier after a workout and it's better to ward off a bad food choice by preventing hunger. But that's just me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 10:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You might enjoy reading the Bulletproof Diet book by Dave Asprey', released last week. Our library bought it; he has many many suggestions to answer your questions. Some are without any studies to reference, more they are what he thinks his Biohacking for himself "proves" for the general population.
To "stack mTor suppression" he has only BPC for breakfast plus two meals in a six hour window. Has BPC when he wakes for breakfast (no food), waits to the end of his fast to exercise, after exercise has the first of his two meals in a six hour window, adds starch carbs with the dinner. He has a list of five best compound exercises, some brief intense cardio, and recommends some other exercise books, inc. Body by Science by Doug McGuff.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Dec-15-14 at 17:55.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 01:33
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the responses. Today I went ahead and changed things up a little. I had a black coffee prior to my morning run, then had a BPC afterward to tide me over until lunch. I didn't start to get hungry until the tail end of the 16 hour fast. I then ate my normal lunch supplemented with a bit more protein and fat. Ate dinner 7 hours later without feeling the need to snack in between. Things went smoother than I thought they would. I'll keep doing this the rest of the week to see if its sustainable.

Janet, I might have to check that book out. Thanks for the tip.