Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 23:38

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 142/140/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I need pre-cheat help!

I'm going home to my parents this weekend. Every other time I'v been home, I eat whatever I want. 1. because I consider it vacation and 2. because I know they disaprove of dieting Most of the weekend I can just cook for myself, no problem. However, I am really worried my Dad will do a nostalgic sentimental pancake or cinnimon bun breakfast. I know he will be hurt if I refuse. Should I just eat half of one, to show I appreciate it? How do I refuse without hurting his feelings or saying I can't because I'm on a diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 01:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow. I am in your boat EXACTLY. My mom would freak if she knew I was "dieting." To her, you don't need to lose weight unless its doctor's orders. In my case, it was my own order to lose the freshman 15...errr...25. So the first 2 times that I went home for the weekend since lcing, I would end up cheating. Maybe it was just to avoid the taboo subject of "low carb" (as my mother would say) altogether. Maybe it was those nostaligic treats...reminders of being at home = comfort = comfort food. Well standing in front of the open fridge at 2am digging through a tub of cookie dough was my low point. I don't really know why, but after that I havent had any problems being at home. Its not worth it to screw up your hard work. Plus ive found there's lots of ways to eat unsuspicously without mom raising an eye. We can still eat TONS of "normal" food. So if im home and eat eggs, salads, and meats no one really notices anything. Now that I'm on maintenance I kindve allow myself to be slightly less concerned with lcing (like not worrying about marinade for the steak, etc..) and that leeway has really prevented me from even thinking about cheating. I've been home cheat free quite a bit since then. hope that helped! good luck!

In otherwords, do not eat the cinnamon roll!! Tell dad that your tastes have matured and you don't want to eat that sugary kid crap anymore. then offer to make omlets or something.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 01:47
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Oh my goodness gracious, just tell them you are an adult with decisions you can make on your own without needing there approval and that you are trying to improve your health and want them to support you whether they agree or not because they love you.

Simple as that.

If they don't like it then tell them, I'm sorry you disapprove but I'm grown now and this is how I'm running MY LIFE. Then make your own breakfast. You don't have to eat what they put out in front of you. YOU take control over the situation.

Otherwise, the weight you want to lose, isn't gonna come off.

You can show them your appreciation by being respectful and saying thanks but no thanks and send them some flowers.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 07:28
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
How do I refuse without hurting his feelings or saying I can't because I'm on a diet?

You say just that. *I'm sorry Dad, I'm not eating the pancakes today because I'm trying to improve my health. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, you KNOW I love them, I just need to do this for me.*

I totally echo what Lily said above too, if you don't take control, you are not going to lose the weight.

Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 09:01

BF:
Smile

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I can certainly eat lots of eggs while at home and my family eats alot of meat too. I like your response, 4beans4me, I could say that I'm trying to improve my health instead of that I'm on a diet. That's more accurate anyways! Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 21:15

BF:
Thumbs up

By the way, that weekend went great! My Dad DID make pancakes, but I made some LC flax muffins and had them instead! In fact, instead of telling him I was low-carbing, I said I was trying to eat healthy and that sugary breakfasts make me tired in the afternoon anyways. He agreed! (still ate the pancakes though) and last time I talked to him he switched to whole wheat bread and replaced chocolate sprinkles (a kinda weird things for a grown man to take to work anyways) for meat and cheese on his sandwiches. (yeah, not really LC, but still healthier than before!).

Also I talked to my grandma on the phone today (she would not approve of my LCing if she knew - she's a pyramid woman) and she said she noticed that I'v lost weight and seemed concerned about my eating habits. She then mensioned that she had to take her flax/bran muffins out of the oven. I make those muffins (minus the whole wheat flour and raisons) all the time and when I told her she seemed very relieved. I suppose anyone who eats flax and bran are healthy in her eyes! lol