Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 08:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/203.2/147 Female 65 inches
BF:Yes, it is. :-(
Progress: 31%
Unhappy Sometimes I am so disgusted with myself...

I have been doing well on Atkins. I lost 93 lbs five years ago but gained back a lot of it and decided to finally get my butt back in gear. So far have lost about 20lbs and I THOUGHT I was happy about it. So, can someone please tell me why I just ate 2 eggs (ok ) and 2 slices of turkey bacon (ok ) on a WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUN (not ok!!! )??! I am so pissed at myself right now. Everytime I start to make a little bit of progress I take a flying leap off the wagon for no good reason. And with all things... a freakin whole wheat hambuger bun? It wasn't even like I got tempted by something amazingly delicious. 23 carbs worth of mediocrity. How do I stop effing up?? I really do want to succeed. I'm tired of looking and feeling like a failure.

Last edited by Anunadi : Mon, Dec-14-09 at 14:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 08:31

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:

One thing I have found that helps me after I cheat is to realize just because I had 1 cheat, does not mean I have to follow it up by another and another and another. Forgive yourself and move on, get back on plan.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 08:46
macabrem

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
One thing I have found that helps me after I cheat is to realize just because I had 1 cheat, does not mean I have to follow it up by another and another and another. Forgive yourself and move on, get back on plan.

I agree. I used to figure that if I cheated, I might as well have more, or cheat with something I REALLY want after my initial cheat. That only leads to the worst downward spiral.

Focus on the foods you can eat, not what you can't. Look at your diet in the most positive light. Keep focused on how much you have lost, and how wonderful you feel eating low-carb.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:07

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit

I've done almost the same thing with stupid carby stuff like pretzels, which I don't even like that much. Makes me want to hit my head on the wall ! Who knows how the mind works or why we do these things?

Well just get back on plan ASAP and you minimize the damage. Don't do what I used to do at first, which is say Oh well, my diet's ruined for the day and then proceed to REALLY ruin it with more carbs. That just made it harder to get back on plan later. Forgive yourself and forget your lapse.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:17

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've never[I] met anyone who has never cheated on a diet/food plan !
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:28

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

Instead of beating yourself up, we all do it and it may be a developed response from repeated failures to control the weight, look for the why. Was it a certain situation, some emotional situation, a place you are, the people. Once you figure out your triggers it will be easier to guard against the next situation. Hang in there and reload, if your posting your working on it and you can't beat that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:32

Plan: Atkins: Induction
Stats: 365/228/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

LOL been there, done that! Trust me I know. I always want to give myself a swift kick in the ass when I do it too. Key is, put it behind you and keep on going!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 09:37
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Success does not = perfection.

It means learning what does and does not work with your body.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned, another "notch in the belt" and move forward.

Just remember that when you fall, get back up.

I've had so many stops and starts to this, until one time, you take a running leap at it and it finally sticks. And even now and again, I take a foot off the proverbial wagon.

best wishes to you!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_man
Was it a certain situation, some emotional situation, a place you are, the people. Once you figure out your triggers it will be easier to guard against the next situation.

I think you may be on to something. More and more people at work have started to notice the weight loss and make comments. I think I may have "picked up" (lol! I really do sound like an addict. ) because I am still not comfortable with the attention. My ex, with whom I work, has also started to express interest in me again. I would feel flattered except for that fact that I know he doesn't love me. He's just physically attracted to what he sees right now and just wants to Lol! . I guess that must have been my trigger today. I did try to do better later on in the day, though. I had a grilled chicken salad for lunch and a couple of S.F. mini brownies. (I know I shouldn't have had those, but honestly, I felt less guilty about them than about the stupid hamburger bun. ) Tonight's plan: An Unjury protein shake for dinner and then straight to bed early so I don't eff up anymore today. Tomorrow I will be on my best behavior... I hope.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 16:31

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian

I agree with this. When I end up cheating, I then get very angry and end up giving into yet more cheats! and go TOTALLY overboard. If I can just get over the cheat and not continue to binge I'm sure it would be much better.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 16:52

Stats: 425/252/199 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have my old army field jacket hanging in the hallway. Everytime I see it, it becomes an instant reminder of why I am on a diet in the first place...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 18:18

Okay... I just got home from work and stopped at the market. I bought cheese, pepperoni, SF Jello, SF Coolwhip, Almond milk and plain Fage yogurt. Time to plot a plan of action for tomorrow! Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Btw, I just tasted the Fage which I bought on recommendation of a low carb segment I saw on the news this past weekend. Turns out its not "naturally sweet" like the reporter said. Oh well... time to search for recipes to make it taste yummy. Lol!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Stop trying to make food "sweet" or "yummy." If you eat fatty meat until you are satisfied, you will get your insulin under control. If you continually seek the "party in my mouth" feeling, you will never stop craving.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 04:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Then stop. Listen to yourself. You know the right things to do. Why are you choosing to sabotage yourself? We all make choices every time we are confronted with food. Like an alcoholic has to choose each day to live his or her sobriety, you have to choose yours as well. The difference is your addictions are socially acceptable and therefore you have others telling you it's okay to endulge. You have to take control of your own "sobriety". Do you own your life? Does food own you? Just some thoughts to "chew on".
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-09, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
Stop trying to make food "sweet" or "yummy." If you eat fatty meat until you are satisfied, you will get your insulin under control. If you continually seek the "party in my mouth" feeling, you will never stop craving.

Lol ~"party in my mouth" I hear what you're saying, though. I don't need for it to be sweet though, I just need for it to be tasty. I bought it because I thought I would be tastier than regular yogurt. It just so happens that the reporter said it was sweet. If I could find a way to make it savory like something for me to dip my celery in, that would be cool too. I just need a way to mask that "yogurty" after-taste. I think I'm gonna try this one...

SAVORY YOGURT DIP
1 packet Instant Onion Broth and Seasoning
1 c. plain yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp. dried chopped chives
1 1/2 tbsp. dried parsley
Combine all ingredients, mix well.
Serve as a dip with raw vegetables, or use as a dressing for vegetable salads.

I usually have a whole rotisserie chicken stashed in the fridge to gnosh on at home. (I love that I can eat the skin ) and I eat salads with some kind of protein when I'm out. My main issue seems to be my job. I snack on things I'm allowed to have at home, but at my job I am always having to talk myself out of eating something I know I'm not supposed to have. I have a ways to go in this journey, I know. But I'm not giving up!