Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 18:24

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

If you find a good/nice butcher, they will make some for you to your requirements. My old butcher would make them in 10kg lots (so you need a big freezer).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default what does Gluten Free really mean?

I asked my butcher what is actually in the Gluten free ones and he says they have rice flour in them, so they're just replacing one floue for another.

To me Gluten free is not for us LCer but for people with wheat alergies. And I'm sure the sugar content is still the same. We really need to still be aware of the carb content.

Has anyone tried the Don's Kranskys with Cheese? Yum. And the carb content is <0.0. I've only found them in Coles so far. Give them a go.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own - Atkins based
Stats: 97/89/72 Male 174
BF:
Progress:

My Fiance says they are available in Foodland and possibly BiLo (South Oz)
And also with Onion
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 20:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

If you have a look at the "gourmet" sausages in Woolies and I think Coles, they come with a food label these days listing the ingredients and carbs/protein/fat etc. Carbs tend to be about 2 - 3 g per 100g from memory which is ok for most people, but whether you eat them or not may have more to do with how you feel about the additives they use such as soy protein.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 00:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

We had a butcher shop for years and the meal that all butchers put in their sausages (wether good quality butchers or not) contain fillers
eg maybe rice wheat or some sort of grain, which do contain carbs.
This is taken from a label of such a meal for beef sausages.

Beef extra body (meal)
Ingredients Rice flour, wheat flour, salt mineral salts (451 ,450)
Preservative (223) Spices,Spice extracts, Hydrolysed vegetable protein, flavours
Caution: Contains not more than 1.15 of the preservative sodium metabisulphite
Contains Wheat gluten soy sulphite.
The directions for this are
beef and beef fat 37.5k
Beef extra body (meal) 4.5k
iced water 8kg
total of mixture is 50k
As you can see is about 7.6% of the total sausage. Quite an amount really.

Of course there are certain types of sausages that are lower in carb counts then others.

We now make our own sausages with just meat (beef goat pork chicken) with herbs and spices. They turn out quite nice.
I did a serch on the internet and found some recipes for sausages and smoke sausage and that is what we now use.
Hope this helps
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 23:47

Plan: gluten-free
Stats: 230/221/225 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Gluten Free Sausages

Hello from Las Vegas,

I am a celiac as well.

Soem gluten-free sausages that I know of are:

Hormel Little Sizzlers - check out their website, click on FAQ and then gluten-free -- there is a bunch of info.

Also, I beleive Jimmy Dean is also GF -- you may want to check out their website.

Hope this helps!!

GF in LV
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 20:41

Plan: Atkins, KISS
Stats: 235/200/183 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Gluten free sausages are made with rice instead.

'Gluten free' sausages are made for people with Coeliac disease, which is an alergy to wheat protein (Gluten).

See my post at:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=122862&page=1

Gluten free sausages are made with rice flour in place of gluten. I suspect this is not low carb, but cannot be sure of the typical count per sausage.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 19:19

Plan: Eat Fat Get Thin
Stats: 324/280/140 Female 5ft 6inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi fellow sausage lovers

We love sausages in this house so we make our own. They are SO easy to do and the taste is quite superior and no junk filling... I'd recommend it. In an hour or so you can make several dozen sausages and freeze them and they're ready when you want.
I have a mincer and sausage maker attachment for my Kenwood mixer but a blender or processor and a wide mouthed funnel (approx. 2cm) will suffice for starters.
Soak some sausage skins (casings) in cold water with a tbsp vinegar for at least 30 mins. - be warned... they pong! Your butcher should be able to sell you some sausage skins - we prefer the large ones as they're not synthetic.

Buy a kilo of cheap fatty meat (beef, pork or lamb). Approx 100g hard fat (eg from around the kidneys). You can increase this or decease according to your comfort around eating fat or taste. Chop meat and fat into 2 cm chunks and put thru the blender until minced but still chunky. Add an egg or two, salt and pepper, and any herbs or spices you fancy eg sage, mace, ginger, thyme. Mix well.At this point you can try cooking up a teaspoonful in a frying pan and tasting for final adjustments of salt, herbs and spices.
Slide soaked sausage skin over funnel nozzle until the last few cm which you then need to tie using a double knot. The trickiest part is forcing the meat through the funnel nozzle and into the casing. You'll need a piece of dowell or something slightly smaller to push the mix through. When finished tie off the last sausage with a double knot. Carefully twist to create links. NEVER cook sausages on a high temperature - medium only then they won't burst.
Chicken and thyme sausages are delicious too. Also Pork with apple bacon and sage..we had them for dinner yesterday! Brrrp...oohh 'scuse me!
We're also about to have a go at doing smoked sausages and also salami.

Tootles