Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:07

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Any of the other regulars at your gym would lend a hand I am sure.

I just look for another guy who looks like he could handle the same weight, catch him between sets, and ask.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:37
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Cool, thanks Dan.... I never thought that someone could spot squats, but the bear hug type thing makes sense (if a little scary!)

I've never used the smith machine, and as you say it doesn't do for proper squatting.

I'll probably do as Chipperoo said and try dumping a light weight a couple of times in the rack to reassure myself, and consider spotting when I'm going for new targets etc.

Thanks
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 09:31

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Built, or anyone,

All I have is a bench, bar, and 2 dumbbells. What can I do to replace this:

seated leg extensions (quads) 3 sets of 8-10 http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...gExtension.html

EDIT: and this:

lying leg curls (hamstrings) 3 sets of 8-10 http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...ingLegCurl.html
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

you can hold the dumbell between your feet for both, sit on the end of the bench to do leg extensions,and lie down to do leg curls...not sure how heavy your dumbells are.

You can also place the bar across your feet for the leg extensions, I have not tried this one just seen pics, thebalance thing might be tricky.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 09:38

Plan: atkins (veggie)
Stats: 154/148/128 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default nc

what part of nc do you live in?
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 09:46

BF:

Thanks, Liftnlady.

How about stretches? Anyone have a set routine for stretches?
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 01:48
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Liftn - I would NEVER have thought of this! You're brilliant!

I suck at stretching. I just do the few I've always done. I think I need to get a stretching video or take a class or something.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 08:17

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
you can hold the dumbell between your feet for both, sit on the end of the bench to do leg extensions,and lie down to do leg curls...not sure how heavy your dumbells are.

You can also place the bar across your feet for the leg extensions, I have not tried this one just seen pics, thebalance thing might be tricky.

Hi! I've posted on this thread awhile back w/ some questions, but do check on here often to see if anyone else's questions might be something I could use also.

I've done the lying leg curls w/ the DB - it's a bit awkward trying to get it into position betwen the feet but, boy, can you really FEEL it! I've been wondering about how to do leg extensions w/ DB's....Thanks for asking the question for me, Adukart!

Ellen
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 08:24

BF:

I didn't see this part till last night, but is there also something to replace these?

incline dumbbell press (squeeze chest at top) 3 sets of 8-10 http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...BenchPress.html

standing tricep cable pull-downs, using rope 3 sets of 8-10 keep elbows glued to your sides, hold the rope ends, push straight down, then back up to 90 degrees. Your hands end up at your sides because the rope will open up and let you.

Last edited by adukart : Thu, Jun-10-04 at 08:58.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:00

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

ellen4621, to do an extention you would need to tie the DB to your leg, which I wouldn't recommend. Some sort of a squat should hit the quads. A normal squat or sumo squat (legs out farther than a normal squat, stand like a sumo wrestler though not as far out, this will help hit the inner leg as well as hit the glutes, well at least it did for me) works the quads. You could also do a lunge with DBs.

adukart, what do you mean replace them? Do you mean with DBs only? Or ???
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:05

ellen4621, ah, I read farther into the thread. To do extentions just sit on the edge of the bench so that your lower legs are just off the edge, lean back and grip the sides of the bench with your hands, with the weight between your feet lift up extending your lower legs up.
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:07

BF:

mle, I only have a bench a bar and two dumbbells. By replace I mean what can I do to exercise the targeted muscles in those examples, with what I have.

Built did answer this in my gym log though so I think I am set.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:14

adukart,

She probably gave you the answers, but for others.
Not sure what to replace the incline bench press with if you don't have an adjustable bench. I'll have to take a look what Built said.

For the triceps there are a few things you can do:
1) Tri extentions. Either sit down on the bench or stand up. Extend your arm such that it is strait up in the air and at the side of your head, using your other arm support the other near the elbow, now bring the weight down back behind you keeping your upper arm at the side of your head, your other arm should be keeping it there, once the weight is behind your head then lift it back up. repeat.

Or Tri kick back. Kneel on a bench with your left leg put your left arm in front of you and lean over. With the weight in your right arm hold your arm to your side with the weight hanging down, now bring the weight back extending your lower arm, then bring it back down.

Or finally you could do a tri extension similar to the first by lying on the bench extending your arm straight up, and lowering the weight back towards your head, keeping your upper arm pointing straight up.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:22

BF:

Yeah, always thinking about myself j/k

For others here is what built put in my gym log:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart

incline dumbbell press (squeeze chest at top) 3 sets of 8-10 http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...BenchPress.html

Not sure what to do instead of this one but will find out.</I>
</FONT>

Just do 'em on a flat bench. You'll be fine.

Quote:

TRICEPS
standing tricep cable pull-downs, using rope 3 sets of 8-10 keep elbows glued to your sides, hold the rope ends, push straight down, then back up to 90 degrees. Your hands end up at your sides because the rope will open up and let you.

Not sure what to do instead of this one but will find out.

Try kickbacks instead
or skullcrushers
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

Quote:
I didn't see this part till last night, but is there also something to replace these?

you could also try push ups off the bench, that will put you at a slight incline

another good one is weighted bench dips, just place the weight across your lap as you do the dips