Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-14, 08:52

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%
Talking Buddies Needed: Only 100+ Turtles Need Apply

Yep... I'm going to discriminate. I'll tell you why.

I'm serious about losing it this time, over a long period of time if needed. Even full on, no cheating, in ketosis continually, resisting all forms of temptations... I only lose 2-3 pounds a month.

Third times a charm right!?!

I know my weaknesses. One is getting discouraged by those kind hearted souls that are seriously trying to help, but whose stats show they only needed to lose 30 lbs, and have been at goal for years. I'm sorry to those of you that fit that bill, but I have an extremely hard time believing that you can truly sympathize with my plight. I have been 30 pounds overweight in high school and lost it, then got ill and a bad climb started. Have you been 100+ with metabolic issues and have an extremely hard time taking it off? If not, we may not make good buddies.

Another weakness is a need to vent, just whine, like a little baby, a couple times a month. I am trying to avoid complaining to my immediate family, and except for a few dear friends (none of whom is overweight....), and no one else knows I'm trying to dump the equivalent of a human being. I would love to be able to dump my frustrations to someone, and they could dump on me in return.

Third weakness... I can't eat animal fat - except in normal marbled cuts. Seriously gags me. Adding fats is important, and I struggle to get past the texture. It would be great to talk to someone about it, and share ideas on how to up the intake without chewing a big hunk of fat regularly, as I've heard others do.

So.... in short.... would love to buddy up with someone(s) that need a shoulder to whine on, are fighting the hard fight over a long period of time, and want to compare notes.

I'm a Type II, PCOS, Psoriasis suffering, homeschooling mother (in my last few semesters), facing an empty nest and mid-life crisis.

Sounds like fun right!?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 14:45

BF:

Still on plateau, and still looking for a buddy or two. Not sure how many that need to lose 100+ are actively looking for a sounding board and support on a daily basis. I did notice not as many people use the website as in years past.

If you are out there... raise your hand!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 15:22

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Not sure if I count since I am more than 60% there now? I have been at this since Jan 2012.

But I started out at 100+ to lose, metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetic, dislike eating meat, a ton of allergies and food issues that make this diet tough - and yet I stick it out anyhow, without cheating, without sweets or desserts. Eating the same thing every day, most of the time.

There are many days I just want to whine, about how I don't cheat but the scale climbs anyhow. Or about how I can't have cheese or mayonnaise, or the scale climbs. Oh, and I can't IMAGINE trying to eat a chunk of fat!! Yuck!

I was also a home schooling mom, my youngest never went to school, and is out in the working world now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 09:39

BF:

CWatt... glad to meet ya!

You absolutely count! Congrats on your 60% of goal!

My oldest is now in his career, and it just feels weird. Bought his first car yesterday, with almost 2/3 down. How can it be that my little blonde baby is a responsible adult???

Love to chat with you about what foods that you find thwart your efforts. I don't have any allergies that I know of, but even eating VLC for nine months, I'm still only losing at 3lbs monthly average. I still haven't added any fake breads or desserts past cream cheese and heavy cream. Seriously considering it though.

I am going to say, that your goal weight is impressive. I'm too scared to even contemplate that weight at this point. I can't even remember being 145, as I was 16 and got sick soon after that. Never been that weight again. If I were to undertake that, it would mean 143 lb loss. That's an entire person...

I totally respect the dedication.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 10:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I don't fit your entire bill, but feel free to complain to me about PCOS and psoriasis - I am plagued by both!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 10:52

BF:

Lucky... your stats show that you want to lose 100. I think that counts!

I had a hyster in 2007, kept my ovaries, no meds. The only residual effects I have to fight are the metabolic issues and hirsuitism. Laser surgery is awesome!

Psoriasis is the newest issue, after treating what they were telling me was eczema for years with no improvement. Since eliminating grains, that has improved a lot. Still have issues with scalp and ears, but at least my elbows aren't raw anymore.

Looking forward to talking with you more in the future.

Excellent progress on your goals! We are almost opposite ends of the spectrum right now.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 14:55

BF:

Thanks! When I was 18 years old, I only weighed 118 lbs, that would have been a 128 lb loss for me, but I just can't imagine getting that thin.

I average about 15g carbs/day, and lately I feel lucky to lose 2 lbs a month - I am bouncing up and down, and totally frustrated.

Since I don't like eating much meat, getting enough protein has been a challenge for me - I can't seem to get above 64g/day. I recently made a "bread" out of a can of turkey and an egg (I also threw in 1 tbsp of flaxseed for the fibre, but you can leave it out)

I have been eating 1/4 of this "bread" a day with a slice of deli ham, butter and mustard - which is a treat after the boring diet I tend to eat!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-14, 09:03

BF:

Weight gain from vacation is starting the slide back down. Can't believe 7 days (three still on plan...) of eating away from home caused a 12 pound gain. In just 7 days!

I was hoping to flush out the sodium effects with a bunch of water, but no such luck. It's tenacious and doesn't want to leave.

It was NOT worth it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-14, 09:18

BF:

Yes, I learned that lesson - I almost never cheat anymore, though the temptation is always there!

After bouncing up and down in weight for weeks, then climbing 0.2 every day for nearly two weeks - I was so frustrated and and demoralized!

So I have added more fat - up to 85% fat and cut my carbs back to 11 total carbs - and have been losing every now for the past few days. It seems to require constant experimenting!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 12:56

BF:

I'm slowly sliding back down, but this week is stress X100, so I'm sure that is having an effect. Hopefully next week will see more progress.

I hope so.... we found a tote full of clothes from when I was this weight(ish) way back around 1998. They may be out of style, and have traveled across country twice, but they are FREE!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-14, 03:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelanau
I'm slowly sliding back down, but this week is stress X100, so I'm sure that is having an effect. Hopefully next week will see more progress.

I hope so.... we found a tote full of clothes from when I was this weight(ish) way back around 1998. They may be out of style, and have traveled across country twice, but they are FREE!

Stress is our worst enemy . I expect a bad month for October since my closing date for the house is set for 10/30. It's only bed. Dragging on since February lol.

Funny you still have clothes from 98. I thought I was the only crazy person to do that. I had clothes from 96-02 - I graduated in 98 which was the lowest I ever weighed. I keep trying them on every once in awhile. This last time I tried them on either everything fit or was too big. Got rid of everything except a few pairs of shorts. I have nothing for this winter. I need to hit the thrift stores soon!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-14, 16:25

BF:

I have clothes in my closet from 1974! Maybe it's time to throw them out! LOL
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-14, 14:27

BF:

So.... half of the clothes in that tote are headed to Goodwill. Either my taste has changed, or I was insane when I bought them. As I had a one year old at the time... that is possible.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-14, 05:14

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelanau
So.... half of the clothes in that tote are headed to Goodwill. Either my taste has changed, or I was insane when I bought them. As I had a one year old at the time... that is possible.

Probably both lol. Kids change you and make you crazy!! Sometimes I. A good way and sometimes not so good
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 10:06

BF:

Back within a pound of my pre-vacation weight... finally. Took three times as long to take it off, as it took to put on.

Once again.... soooooooo not worth it.