Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 04:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Monday, 11 September 2017

Here's the latest on Irma:
Quote:
At 5 a.m. EDT, the storm was centered 60 miles north of Tampa. Its eyewall — containing the storm’s most violent winds — had passed northeast of Sarasota. The storm center was plowing north-northwest at 18 mph and expected to weaken as it moves along the northwestern coast of Florida.

Hurricane-force wind gusts were also quite possible on the east coast of parts of Florida into early Monday, the hurricane center said, thanks to Irma’s large wind field.

Irma’s peak winds of 75 mph make it a Category 1 hurricane (down from a Category 4). The National Hurricane Center said Irma is expected to weaken to a tropical storm Monday morning and to a tropical depression by Tuesday afternoon.
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.038a2c57ba88

Last time I spoke to my bro (yesterday afternoon), I told him I would stop bothering him so he could conserve his phone's battery life since powerages were expected. Haven't heard from him since, but I pray that he, his fam and all our extended fam are well! Will share more as I learn more...

According to websites I've checked, over 7 million people are without power.

It's Monday, WARRIORS!

Wishing each of you a totally marvelous day in every single way possible!

Stay WARRIOR Strong!

Weekly Maintenance Update:

3 years, 6 months, 3 weeks and counting...

Wt = 114 lbs.

Carb-Free Food for Thought:

"I’m not where I need to be but thank God, I’m not where I used to be!"
~ By Joyce Meyer

Onward and DOWNWARD, WARRIORS! We've GOT THIS! Woot! Woot!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

De:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
I am doing the same...two dear friends in Florida, one evacuated and one didn't. Praying fiercely. My best friend, the sister I never had ...didn't evacuate. Her sister & Mom are there too. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
Adding my prayers to yours, my friend! Hope your friends are well. Please keep us posted on their status!

Berni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Prayers for all of Florida! My old boss lives by Tampa she did evacuate but some of our other friends are in Orlando and sheltered in place.
My dad lives in a retirement facility in Orlando, Imma praying he's okay. Don't know since he doesn't talk to any of us...

Let us know how all your friends are doing when you find out...
Quote:
Jo.... Praying for your family as well that they are safe and that they will be okay in this devastating storm!
Me too...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 04:43

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

JO if needed give him a very fast call just to check on him no need to chat long, but just hearing from someone to be sure they are still safe is very important and if you chat with him let us know!

Bernie, the hikes are now a priority for me also. With the weather changing I have to still move and hiking seems to be the best way to handle some exercise and I 'do it for the dog' haha cause honestly if it was just me and no dog, I don't know if I would hike as much as I do lol

HI ALL
still busy
got storms approaching but nothing bad
closing pool today, hubby said RAIN and I said I don't care, we will be out in the rain covering that pool cause leaves are flying around and I don't want them in there for next year lol--I want this covered and DONE today! and it will be

this and that as usual
few errands
nothing dramatic

everyone have a fine day
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 06:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

May I ask a question? I'm new to this obviously and a little unsure. I am ordering the original Atkins book from Amazon since it can no longer be downloaded so I'm winging it a bit until I get it. My questions are: do I have to eat breakfast every day? I just struggle to eat first thing. And what about quantities? My husband did the Atkins diet many years ago and ate unlimited amounts of protein and cheeses and lost huge amounts of weight. So when I told him he could not eat all the meat and cheese he wanted this time around he thought I was nuts. Who is right here?? Thank you!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 06:40

BF:

He is right sorry

Dr A said you eat as much of the A72 induction foods as you need to eat to be happy and full. You do not have to self limit at all and if you do you can put yourself into real hunger and cave into carbs. Key is eat all you need to eat to be strong on this way of life....as you go longer your appetite will naturally decrease so you do cut your food by natural choice down the line.

no you do not have to eat in the morning. you eat any time you want to eat, as much as you want, and just hold to the A72 induction foods and you will be wonderful.

hope that helps
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 06:48

BF:
Progress:

😑I hate when he is right, ha ha! Thank you so much for the response. I'm excited about going Atkins as I feel like my husband can make this a lifestyle change. He did not stick with it before as he was single and did not like to cook so he drifted back to eating junk at drive thru windows.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 07:27

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandymoo
May I ask a question? I'm new to this obviously and a little unsure. I am ordering the original Atkins book from Amazon since it can no longer be downloaded so I'm winging it a bit until I get it. My questions are: do I have to eat breakfast every day? I just struggle to eat first thing. And what about quantities? My husband did the Atkins diet many years ago and ate unlimited amounts of protein and cheeses and lost huge amounts of weight. So when I told him he could not eat all the meat and cheese he wanted this time around he thought I was nuts. Who is right here?? Thank you!

Hi Mandypoo!

Actually there ARE limits. Hard cheese is limited to 4 ozs per day ( no soft cheese allowed) and meats should be limited to being satisfied but not stuffed. It takes time to figure out what it takes to be satisfied without over indulging.

As you lose the weight you will find you need to eat less to keep losing weight. Everyone is different. I find I have to keep my calories as well as carbs lower to lose or maintain. Usually men can eat a lot more than us women!

I know there's a huge difference between what I WANT to EAT and what I NEED to eat. Atkins never said eat as much as you want. The whole idea is to eat less so you can lose weight. You also don't need to go hungry. The first few weeks you might eat more as you are adjusting to a new way of eating.Most of us here have food issues with overeating so cutting out carbs helps. Protein is self limiting food, so you don't feel like you want to eat as much.

The wrong kind of carbs make you want to keep eating and eating. You feel more satisfied with a protein meal and greens, without the grains, starches and sugar. It's not as simple as eat as much meat & cheese as you want. Do read the book, read it over and over. It takes some time to figure this all out. I am very carb sensitive, probably more so than most people, what works best for me is to keep my carb count extremely low.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by DelaneyLC : Mon, Sep-11-17 at 07:51.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 03:31

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

How is everyone doing today?

Jo,.., praying your twin and rest of extended family are doing well amidst the devastating damage from Irma! I have not heard from my old boss since Saturday so I continue to pray for all Floridians and anyone else in her path 🙏🙏🙏.
De... Great synopsis of Dr. Atkins plan and how us warriors make it work!

Karen.... Thank you 😊 for answering our newest posters questions! I feel fall in the air here also. However, they are saying some 80's next week I will take it!

Have a terrific Tuesday warriors and take care of yourself!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 04:28

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for the help! Hopefully my book will be here next week. I am normally not a huge protein eater anyway so I think it will be self limiting for me by default and thanks for the tip on the cheese, I can definitely overdo it on cheese!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 04:39

BF:

De, yea it is limits on cheese and 2 cups of lettuce but of course that kind of thing is in the A72 Induction food levels.

but he did say eat every single time you are hungry. and not to limit yourself if you are hungry

that was one of the things that brought me to Dr A
eat when hungry point blank and if it means eating alot thru the day to get you thru then it is ok and this is in following the levels but of course the higher the level the more you should self limit as carbs increase

I honestly think if you tell someone not to eat til full and happy and as much as they want to make the above happen you can fall into a bad trap. One where you are 'hungry' yet limiting yourself 'again as on a stinking diet' and not a lifestyle food change. I absolutely believe we do 'self limit' due to deep ketosis over time and that comes after that initial adaption.

just my take on it all and what I got from the book and what Dr A said

Bernie, yea our temps have dropped so much. not like we are even in the South now LOL

HI ALL
rain rain and more rain
high winds
all good tho, we got storms from the hurricane and that is it
could not cover pool, high winds would make that cover be a sail and couldn't go there so waiting til tomorrow for rest of storms to pass today

all good, nothing much doing

had me some crab legs and melted butter yesterday
omg just too good but the store prices have risen and I do not like that one bit...the sale prices on my crab legs are not good either now....omg these prices are getting annoying to the max now lol

great day all

Last edited by Whirrlly : Tue, Sep-12-17 at 20:59.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 05:10
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Tuesday, 12 September 2017

Happy Tuesday, WARRIORS!

Hope all is well and wishing each of you a totally kick Azz, BAD Azz 100% OP day as usual!

Stay WARRIOR Strong!

Was really a rough w/e for me, worrying about my fam in Florida. Was totally exhausted yesterday afternoon from the stress of it all, came home ate dinner and was in bed by 7 pm.

Haven't heard anything from my bro since Sunday afternoon... praying that "no news is good news." I texted him yesterday morning and got no response...

I know there are power outages all over FL (6.5 million people affected) and from what I've gleaned by googling the power outages, almost 2/3 of FL is without power.

The maps I've seen include the areas where my fam and extended fam live... (sources: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/11/res...some-areas.html & http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...-htmlstory.html)

So hopefully, they are all waiting for power to be restored and I'll hear from him soon...

"Getting to your ideal weight goal & maintaining it is NOT a PUNISHMENT, it's PRESERVATION!"
~ By lindalove 12.02.15

Karen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
JO if needed give him a very fast call just to check on him no need to chat long, but just hearing from someone to be sure they are still safe is very important and if you chat with him let us know!
Tried without success, Imma thinking if power is OUT, so are the cell phone towers, etc...
Quote:
still busy
got storms approaching but nothing bad
closing pool today, hubby said RAIN and I said I don't care, we will be out in the rain covering that pool cause leaves are flying around and I don't want them in there for next year lol--I want this covered and DONE today! and it will be

this and that as usual
few errands
nothing dramatic
Wow, so pool season has finally ended for you.

I know you hate to see that happen being our sun/heat lovin' warrior and all... Can totally understand wanting to cover your pool to protect it from getting leaves and crap in it!
Quote:
everyone have a fine day
Thanks, hope your Monday was fine as well!
Quote:
but he did say eat every single time you are hungry. and not to limit yourself if you are hungry
I know for me personally, if I don't LIMIT myself I can easily OVEREAT even on perfectly 100% OP foods. I don't have that switch that says "you're FULL Stop eating..." There seems to be a lot of us around like that!
Quote:
could not cover pool, high winds would make that cover be a sail and couldn't go there so waiting til tomorrow for rest of storms to pass today
Bummer about not being able to cover the pool yesterday, hope you get it covered soon!

Mandymoo:

Howdy, Mandy! If you're waiting on the book, I posted the Induction Rules, Foods List, DR No No's & Other Notes on the first page of this thread.

You don't HAVE to eat breakfast, actually the secret is to only eat when you are truly hungry, not "head" hungry...

I only eat once a day, so I skip both breakfast, lunch and only have dinner.

Been doing this since July 2013. Helps me keep my food related issues under control! And I wasn't a breakfast eater BEFORE I seriously tackled my re-start back in '13. I haven't eaten breakfast since around mid-school age... So I really only gave up one meal.

I totally agree with De about the "huge difference between what I WANT to EAT and what I NEED to eat." B/c I can eat all flippin' day LONG even on perfectly 100% OP foods... I have portion control issues to the MAX...so I have to vigilantly watch how much I eat IF I want to maintain my weight loss and the good health that comes with that.

I also found out that I am only truly sated when I have a big meal, so eating once a day has really taken care of that for me!

I don't do cheese b/c it's like crack to me and I can easily binge on it!

Dr A said this on page 8 that truly resonates with me every single day:
Quote:
One thing I have learned is that there's no fixed formula that works for everybody.

Berni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Jo,.., praying your twin and rest of extended family are doing well amidst the devastating damage from Irma! I have not heard from my old boss since Saturday so I continue to pray for all Floridians and anyone else in her path 🙏🙏🙏.
Imma patiently waiting and praying it's only the power outages that are preventing him from contacting me... will text again later this am...

Hope you hear from your old boss soon!
Quote:
Have a terrific Tuesday warriors and take care of yourself!
Thanks, I shall! Hope you do too!

Hard to believe we are already into week 5 of the school year! Holy Hannah!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 04:57
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Wowzer, last one here yesterday and 1st one in here this mornin'..

Happy Hump Day, WARRIORS!

Wishing each of you a totally wondrous Wednesday as we slide down towards the w/e!

Stay WARRIOR Strong!

Still haven't heard anything from my fam in Florida. Praying and hoping the only problem they are experiencing is power outage. From the little bit of research I've been able to do, almost 75% of the county they live in is still w/o power...

Ironically this is what the Florida Power and Light Company has on their Power Tracker Website:

Alert: Due to Hurricane Irma, we are experiencing problems with our systems. We are working to resolve these issues and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

Experiencing problems with their systems? They're probably w/o power as well...

Our carb addiction is not logical or rational, that's why we self-sabotage knowing full well there WILL BE negative consequences for our OFF PLAN eating.

But in that "MOMENT" whilst getting our carb-age "fix" we don't think at ALL about those consequences...

~ by me 12.03.15

#27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 06:43

BF:

yea JO it has to be the power I am sure at this point. It is alot to fix down there!! Still sending prayers to everyone!!

HI ALL
fast one
off to shop a little for some stuff kid needs for school and then taking doggie to the walking track right after. fast shop...omg I am sooooooo sick of stores! I now have to find a way to delete stores point blank from my life except on a few trips a month. I think I will plan up on this cause I am to the point of insanity with stores If ya ain't got it and need it, put it on the list and I will get it on my next scheduled errand run LOL yea that might work

got me 4 thin pork chops for brunch later
got 2 big hunks of sirloin to eat for dinner
and have sardines, cheese, bacon and more if needed

great day all
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 09:08

BF:
Progress:

Another question. Can I have avocado? It isn't on the "no" list but I don't see it addressed in the fats either.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 16:00

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Another question. Can I have avocado? It isn't on the "no" list but I don't see it addressed in the fats either.

Avocado isn't on the induction level. If you go up the ladder later on you can add it in if that works for you.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 04:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Thursday, 14 September 2017

Happy Friday Eve, WARRIORS!

Hope all is well and wishing each of you a totally kick Azz, BAD Azz 100% OP Thursday!

Stay WARRIOR Strong!

Texted my bro again yesterday morning and finally got a response!

They are all well but they won't get their power back until Sunday or Monday!

We didn't get into if he or any of the extended fam had damage to property etc... There will be time for that when he gets his power back!

All I care about is that they are all safe and doing well!

Never trade what you want the MOST for what you want at the MOMENT.

It only leads to FAILURE!

~ unknown

Karen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
yea JO it has to be the power I am sure at this point. It is alot to fix down there!! Still sending prayers to everyone!!
They are fixing power to hospitals, fire stations etc first then private citizens, which makes sense. And you're right, there's a lot of power that needs to be restored for sure!

I read that Disney World was back up and opened on Tuesday... sounds odd but Florida needs the tourist $$$$ badly NOW!

Did you hear that 25% of the homes in the Florida Keys were completely destroyed? OMG how sad for all those families!
Quote:
off to shop a little for some stuff kid needs for school and then taking doggie to the walking track right after. fast shop...omg I am sooooooo sick of stores! I now have to find a way to delete stores point blank from my life except on a few trips a month. I think I will plan up on this cause I am to the point of insanity with stores If ya ain't got it and need it, put it on the list and I will get it on my next scheduled errand run LOL yea that might work
Still school shopping for the DD? I thought that was done... you poor thing! I hear ya on the "hate to shop" thingy, but sometimes its a necessary evil like groceries!

Mandy:
Quote:
Avocados are not an A '72 Induction Food. Here are the veggies allowed in Induction:

Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives. |page 135|

Avocados (carbs = 2.4 g per ounce) are allowed if one is climbing the carb levels, like De said!

Dr A. mentions them on page 138:

The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus:

Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Out of all the LC WOE plans, IMHO, A '72 Induction is probably the most restrictive but for those of us with chronic carb metabolic processing disorder & carb addiction to the MAX, it's the only way for us to lose the weight and keep it off for better health!