Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#931   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 05:14

Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/195.2/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Had breakfast/brunch at an Asian style buffet yesterday. Lot's of traps there as far as PUFA goes, I'm sure I ingested some along the way, kind of like a contact ingestion from just being there - Very good choices available too and I took advantage of those, This I would normally have tried but suspected oil was deep fried crab (no breading, just crab quarters), stir fried onion/pepper/cabbage beef, salad dressings - That's the one thing I miss is a huge salad drenched in dressing - On Plan but off task for the moment. I'd rather not eat salads and not bring dressing, In those situations I'll probably throw the protein on top of a salad, along with the drippings and call it a day.

So, as far as being mindful on this experiment I'll consider yesterday a day when I ingested some PUFA - Skin is really clear on my fast the last few weeks, I'll keep an eye on it and wait for any delayed reaction - attributable or not
Sponsored Links
  #932   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 11:39

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 220/192/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I believe you'll be fine. PUFAs are generally the predominant fat when eating out. They're cheaper than olive oil and you can assume anything sauteed or stir fried is done with PUFAs, as peanut oil is avoided now due to allergy concerns. I've had to be aware of this fact when I'm traveling. I often ask for oil & vinegar on the side to dress my salads, as I can be sure by the fragrance that it's real olive oil. PUFAs can be as menacing to health as today's wheat. Hey, it's a jungle out there!!!
  #933   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-17, 05:11

BF:

Another dance with the devil of PUFA yesterday at brunch, I was able to sit this one out as I found the sour cream and horse radish sauce used on the prime rib makes good dressing for greens too!

Another couple of weeks and out. I'll probably contiunue to avoid PUFA and certainly Sweeteners - They are the most obvious things to avoid, sort of like big bricks in your path. I don't have data to say they are good or bad for health but they are so large and obvious they are easy to avoid so why not

Thanks all, hope you have a good week!
  #934   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-17, 17:31

BF:

My plan will be to practice these 2 habits for 3 months or so. I began January 2, 2017 and will see how I feel and consider the benefits April 1 , 2017. I'll post observations and or struggles when they occur.

1) Avoid Sweeteners: This includes natural as well as lab made.

2) Avoid "un-healthier" Oils: ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/ ) In particular oils high in PUFA and/or over processed.

Observations:

I've having good success with this practice. FWIW the skin on my face has not had an outbreak of eczema in weeks! Main macro changes have been NO sweeteners, NO PUFA and MORE sun as it's getting stronger, VERY low dairy consumption since a long time ago. No significant eczema on limbs either.

I'm currious if I should just continue avoidance or add ONE Of those things back in large quantities for a period of time. Outbreaks could also be the result of just normal coming and going and not related at all

I was thinking about doing another 90 days starting April 1 -

My daily meditation practice needs some re-enforcement and I'd also like to work on this book "Convict Conditioning" it's a body weight resistance book. I've been doing a pushup challenge with a friend and my triceps and pecs are getting a good work out. I'd like to cover all the body and I think this approach will work. It's all about function - not just about muscle swell

about 2 weeks to go. I appreciate you guys!
  #935   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-17, 21:29

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 220/192/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Adding things one-at-a-time in large doses could only make sense with dairy, and the irony here is that you had already cut back on dairy. FWIW, the PUFAs and the sweeteners are likely the culprits here. Do you really think it's an "either or" or could you just chalk it all up to "the sum of all parts" and take heart in the results as proving you made progress by eliminating two unhealthy substances? Sometimes I ignore the success staring me straight in the face while I'm distracted by inconsequential details.

As for meditation, the more you relax your expectations and ignore rigid rules, the easier it becomes. If you try too hard, results become elusive. There's an app called headspace and you can download it at https://www.headspace.com. This is an app that eases you into meditation in the right way. For anyone new to meditation, the headspace Take10, which provides free meditation guidance, is an excellent place to start. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Another 90 days starting April 1st? Yeah, sounds good!

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Mar-16-17 at 21:40.
  #936   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-17, 05:31

BF:

Thanks for the input Rob! After further review I think you have a good point about "wanting to know" if these things had anything to do with it or not (dariy, PUFA and Sweeteners) I can live pretty well without them - PUFA a little trickier, not for taste but for it's ubiquity and many names

I'll check your meditation recommendation. I have a very basic practice but lately I've been spending more time listening to and considering talks. Balancing it with more time on the cushion will be welcome.
  #937   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 03:51

BF:

My plan will be to practice these 2 habits for 3 months or so. I began January 2, 2017 and will see how I feel and consider the benefits April 1 , 2017. I'll post observations and or struggles when they occur.

1) Avoid Sweeteners: This includes natural as well as lab made.

2) Avoid "un-healthier" Oils: ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/ ) In particular oils high in PUFA and/or over processed.

Observations:

Had a moment yesterday when I was weak and hungry from a long kiteboarding session. I had a 3 hour drive in front of my and picked a spot to have some coffee and maybe a couple of hot dog inserts. I got some coffee and took a sip, cold, bluch... OK not diet soda for me. Hot dogs looked like they were from the 90's - I'll pass on those, damit! Now I'm getting a bit cranky as I can't get a junkfood fix. I think "Almonds! that's the ticket" and find them and as I"m figuring out "wasabi flavor or smoked or lightly sal.... WAIT A TICK! these are fried in PUFA aaaahhhhgggggg!" I got some plain pork rinds and got out of there.

After eating the entire bag of pork rinds (I think it was about 3.5 oz) and finding some coffee down the road, about 30 minutes later I had the realization that I was full - I was not hungry. Thank you pig and your skin for gift to me yesterday. You gave your all so that I could be momentarily satisfied. I hope one day to be able to give back to you and your kind.

hush, the end of March is neigh...
  #938   ^
Old Yesterday, 13:07

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/200/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 104%
Default Day 81 of 90

Challenge parameters:
1) No artificial sweeteners. No diet soda, no sucralose, no aspartame.
2) Dairy elimination trial. Saying goodbye to cheese, HWC, cottage cheese, and even butter for a while.
3) Track food daily and keep calories under 2200 and net carbs < 35 on average for the duration of this challenge.

This 90 day challenge is not quite over, but I'm going to give myself an early grade anyway -- a report card of sorts.

For #1 - No artificial sweeteners - I get an A. I may have had trace amounts of AS once or twice over this period, but I stopped drinking regular diet soda and stopped using Splenda, sucralose drops, and aspartame (Equal). I have made my own soda on occasion - making carbonated water and adding stevia based water enhancers. I really don't miss soda much. I do like my gelatin, though. I've made SF gelatin with Kool-Aid & natural sweeteners. It's not as convenient, but I make it work and I like the results. I have not really noticed any real health benefits from abstaining from AS, yet I see no reason to add them back to my diet. I won't avoid them like the plague, but for the most part I plan to keep this up.

For #2 - No Dairy (including no butter) - I earn a B+. I did intentionally consume dairy a couple of times. I ate cheese twice, small amounts of HWC a couple of times, and a few pats of butter here and there. Overall, I'd say my dairy consumption was cut by more than 98%. It was a big part of my diet before. I did this to test the effects of dairy on my cholesterol. The cholesterol labs are now done and I did have a significant improvement - the best results ever in fact. I don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this "no dairy" trial resulted in better cholesterol numbers, but considering that Rob had a similar result I'm thinking that I just might have an issue with dairy. Other than those much improved cholesterol numbers, I didn't notice any other health benefits from going dairy free. I miss my butter & HWC. A taco salad without sour cream is not a taco salad. I like cheese. So I will return to eating dairy. However; I will be mindful about how much I consume. I won't be as liberal with it as I once was. If my cholesterol goes nuts as a result, I will reconsider whether I should be eating dairy.

For #3 - Logging all food and eating within limits - I have to give myself a C-. I'd give myself a D, but I did log most days accurately and I didn't gain weight over this time. I had some bad days (overeating) and failed to log my food several times. I could have and should have done better on this one.

Though not stated specifically in my challenge parameters I really wanted to lose some weight over this 90 day period. It didn't happen. After my 10K race on April 1st I will do this challenge again with losing 10 pounds as being the primary goal. Tracking food every single day is a lot to ask for. I will shoot for consistency with my eating. I know my problem OP foods and I need to deal with those issues.

So I guess I'm ending this challenge here and now. I'll continue with #1, eat some cheese and butter, and nourish my body appropriately in preparation for my 10K next week.

Last edited by khrussva : Yesterday at 16:28.
  #939   ^
Old Yesterday, 16:09

BF:

Thanks for the report card Ken! I'm ambivalent about Sweeteners and PUFA at this point. I think I will consider Rob's insight and rather than add them back to see if there are issues I'll continue to avoid them but perhaps with not the same vigilance I've used during the last 3 months. But I don't need to make that decision today... Thanks again!