Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:42

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

I've heard that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14 but back then a 14 was really a 10 in "modern" sizes. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that...I'm kinda glad that it's probably not true.

This addiction society has with size is insane. I don't want to be smaller then a size 10, ever. I'm not jealous of people who weigh 100lbs and are 5'9. I'm 5'8 and I seriously don't want to weight less then 160ish.

These stupid standards we set for women is remarkable, a medium boned female of my height is NOT attractive in a size 2.

I guess we're all supposed to turn into 5'3 95lbs clones.

As far as the show goes, well they are trying out to be cheerleaders, and to be perfectly honest...most cannot even spell their own name. It is disgusting how the girls are picked apart yet they've put themselves in a position to be picked apart, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleK
I've heard that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14 but back then a 14 was really a 10 in "modern" sizes. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that...I'm kinda glad that it's probably not true.

This addiction society has with size is insane. I don't want to be smaller then a size 10, ever. I'm not jealous of people who weigh 100lbs and are 5'9. I'm 5'8 and I seriously don't want to weight less then 160ish.

These stupid standards we set for women is remarkable, a medium boned female of my height is NOT attractive in a size 2.

I guess we're all supposed to turn into 5'3 95lbs clones.

As far as the show goes, well they are trying out to be cheerleaders, and to be perfectly honest...most cannot even spell their own name. It is disgusting how the girls are picked apart yet they've put themselves in a position to be picked apart, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

People forget how tall Monroe was. 5'8" in the 1950's was tall for a women. Maryln was also a model in the 1940's. If you see pictures of her then, you would be amazed. Dark Brown hair, very thin...she looked about 118-120lbs. When she hit hollywood, her weight slowly rose. By the time she was in her 30's, she never told anyone her true weight.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%

if you want to watch a show that shows healthy looking girls, watch So You Think You Can Dance--its on in the summer. Almost all the girls are skinny, but they have muscles and they are unbelievably athletic/flexible. I never get jealous when I see skinny people, I get jealous when I see them getting to do things that I would love to do such as running fast, playing sports, trying on clothes and having them fit, plus a million other things.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 13:11

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Wow.. Watching a TV show and becoming envious and feeling bad about yourself over someone you've NEVER even met? To me, that is just so strange. Do you become jealous over random people you see out on the street who are smaller than you? Do you get jealous and envious and hate yourself just because you see a girl in a bikini at the pool? C'mon. Let's stop blaming everything on TV. These girls are competing very hard for a top spot and need to be in top PHYSICAL CONDITION. Being a size 14 with no muscle definition is NOT top physical condition. That's not a societal stigmata, that's the truth.
Personally, there are way more horrible things on TV to worry about than this. Tuned into MTV's the Real World lately? While I do like the show, I would never ever want anyone under 17 watching it.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 14:21

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzend001
if you want to watch a show that shows healthy looking girls, watch So You Think You Can Dance--its on in the summer. Almost all the girls are skinny, but they have muscles and they are unbelievably athletic/flexible. I never get jealous when I see skinny people, I get jealous when I see them getting to do things that I would love to do such as running fast, playing sports, trying on clothes and having them fit, plus a million other things.

I watch So You Think You Can Dance too, I really enjoy it... yes the girls on it are sooooo flexible and move in amazing ways, personally I watch them and get really motivated to stick to good eating habits, looking good and looking after my health .... so my point is use it as a motivation
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzend001

All dancers are required to be thin and athletic. They have to be thin because male dancers have to pick them up. All ballet dancers are like that. If they can't control their weight, they can be fired.

Because they sport is also artistic, gymnists and figure skaters have to watch their weight also.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%

i do use those girls as motivation. i love their muscles. they are so powerful and strong. i think they are healthy role models.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 16:54

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Well, I do not see how a cheerleader makes you feel bad about yourself, unless you are trying to be a cheerleader, lol. I like my body at its current size, seeing someone with a better body does not bother me. There will always be someone thinner than me and with a better body, I can live with that now.