Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 09:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default "The Gluten Connection"

http://www.glutenconnection.com/uof...010152720090624

Not that I'm trying to push this book...but its published by Rodale, who just happen to be the people behind the SBD.

SB pushes a lot of whole wheat crap. I can see how much easier it is to see weight loss and maintain when I leave wheat out of my diet. Wheat has gluten in it and for many, it is a poison to their bodies.

When I see the word gluten, I see its prefix glu= glue!! as in it sticks to your body...LIKE GLUE!!!! get it?

While I would like to see all of us go wheat free as part of this plan, I know that not all want to do this....but this book may just convince.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't think I have celiac disease bu tmay have gluten intolerance. I haven't been tested but just eliminated it from my diet for a short, few week period and I feel sooo much better.
My surgery wreaked havoc on my system and I've been trying to figure out the problem for the last 2 years. The doctor diagnosed IBS (after 5 minutes) which is really a catchall term for lots of similar symptoms.
This way of eating seems to help me and that's all I care about
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 13:55
Attitude is a Choice

Good for you Iris!

Maybe we need a "wheat free club".
South Beach Diet ...minus wheat!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 06:08

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 167/156/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
SB pushes a lot of whole wheat crap.

I don't have my book in front of me at the moment, but I seem to remember the Doc discussing whole wheat vs. whole grains in supercharged, and explaining that there IS a difference and that whole GRAIN is much, much better. The book explained the process from which whole wheat is made, that it's really not whole at all, etc.

We all have different things that affect us. Apparently, cheese is a no-no for me, while I'm trying to lose weight. For others, it's fine. Though, I am staying away from the grains for a while because I trust your experience and judgement...and if you think it's bad....then that's good enough for me! I mean heck, I've been too afraid to even reintroduce FRUIT...I think it will be a LONG WHILE before I think about grains.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:07
Attitude is a Choice

I do eat grain Kellyanne....just not wheat. There are other grains that are whole. Ie: Wasa Rye crispbreads work for me, brown rice by itself and its used to make pastas and some breads, oats, barely, millet, quinoa, spelt, etc.
I also enjoy Ezekiel sprouted grain flourless bread that I get from my local health food store. I keep it frozen and it lasts a long time. I toast a slice every now and then.

As far as I'm concerned, I can avoid wheat and still eat some grain each day. Its not an all or nothing thing for me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Celiac and Vitamin D
thought this short You Tube Video, was interesting.
Most people who have gluten intolerance or celiac are vitamin D deficient.
It may be cause or effect but it's likely that you are burning more vitamin D than most.
Generally we find that most people can raise 25(OH)D status by 10ng for each extra 1000iu/daily/d3. Often this doesn't work and more is needed but Dr Vikki Petersen says folks with Celiac need DOUBLE the normal amount. So if people have given up wheat and find their 25(OH)D still doesn't correct with effective amounts (she's talking about 6000iu/d ish) then it would seem like the disease process is burning D3 at a faster than normal rate or it's an absorption problem.
Might have to consider other routes. UVB massage spray?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, just to give you all an update.
I started SBD again 2 weeks ago (having tried it once before with success) and I ALSO cut out all gluten.
I have lost 8-9 lbs in two weeks (better than the last time) AND I am out of the excruciating pain and cramping I've had since my hysterectomy 2 years ago.
I've even had wine (!) and still losing.
I feel like I finally figured out what was "wrong" with me.
Having known people with celiac disease I didn't fit the profile (see the google but I probably have a gluten intolerance.
I have zero cravings, my stomach is flatter now and my insides feel great. Bathroom habits are 100% better. TMI, I know
My goal is to lose 10 lbs more. But I'm sure there are people here with a higher goal wh might also have gluten intolerance and haven't tried an "elimination" approach to finding out.
I just decided to eliminate everything but lean protein and veggies for two weeks and voilą! Thought I'd (over)share
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 18:13

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

another good book is Going Against the Grain by Melissa Smith

quitting gluten can be tough, it is an addiction for many

dairy is my poison
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 19:05
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris43
Well, just to give you all an update.
I started SBD again 2 weeks ago (having tried it once before with success) and I ALSO cut out all gluten.
I have lost 8-9 lbs in two weeks (better than the last time) AND I am out of the excruciating pain and cramping I've had since my hysterectomy 2 years ago.
I've even had wine (!) and still losing.
I feel like I finally figured out what was "wrong" with me.
Having known people with celiac disease I didn't fit the profile (see the google but I probably have a gluten intolerance.
I have zero cravings, my stomach is flatter now and my insides feel great. Bathroom habits are 100% better. TMI, I know
My goal is to lose 10 lbs more. But I'm sure there are people here with a higher goal wh might also have gluten intolerance and haven't tried an "elimination" approach to finding out.
I just decided to eliminate everything but lean protein and veggies for two weeks and voilą! Thought I'd (over)share

That is just great news Iris!! Good for you and thanks for telling us!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 19:06
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsey
another good book is Going Against the Grain by Melissa Smith

quitting gluten can be tough, it is an addiction for many

dairy is my poison

I actually have the book and it is a good one!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 05:22
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Ok, I'm on board. I have had gut issues for years, even before my hysterectomy, which have gotten worse over the years. I know its gluten, but I keep coming up with excuses, trying to be normal, like everyone else. Going out to eat is a challenge, people think my dietary habits are strange. Sometimes its impossible to find anything on the menu that doesn't contain gluten. I will buy the Gluten Connection and look at Going Against the Grain. I'm so tired of feeling awful, between being fat, having "IBS" and fibromyalgia I feel as though I'm losing the battle. You guys inspire me to keep fighting to get better. If Iris and Judy can do it, I can too!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 08:42
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
Ok, I'm on board. I have had gut issues for years, even before my hysterectomy, which have gotten worse over the years. I know its gluten, but I keep coming up with excuses, trying to be normal, like everyone else. Going out to eat is a challenge, people think my dietary habits are strange. Sometimes its impossible to find anything on the menu that doesn't contain gluten. I will buy the Gluten Connection and look at Going Against the Grain. I'm so tired of feeling awful, between being fat, having "IBS" and fibromyalgia I feel as though I'm losing the battle. You guys inspire me to keep fighting to get better. If Iris and Judy can do it, I can too!

If you are an IBS person and go gluten free, it will totally change your life....and your weight!! There are other grains that do not contain gluten like brown rice and a few others. But to start, no grain will surely do you well.

And just so you know, I am not totally gluten free as I do eat a bit of rye...but I am wheat free 99% of the time and that alone makes my maintenance much easier.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks for the encouragement Judy. I ordered the book and I'm going to stay away from wheat from now on. How about oatmeal, does that bother you? A bowl of oatmeal doesn't bother my insides nearly as much as a slice of bread.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 08:57
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Judy. I ordered the book and I'm going to stay away from wheat from now on. How about oatmeal, does that bother you? A bowl of oatmeal doesn't bother my insides nearly as much as a slice of bread.

There is actually a place that sells "guaranteed gluten free oats"...just google that.
I do eat oatmeal with no problems just not every day... I do not have an intolerance to grain and too much will effect my weight....so I do strictly limit them.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 12:42
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:

Just for future reference (and no, not all of these options are 'low carb'):

Chipotle - I e-mailed their head office, and their entire menu is gluten free except the tortillas. Their burrito 'bowl' is excellent. Not sure what phase of SB you're on - but you can get the burrito bowl with black beans or without. (I mean, in addition to the other meat/veggies in there). I like this idea - the entire menu is gluten free with the one exception of the tortillas. That means everything you see on display is g/f. Nice! No worries about seasonings, additives and such. I've even asked for extra veggies in place of rice/beans, and no hassles.

PF Changs - has a whole separate gluten-free menu. They'll bring wheat-free tamari (soy sauce) to the table and so on. They are very good at gluten free. They even have g/f desserts. Um, this chain has an entirely separate area in their kitchens for gluten-free cooking.

Outback - they *also* have a gluten free menu. I recently ate there, and decided to have a minor 'carb up' - had a nice baked sweet potato with my steak and vegetable meal. They did a good job on their gluten-free menu.

Jonny Carinos - apparently has a gluten free menu as well, but I've never tried it. You can apparently get things like fancy chicken with spinach and stuff like that.

Wendys - their chili is gluten free, so are their fries (no, I have *not* eaten their fries or their chili - just did some research in advance of a vacation awhile back).

It's been awhile since I visited Chili's - if I want to go there again, I will be e-mailing to ask them if their fajitas are gluten-free (ie. if I skip the tortillas that come with it).

From what I remember - there's gluten in practically everything at McDonalds - I looked into it, and I distinctly remember thinking, "No way I'm eating there...even if I can get low-carb stuff".

Anyway - just wanted to give you a few 'gluten-free' ideas for eating out.