Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Food Intolerance (a discussion thread)

I would like to start a discussion about food intolerance and it's impact on weight loss.

Has anybody found that eating the same foods leads to food intolerance (it's a phrase I came across when reading about IF)? It means when you eat the same things over and over your weight loss starts to plateau. I don't know if the statement was personal opinion of fact based.

It seems I tend to eat the same foods (pork loin or beef steak) most meals. I have green beans and a salad with it. Those are the only two vegetables I eat besides the occasional pickle.

I have been implementing intermittent fasting. In so, I have been eating one meal a day with maybe one snack. My fasting window goes from 22hrs to 18hrs on most days. The majority of the time I eat the same things so I am not getting a lot of variety in what I eat.

I have never been one to eat a wide variety of foods. I tend to stick to a few favorite meals.

Does anybody have any good articles or information on whether eating the same foods leads to food intolerance? And does it lead to weight loss plateaus?

I'm in my 4th week of eating low carb and am loving it. The weight is coming off and I feel great. I'm just curious about whether or not I need to mix it up more when it comes to meals.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Last edited by SKOL : Fri, Jul-21-17 at 14:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 15:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I don't have a series of articles on the topic of developing a food intolerance. It's mainly because I don't worry about it. If you aren't getting bored with your meal choices, I recommend you not worry about it either. You're making good progress. Sometimes, when reading a lot about a relatively new topic, you encounter many different approaches and discover that some have very different reactions to a certain way of eating. We are all different; therefore, your experiences won't be the same. It's fine that you have a consistent meal plan with a large window of time between feedings. Consuming a limited amount of food types is also fine. Over time, you may want to branch out. You'll know when that time comes. In the meantime, enjoy continuing the journey to good health!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
Has anybody found that eating the same foods leads to food intolerance ?

It would very likely be the opposite. The new treatment for severe peanut allergy is peanuts.

Quote:
It seems I tend to eat the same foods (pork loin or beef steak) most meals. I have green beans and a salad with it. Those are the only two vegetables I eat besides the occasional pickle.

I have never been one to eat a wide variety of foods. I tend to stick to a few favorite meals.

Keep doing what is working.
You could take a multivitamin is you wanted a bit of protection from nutrient deficiency. But as Dr. Fung would say, "You don't have a nutrient problem, you are solving your weight problem. Focus !".

Quote:
whether eating the same foods leads to food intolerance? And does it lead to weight loss plateaus?

No. No.

It does sound like you have a more restricted food list than most people. Don't worry about it. When you are at your goal weight ... or if you feel like it ... Learn to branch out a bit more.

I sometimes feel monotony is helpful for people losing weight. Food isn't entertainment. It is only to feed your body. Get entertainment elsewhere. Food shouldn't be a focus in your life. I like how the 2 weeks of Dietdoctor have last night's dinner for lunch the next day. Sets up for teaching you discipline and seeing food as sustenance and not a way to "make you happy".

Quote:
I'm in my 4th week of eating low carb and am loving it. The weight is coming off and I feel great. I'm just curious about whether or not I need to mix it up more when it comes to meals.

Keep your head down and maintain focus !
Go Go Go Go !

As you get better at LC / LCHF, I found it easy to skip meals. And then I wasn't hungry at the next meal ... so I .... you get the gist.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

That's little reassuring, guys. Thanks. I did start to take a multi-vitamin when I began this way of eating (just to make sure I'm getting all my vitamins and minerals).

I mixed it up tonight and made canned chicken pizza. It was pretty tasty.

Last edited by SKOL : Fri, Jul-21-17 at 17:35.